Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Andreas Marschke

Default unusual QT_PLUGIN_PATH paths

Hi,

I have a default KDE installation using squeeze(testing) for work and
development. I have by default following paths set:
/home/$USER/.kde/lib/kde4/plugins/:/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/
Following package libqtscript4-qtbindings(source-package:qscriptgenerator)
installs more plugins in /usr/share/qt4/plugin/qscript/.
But the package doesn't extend the QT_PLUGIN_PATH in result to installing it
in that path. Is there a technical reason not to add this to the PATH or is
that just something nobody thought of because nobody is using it?

TIA ,

Andreas Marschke.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 11 Kovas 2010 16:43:52 Andreas Marschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a default KDE installation using squeeze(testing) for work and
> development. I have by default following paths set:
> /home/$USER/.kde/lib/kde4/plugins/:/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/
> Following package libqtscript4-qtbindings(source-package:qscriptgenerator)
> installs more plugins in /usr/share/qt4/plugin/qscript/.
> But the package doesn't extend the QT_PLUGIN_PATH in result to installing
> it in that path. Is there a technical reason not to add this to the PATH
> or is that just something nobody thought of because nobody is using it?

Because these plugins are special (QtScript bindings).

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Andreas Marschke

> Because these plugins are special (QtScript bindings).

The QScript Plugins was just one example of it the fact remains that the rest
of the plugins installed in that directory are not part of the variable.
what I actually mean was why is /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ not part of the
QT_PLUGIN_PATH since those are genuine plugins to Qt or arent they?

QScript was just on my mind because I happen to use it over kross which comes
with a "include" function for QtScript so that kross Scripts using QtScript as
their interpreter can get access to these functions and arent left aloe in a
dead end.

Cheers,

Andreas Marschke.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Modestas Vainius

Sveiki,

On ketvirtadienis 11 Kovas 2010 17:52:25 Andreas Marschke wrote:
> > Because these plugins are special (QtScript bindings).
>
> The QScript Plugins was just one example of it the fact remains that the
> rest of the plugins installed in that directory are not part of the
> variable. what I actually mean was why is /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ not part
> of the QT_PLUGIN_PATH since those are genuine plugins to Qt or arent they?

/usr/share/qt4/plugins/ ? qtscriptgenerator binaries are installed to
/usr/lib/qt4/plugins/script/ [1]. Architecture dependent stuff in /usr/share
would be a very serious bug.

> QScript was just on my mind because I happen to use it over kross which
> comes with a "include" function for QtScript so that kross Scripts using
> QtScript as their interpreter can get access to these functions and arent
> left aloe in a dead end.

qtscriptgenerator has nothing to with kross, afaik.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
George Kiagiadakis

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> wrote:
> Sveiki,
>
> On ketvirtadienis 11 Kovas 2010 17:52:25 Andreas Marschke wrote:
>> > Because these plugins are special (QtScript bindings).
>>
>> The QScript Plugins was just one example of it the fact remains that the
>> rest of the plugins installed in that directory are not part of the
>> variable. what I actually mean was why is /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ not part
>> of the QT_PLUGIN_PATH since those are genuine plugins to Qt or arent they?
>
> /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ ? qtscriptgenerator binaries are installed to
> /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/script/ [1]. Architecture dependent stuff in /usr/share
> would be a very serious bug.

Hello,
This directory is a link actually:

% ls -l /usr/share/qt4/plugins
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 May 18 2008 /usr/share/qt4/plugins ->
../../lib/qt4/plugins/

and the directory where it points to (/usr/lib/qt4/plugins) is the
default plugin dir for Qt and doesn't need to be in QT_PLUGIN_PATH. Qt
looks in there by default. I hope that answers the original question.

Regards,
George

Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Andreas Marschke

Am Donnerstag 11 März 2010 20:20:14 schrieb George Kiagiadakis:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
wrote:
> > Sveiki,

> >> The QScript Plugins was just one example of it the fact remains that the
> >> rest of the plugins installed in that directory are not part of the
> >> variable. what I actually mean was why is /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ not
> >> part of the QT_PLUGIN_PATH since those are genuine plugins to Qt or
> >> arent they?
> >
> > /usr/share/qt4/plugins/ ? qtscriptgenerator binaries are installed to
> > /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/script/ [1]. Architecture dependent stuff in
> > /usr/share would be a very serious bug.
>
> Hello,
> This directory is a link actually:
>
> % ls -l /usr/share/qt4/plugins
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 May 18 2008 /usr/share/qt4/plugins ->
> ../../lib/qt4/plugins/
>
> and the directory where it points to (/usr/lib/qt4/plugins) is the
> default plugin dir for Qt and doesn't need to be in QT_PLUGIN_PATH. Qt
> looks in there by default. I hope that answers the original question.
>
> Regards,
> George

Thanks for the explanation. My problem now is that its not working in Kross
atm. I probably need to talk to the developers if and see if they can fix
this.

Cheers,

Andreas Marschke.