FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Michael Thaler
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hi,

I just upgraded from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.1 from http://qt-kde.debian.net/
I upgraded from a running 4.3.4 session. The window manager got killed while
upgrading (but the shell window was still there and useable), other then that
everything was o.k.

KDE 4.4.1 started without problems. Konqueror and KMail work fine for me.
Compositing still works with the open source radeon drivers (I have an ATI
Radeon 4850).

The only problem I found so far is that KAddressbook does not show any
addresses. As far as I know, it uses akonadi now, do I have to do something to
get it working?

Greetings,
Michael




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003070948.08759.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003070948.08759.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hello,

On sekmadienis 07 Kovas 2010 10:48:08 Michael Thaler wrote:
> I just upgraded from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.1 from http://qt-kde.debian.net/
> I upgraded from a running 4.3.4 session. The window manager got killed
> while upgrading (but the shell window was still there and useable), other
> then that everything was o.k.

Well, experiences really vary:

1) konsole gets killed, kwin stays;
2) kwin gets killed, konsole stays;
3) anything else for other people?

It seems that upgrade just likes to kill something. Anyway, you have to
relogin immediately after upgrade since some packaging changes make 4.3.4 and
4.4.1 runtime incompatible at their core.

> KDE 4.4.1 started without problems. Konqueror and KMail work fine for me.
> Compositing still works with the open source radeon drivers (I have an ATI
> Radeon 4850).
>
> The only problem I found so far is that KAddressbook does not show any
> addresses. As far as I know, it uses akonadi now, do I have to do something
> to get it working?

Please post output of:

$ dpkg -l '*akonadi*'


--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Michael Thaler
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hi,

> Please post output of:
>
> $ dpkg -l '*akonadi*'

dpkg -l '*akonadi*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
un akonadi-kde <none> (no description available)
ii akonadi-server 1.3.1-2 Akonadi PIM storage service
ii libakonadi-con 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data serve
ii libakonadi-kab 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data serve
ii libakonadi-kca 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data serve
ii libakonadi-kde 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data serve
ii libakonadi-kmi 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data serve
ii libakonadipriv 1.3.1-2 libraries for the Akonadi PIM storage servic

Greetings,
Michael


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003071002.07889.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003071002.07889.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de
 
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Dimitrios Eftaxiopoulos
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

>The only problem I found so far is that KAddressbook does not show any
>addresses. As far as I know, it uses akonadi now, do I have to do something
>to get it working?

I had to import the addresses file again in Kaddressbook after the upgrade,
since it was lost. An upgrade of the akonadi packages from sid and the
installation of the virtuoso-minimal package from sid, may have also helped me
to access the addresses again.

Dimitris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003071121.35351.eftaxi12@otenet.gr">http://lists.debian.org/201003071121.35351.eftaxi12@otenet.gr
 
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Michael Thaler
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hi,

that might be useful, too:

$ ps aux|grep akonadi
michi 2698 0.0 0.1 145008 5168 ? Sl 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_control
michi 2700 0.0 0.2 395508 8996 ? Sl 09:36 0:00 akonadiserver
michi 2702 0.0 0.8 290248 33844 ? Sl 09:36 0:00
/usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/michi/.local/share/akonadi//mysql.conf
--datadir=/home/michi/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --
socket=/home/michi/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket
michi 2739 0.0 0.5 308036 21480 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_ical_resource --identifier akonadi_ical_resource_0
michi 2740 0.0 0.5 308036 21480 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_ical_resource --identifier akonadi_ical_resource_1
michi 2741 0.0 0.5 286684 20288 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_vcard_resource --identifier akonadi_vcard_resource_0
michi 2742 0.0 0.5 286684 20284 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_vcard_resource --identifier akonadi_vcard_resource_1
michi 2743 0.0 0.5 286684 20288 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_vcard_resource --identifier akonadi_vcard_resource_2
michi 2744 0.0 0.5 294816 21164 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder --identifier
akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder
michi 2745 0.0 0.5 270656 20360 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
michi 2761 0.0 0.4 279228 20240 ? S 09:36 0:00
/usr/bin/akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_0

