Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default KMail: doesn't delete (all) messages from POP server, retrieves them multiple times

KMail 1.13.1, from KDE 4.4.1, for me doesn't properly delete mails from
the POP server after retrieving them. It also does not recognize that it
has retrieved these messages already and as a consequence, I get
multiple copies of each and every message. Apparently, this doesn't
happen without a bound, but I've seen cases where there were 5 copies of
the same message.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag 05 März 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> KMail 1.13.1, from KDE 4.4.1, for me doesn't properly delete mails from
> the POP server after retrieving them. It also does not recognize that
> it has retrieved these messages already and as a consequence, I get
> multiple copies of each and every message. Apparently, this doesn't
> happen without a bound, but I've seen cases where there were 5 copies
> of the same message.

Did not yet see such a behavior. I am also still using POP3 accounts. With
Dovecot on my virtual Debian Lenny server.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Friday 05 March 2010, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> KMail 1.13.1, from KDE 4.4.1, for me doesn't properly delete mails
> from the POP server after retrieving them. It also does not
> recognize that it has retrieved these messages already and as a
> consequence, I get multiple copies of each and every message.
> Apparently, this doesn't happen without a bound, but I've seen cases
> where there were 5 copies of the same message.

Apparently, the problem disappears when I enable "pipelining" for mail
download. This is a cure, hopefully, but doesn't explain anything.

Michael

Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Friday 05 March 2010, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2010, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > KMail 1.13.1, from KDE 4.4.1, for me doesn't properly delete mails
> > from the POP server after retrieving them. It also does not
> > recognize that it has retrieved these messages already and as a
> > consequence, I get multiple copies of each and every message.
> > Apparently, this doesn't happen without a bound, but I've seen
> > cases where there were 5 copies of the same message.
>
> Apparently, the problem disappears when I enable "pipelining" for
> mail download. This is a cure, hopefully, but doesn't explain
> anything.

Well, apparently, there are not-quite-reproducible thingsways to make it
disappear for a while, unfortunately, it reappears. AFAICT, KMail does
send DELE messages to the server, as I checked with TLS switched off
temporarily, so it is surely tempting to blame the server. However, I
did not change anything about the server, but certainly changed KMail
and its KDE infrastructure.

Michael