-   -   Defining and choosing profiles (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/334-defining-choosing-profiles.html)

Martin Ammermüller 11-18-2007 08:06 PM

Defining and choosing profiles

Am Samstag 17 November 2007 11:42:31 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> I'm looking for a way to define profiles for network configuration,
> proxies, network filesystems to mount, timezone, and other settings
> that can differ based on where I am and how I'm connected to the net.
> With KDE integration, of course.
>
> Apparently, SuSE has such a tool, called scpm, see
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/119875
>
> Is there something similar for Debian?

Have you tried knetworkmanager? Works fine, here.

HTH
Martin

Michael Schuerig 11-18-2007 11:15 PM

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Martin Ammermüller wrote:
> Am Samstag 17 November 2007 11:42:31 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > I'm looking for a way to define profiles for network configuration,
> > proxies, network filesystems to mount, timezone, and other settings
> > that can differ based on where I am and how I'm connected to the
> > net. With KDE integration, of course.
> >
> > Apparently, SuSE has such a tool, called scpm, see
> >
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/119875
> >
> > Is there something similar for Debian?
>
> Have you tried knetworkmanager? Works fine, here.

I've just had a look at it. It didn't "just work" and I didn't try to
make it, but from what I've seen I gather that knetworkmanager is
useful for configuring connection profiles for multiple network
environments. That's fine for what it is, but right now actually the
least of my problems. I'm more interested in things such as proxy
servers and network filesystems, possibly firewall settings.

To make thinks more concrete. When I'm working on a project at home and
at a client site, I easily get network access by means of DHCP in both
places. But at home I need no proxies, rely on the firewall in my
router and there are no network filesystems I need to mount. When at
the client site, I have to configure proxy settings for KDE, Firefox,
Subversion (Subclipse), and I want my own local firewall.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Hendrik Sattler 11-19-2007 05:20 AM

Am Montag 19 November 2007 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> To make thinks more concrete. When I'm working on a project at home and
> at a client site, I easily get network access by means of DHCP in both
> places. But at home I need no proxies, rely on the firewall in my
> router and there are no network filesystems I need to mount. When at
> the client site, I have to configure proxy settings for KDE, Firefox,
> Subversion (Subclipse), and I want my own local firewall.

Combine it with e.g. switchconf or netenv.

HS

Michael Schuerig 11-19-2007 06:11 AM

On Monday 19 November 2007, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag 19 November 2007 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > To make thinks more concrete. When I'm working on a project at home
> > and at a client site, I easily get network access by means of DHCP
> > in both places. But at home I need no proxies, rely on the firewall
> > in my router and there are no network filesystems I need to mount.
> > When at the client site, I have to configure proxy settings for
> > KDE, Firefox, Subversion (Subclipse), and I want my own local
> > firewall.
>
> Combine it with e.g. switchconf or netenv.

I'll have a look, thanks.

Michael

Martin Steigerwald 12-02-2007 07:56 AM

Defining and choosing profiles

Hello,

Am Montag 19 November 2007 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
> Am Montag 19 November 2007 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > To make thinks more concrete. When I'm working on a project at home
> > and at a client site, I easily get network access by means of DHCP in
> > both places. But at home I need no proxies, rely on the firewall in
> > my router and there are no network filesystems I need to mount. When
> > at the client site, I have to configure proxy settings for KDE,
> > Firefox, Subversion (Subclipse), and I want my own local firewall.
>
> Combine it with e.g. switchconf or netenv.

Or guessnet for automatic switching based on definable tests[1].

I use it to send ARP requests to check for a specified combination of IP
and MAC address in the net. If it finds it, it configures the network
according to my entry in /etc/network/interfaces. So my laptop uses a
static IP at home but does DHCP in the company as well every location
that it doesn't detect specifically.

It integrates nicely with /etc/network/interfaces. I combine it with
ifplugd and wpasupplicant.

I didn't yet use it to automatically set a web proxy, but there is an
example including a web proxy set script that might work[2].

Besides that Martin Krafft is designing and developing a new network
configuration solution for Debian. But it still seems in the early
concept phase.

Networkmanager would work too, if you could integrate some scripts with
it. Last time I looked it was still to unlexible for me and I thought it
would only connect me to the net when the GUI is loaded. My guessnet /
ifupdown solution works all the time, but doesn't give me much
oppurtunatley for manual selections. So if you want to select one of
several WLANs on a occasional basis if might not be suitable for you. If
its always the same WLAN you want to connect at a certain place, then you
could use wpasupplicant as a mapper and guessnet for IP config.

Since you can start scripts via /e/n/i you could do basically anything,
but it needs a bit of time to setup correctly. It should be possible to
integrate switchconf as well.

I wrote an article about guessnet but its also in german only.

[1] http://guessnet.alioth.debian.org/
see also man interfaces

[2] In german only:
http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/22-DPotW-guessnet-ifupdown.html