Greetings,
Michael


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003071032.35011.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003071032.35011.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de
 
Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hello,

On sekmadienis 07 Kovas 2010 11:02:07 Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Please post output of:
> >
> > $ dpkg -l '*akonadi*'
>
> dpkg -l '*akonadi*'
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-p
> | end
> |
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> |
> ||/ Name Version Description
>
> +++-==============-==============-=========================================
> === un akonadi-kde <none> (no description available)
> ii akonadi-server 1.3.1-2 Akonadi PIM storage service
> ii libakonadi-con 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM data
> serve ii libakonadi-kab 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi PIM
> data serve ii libakonadi-kca 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the Akonadi
> PIM data serve ii libakonadi-kde 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using the
> Akonadi PIM data serve ii libakonadi-kmi 4:4.4.1-0rc1 library for using
> the Akonadi PIM data serve ii libakonadipriv 1.3.1-2 libraries for
> the Akonadi PIM storage servic

Looks fine.

So it could be related to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224732 so I
think it is a good idea to move discussion there.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Diederik de Haas
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

On 2010-03-07 Michael Thaler wrote:
> The only problem I found so far is that KAddressbook does not show any
> addresses. As far as I know, it uses akonadi now, do I have to do something
> to get it working?
I had the same problem only it didn't show any addresses, but a couple, no idea where that selection
came from.
The other thing that I had to fix was installing virtuoso-minimal after it complained that it
couldn't find virtuoso.
By doing a search on *.vcf with "Dolphin - Tools - Find File ..." and selecting "Show hidden files" I
found my contact data and could restore from there.

There were a couple of things I noticed:
- Contacts in KDE 4.4 get rather random names for their .vcf files and they're stored in
~/.local/share/contacts/ where each contact has it's own .vcf file
- Contacts in KDE 4.3 were (/seem to be) stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ in 1 file.
- The default contact list (in KDE 4.4) is named "std.vcf", but I couldn't find a std.vcf file on my
file system, but it looks to point to the ~/.local/share/contacts folder
- When you add another address book you do need to specify a file or a folder as the resource
location.

Based on that, I have a couple of questions:
- Is ~/.local/share/contacts the resource location of the default address book or is it's Akonadi's
cache or sth like that?
- Is the preferred location of address books changed from ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ to
~/.local/share/contacts with the upgrade from KDE 4.3 to 4.4?
- What (files) should I backup in order to get my PIM data back (after a fresh install for example)?

Regards,
Diederik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003071336.37008.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201003071336.37008.didi.debian@cknow.org
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Michael Thaler
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Hi,

> So it could be related to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224732 so I
> think it is a good idea to move discussion there.

Reimporting the std.vcf from .kde/share/apps/kabc solved the problem.

Greetings,
Michael


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003072156.08579.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003072156.08579.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default KDE 4.4.1

Am Sonntag 07 März 2010 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,
>
> On sekmadienis 07 Kovas 2010 10:48:08 Michael Thaler wrote:
> > I just upgraded from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.1 from
> > http://qt-kde.debian.net/ I upgraded from a running 4.3.4 session.
> > The window manager got killed while upgrading (but the shell window
> > was still there and useable), other then that everything was o.k.
>
> Well, experiences really vary:
>
> 1) konsole gets killed, kwin stays;
> 2) kwin gets killed, konsole stays;
> 3) anything else for other people?
>
> It seems that upgrade just likes to kill something. Anyway, you have
> to relogin immediately after upgrade since some packaging changes
> make 4.3.4 and 4.4.1 runtime incompatible at their core.

I was dropped to tty1 on upgrading from 4.3.4 to 4.4.1, but also on
upgrading to rc4 packages yesterday. I just reran apt-get upgrade,
restarted kdm and was able to login again.

ThinkPad T42 with OSS radeon X.org driver.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org