Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default Desktop search: should background processes be (io)niced?

I'm trying to take advantage of the newly usable desktop search feature
and have selected several GBs of documents for indexing. The drawback is
that the various processes associated with this task -- nepomukservices,
virtuoso-t -- chew heavily on the CPU and slurp away I/O bandwidth.

I noticed one nepomukservices process that is running at nice level 19,
all other related processes apparently have nice level 0. I don't know
if there is any ionice-ing done at all. Shouldn't all these processes be
running in such a way as to yield CPU and I/O bandwidth to other
processes?

The only possible reason against this might be issues with priority
inversion, where a higher priority (UI) app is waiting for a lower
priority server process to reply, while at the same time precluding the
lower priority process from getting any work done. However, I have no
idea whether this case can occur at all.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de