-   -   KDE 4.4 betas (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/299460-kde-4-4-betas.html)

Beojan Stanislaus 12-22-2009 08:12 PM

KDE 4.4 betas

Previously on this list I think it was stated KDE SC 4.4 beta 1 wouldn't
be packaged due to lack of time. Is there any indication on when the
first pre-release version will be available in experimental.

Beojan Stanislaus 12-23-2009 07:15 PM

KDE 4.4 betas

This message was posted to a Debian mailing list concerning when
4.4 beta would be available in Debian experimental. I moved from
the *buntu set after experiencing serious performance differences
between identically configured kubuntu and debian systems, and
would not move back. Also, I prefer debian's practice of generally
shipping unpatched packages to Ubuntu's patching software
against the wishes of upstream.

Beojan Stanislaus 12-24-2009 06:22 AM

KDE 4.4 betas

If you want to criticise Debian's policies, do it publically to the list,
not privately to a user. For all previous releases, the .0 release has
been in unstable on KDE release day. Anyway, 4.4 beta is not
available in the karmic repos, only in Lucid repos, and the
developers explicitly warn that no one should currently use Lucid
unless willing to recover from anything up to complete system
breakage.

Modestas Vainius 12-24-2009 07:20 AM

KDE 4.4 betas

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 24 Gruodis 2009 09:22:57 Beojan Stanislaus wrote:
> On Thursday 24 December 2009 01:43:22 you wrote:
> > Good luck!!!
> >
> > I won't be surprised if 4.3.4 would still be waiting in unstable when
>
> 4.4.0
>
> > or 1 will be released.
> > 4.3.3 -- stillbirth
> > 4.3.2 -- going through the dying process at testing
> > 4.3.1 -- had to go down the drain to make room for 4.3.2
> >
> > What a waste of time and effort.

FWIW, historically, Debian has never been releasing betas of KDE (with the
notable exception of 4.1 (and partially 4.2) series because 4.0 was unusable
back then). What's more, nowadays KDE does a crapload of minor SC releases
most of which is just a fancy version number bump in the later revisions but
it still costs days of maintainer work to upload the loads of packages that SC
is.

On the other hand, Ubuntu keeps riding the hype because that's what their
popularity depends on and because they have enough manpower to do that. Kudos
for them. However, don't have false illusions, QA is lost in such a fast
tracked process. You can't have it both ways so in the end it depends on what
you actually care about.

To sum up, you're most welcome to use or waste your time and effort on
whatever you want.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>