Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Chris

Default Reseting Konqueror Home-Directory Settings

Hi,

I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the directory
as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view anymore. Reseting
the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to help.

Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?

Thanks,

C. Hurschler

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Friday 20 February 2009 17:55:09 Chris wrote:
> I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the
> directory as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view anymore.
> Reseting the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to help.
>
> Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?

View -> view mode -> <choose from list>

HTH
Lisi

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Alejandro Exojo

El Viernes, 20 de Febrero de 2009, Chris escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the
> directory as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view anymore.
> Reseting the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to help.
>
> Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?

Try looking for a file named "$HOME/.directory", and editing/removing it.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

El Friday 20 February 2009 15:55:09 Chris escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the
> directory as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view anymore.
> Reseting the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to help.
>
> Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?

Open Konqueror, change the view to the one you want and then save your
prefrences in Settings -> Save view profile "whatever_you_want"

Regards, Lisandro.

--
Sea estricto cuando envíe y tolerante cuando reciba.
En otras palabras, solo envíe paquetes que cumplan rigurosamente con

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/

Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Chris

On Friday 20 February 2009, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2009 17:55:09 Chris wrote:
> > I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the
> > directory as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view
> > anymore. Reseting the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to
> > help.
> >
> > Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?
>
> View -> view mode -> <choose from list>
>
> HTH
> Lisi

Well, yes, obviously. But: it always return to "list-view", whatever I tried
afterwards, including like I said, totally resetting all the view profiles (I
found some instructions on how to do that).

Thanks,

C. Hurschler

Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Chris

On Friday 20 February 2009, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Viernes, 20 de Febrero de 2009, Chris escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Lenny system. When I use the Home Icon Konqueror opens the
> > directory as a list. I can't get it to open with with icon view
> > anymore. Reseting the view profiles also strangeley does not seem to
> > help.
> >
> > Does anyon know where this setting is hidden away?
>
> Try looking for a file named "$HOME/.directory", and editing/removing it.
>
> --
> Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
> http://barnacity.net/ | http://disperso.net

That worked! The file does not seem to be automatically created, do you know
where it could have come from?

Thanks,

C. Hurschler

Old 02-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Alejandro Exojo

El Domingo, 22 de Febrero de 2009, Chris escribió:
> On Friday 20 February 2009, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> > Try looking for a file named "$HOME/.directory", and editing/removing it.
> That worked! The file does not seem to be automatically created, do you
> know where it could have come from?

In my experience, this kind of files are created by Konqueror when you set the
view preferences to be saved per directory. Unfortunately, when I turned it
off it still kept reading the existing ones, although it didn't create new
ones.

Personally, I find this kind of feature a bad idea (or a bad implementation of
it) because of this: once you change the setting, it's kind of impossible to
completely get rid of it, unless you are a power user who understands a
little bit what's under the hood. I found that there is an option to remove
the properties of the folder (KDE 3), but still it's hard to understand that
what is happening is due to a property that was set in the folder.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Chris

On Sunday 22 February 2009, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Domingo, 22 de Febrero de 2009, Chris escribió:
> > On Friday 20 February 2009, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> > > Try looking for a file named "$HOME/.directory", and editing/removing
> > > it.
> >
> > That worked! The file does not seem to be automatically created, do you
> > know where it could have come from?
>
> In my experience, this kind of files are created by Konqueror when you set
> the view preferences to be saved per directory. Unfortunately, when I
> turned it off it still kept reading the existing ones, although it didn't
> create new ones.
>
> Personally, I find this kind of feature a bad idea (or a bad implementation
> of it) because of this: once you change the setting, it's kind of
> impossible to completely get rid of it, unless you are a power user who
> understands a little bit what's under the hood. I found that there is an
> option to remove the properties of the folder (KDE 3), but still it's hard
> to understand that what is happening is due to a property that was set in
> the folder.

Well I'd have to aggree, my "Save view chages per Folder" was not active.
Maye I had turned it off at some point. I guess turning it on would have
solved my problem. Having .directory seems nice if you want the folder to
appear the same in different systems that mount or access the directory. I
noticed this behavior but didn't know how it worked before.