Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Guan de dio

Default Linux-kbuild

Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle venerdì 13 marzo 2009, Guan de dio ha scritto:

> Hello there,

> It's not a KDE question, it is more general, I expect that

> someone can to help me.

> After a several fights with Debien, I have now installed KDE4.2.1

> using a Debian sid branch

> The screen it is not in optimal resolution, so I want to install

> de nvida driver because I currently use the default card video driver.

> Looking for the Linux Header that I need to recompile the kernel,

> I saw that the unique headers in the repositories are for 2.6.28

> version, and muy Kernel is 2.6.26

> I went to install the new Linux-image when the synaptic gave me

> an error dependence in the package linux-kbuild-2.6.28

> I'm searching it but It is not in sid repositories.

> Do I need to use the experimental branch for update the kernel ?

> Thanks in advance,

> GUAN

It would be a nice chance for you to learn how to recompile your kernel in the Debian way isn't difficult. You will have always the most up to date kernel and headers.

Cheers

Valerio

Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM
"Herbert S."

not really - only you want to do it the Debian-way.

You can also download
a) from any Debian-repository the fitting kernel-headers 2.6.26 (i.e from the
stable (aka known as LENNY) branch).
b) or Download the complete kernel-source from kernel-org and compile a
completley NEW kernel. This way is much more intensive, and I think you
wont't do so, because you have an exisiting / running kernel with which you
are happy

After doing a) you can run the NVIDIA-installation program (Download it from
the NVIDIA Homepage (the ONE that I use is:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run )

Herbert

Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle sabato 14 marzo 2009, Herbert S. ha scritto:

> After doing a) you can run the NVIDIA-installation program (Download it

> from the NVIDIA Homepage (the ONE that I use is:

> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run )

> Herbert

I don't agree on this point. Why do you mess your system when packages are available? If you want nvidia drivers 180.29, you only need to install nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx from the experimental repository (the latest drivers are always there).

If you have a kernel which makes you happy, keep it along with a kernel compiled by yourself. You will have an higher degree of freedom doing that. i.e. if you buy a new piece of hardware you could need to compile a recent kernel that has the right module for it, without waiting for a new kernel package from Debian.It's up to you.

Bye

Valerio

Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
"Herbert S."

Am Saturday 14 March 2009 23:24:41 schrieb Valerio Passini:
> Alle sabato 14 marzo 2009, Herbert S. ha scritto:
> > After doing a) you can run the NVIDIA-installation program (Download it
> > from the NVIDIA Homepage (the ONE that I use is:
> > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run )
> >
> > Herbert
>
> I don't agree on this point. Why do you mess your system when packages are
> available? If you want nvidia drivers 180.29, you only need to install
> nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx from the experimental repository (the
> latest drivers are always there).
> If you have a kernel which makes you happy, keep it along with a kernel
> compiled by yourself. You will have an higher degree of freedom doing that.
> i.e. if you buy a new piece of hardware you could need to compile a recent
> kernel that has the right module for it, without waiting for a new kernel
> package from Debian.It's up to you.
> Bye
>
> Valerio

Thank you Valerio,
of course you're right ! It did not correctly add using
NVIDIA-installer-programm to my note - it should have been pointed out to b)
self-compiled kernel.
As you mentioned in case of a) Debian has own packages in it's repository.

By the way:
My kernel 2.6.18.4 (running for a while of ~ 1,5 years) resulted of a previous
Debian Sarge installtion with a lower kernel-version, so I had to compile a
new kernel (to fit my hardware AND of course to learn more about
kernel-compiling and adjustment )and therefore the Debian-way at that time
was no option.

Greetings,
herbert

Old 08-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Massimiliano

HiI'm Massimiliano Sist, I'm using debian testing on my sony vaio. Battery life is too short because a bug in kernel 2.6.32 2.6.33 2.6.34. This bug is fixed in 2.6.35 so I'm trying to install it from experimental, but I need linux-kbuild-2.6.35 that isn't in experimental repository...When��linux-kbuild-2.6.35 will be in experimental?
Thanks !!!Massimiliano

Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 07:45 +0200, Massimiliano wrote:
> Hi
> I'm Massimiliano Sist, I'm using debian testing on my sony vaio.
> Battery life is too short because a bug in kernel 2.6.32 2.6.33
> 2.6.34. This bug is fixed in 2.6.35 so I'm trying to install it from
> experimental, but I need linux-kbuild-2.6.35 that isn't in
> experimental repository...When linux-kbuild-2.6.35 will be in
> experimental?

Maybe later today. But see:
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage#Thestory oflinux-kbuild-2.6

Also, please report this bug properly so we can try to fix it in 2.6.32
for 'squeeze'.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings