Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default command line saving session

On Saturday 23 January 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2010-01-22, roberto wrote:
> > hello
> > i am searching for a command line way to save the kde session,
> > since i'd like to place it into a script along with the command to
> > suspend the pc
> >
> > i've found this command:
> > dcop ksmserver ksmserver saveCurrentSession
> >
> > do you think it is right ?
>
> Yes, that looks right for KDE3, the KDE4 equivalent should be
> qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer
> org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSession

Thanks for this! I've long been looking for a way to periodically save
the session state as I've been annoyed by crashes destroying my setup.

So, below is a script I'm now having cron run every 5 minutes.

Michael

#! /bin/sh

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs
# for getXuser

for x in /tmp/.X11-unix/* ; do
displaynum=`echo $x | sed s,/tmp/.X11-unix/X,,`
getXuser
if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ] ; then
export DISPLAY=":$displaynum"
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver
/KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSession >
/dev/null
fi
done

exit 0

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM
roberto

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> wrote:
> On Friday, 2010-01-22, roberto wrote:
>> hello
>> i am searching for a command line way to save the kde session, since
>> i'd like to place it into a script along with the command to suspend
>> the pc
>>
>> i've found this command:
>> dcop ksmserver ksmserver saveCurrentSession
>>
>> do you think it is right ?
>
> Yes, that looks right for KDE3, the KDE4 equivalent should be
> qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer
> org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSession

great, i hold kde 3.5.10
so it should work for me

--
roberto

Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Arthur Marsh

i am searching for a command line way to save the kde session, since
i'd like to place it into a script along with the command to suspend
the pc

i've found this command:
dcop ksmserver ksmserver saveCurrentSession

do you think it is right ?

Yes, that looks right for KDE3, the KDE4 equivalent should be
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer
org.kde.KSMServerInterface.saveCurrentSession

Cheers,
Kevin

Is there a line break or word split somewhere there? I'm not running
kde4 yet but would like to have the command in a workable state for
future reference.

Arthur.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Michael Schuerig