Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Bill Maher

Default Newbie but nevertheless sincere- replacing Xandros GUI on Asus 900a with KDE

Ana-

*

Thank you for getting back to me.* I have an Asus eee 900a which is a really really nice little machine.* It was $200 at Best Buy (USA) with a variant of Xandros, and $240 with Windows XP.

*

The GUI off-the-shelf, however, is made for five-year-olds and/or third world countries.* The manufacturer has disabled the option to use the "advanced desktop", and what I've read is that an accessible advanced desktop can be created with KDE Kicker and ksmserver.** That's what I'm trying to do.

*

I did write "newbie" in the subject line- I just began studying command paths from Konsole yesterday evening.* So I've been trying to create a command path that points to the tars that I've downloaded.

*

I basically just want to be able to get into the repositories that contain KDE (panel) kicker and ksmserver.* I think I've tried the one you suggest, lenny, but I'm baffled by the i386 question and why that's happening.* I know that i386 is an older architecture, and there are things in there that I probably need- but when I create the links to those repositories I get that error message.

*

I will work on learning command-line better (so far I've not been able to do much from command-line) and I guess I'll try the stable lenny repository.*

*

Thanks. (Danke schoen?)

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:29:07 +0100
> From: ana@debian.org
> To: cautiouscowboy@msn.com
> CC: debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Newbie but nevertheless sincere- replacing Xandros GUI on Asus 900a with KDE
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 04:38:49PM -0700, Bill Maher wrote:
> >
> > Hello-
> >
> > I've been attempting to do the above, but I get error messages regarding libraries and 1386's.
> >
> > file:///export/repository/gnusolaris1/ kdelibs trunk gives me:
> >
> > file:///export/repository/gnusolaris1/dists/kdelibs/trunk/binary-i386/Packages.gz: File not found
> >
> > I also get:
> >
> > W: Couldn't stat source package list file: kdelibs/trunk Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/_export_repository_gnusolaris1_dists_kdelibs_trunk _binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> >
> > I guess I'm looking for the repository that these i386 packages are in.
> >
> > None of the "how to" articles regarding changing the "easy" desktop GUI work for me. Those are all written for the eee 701, and I have a 900a. The answer to this is not on the net.
> >
> > So if you could point me to these repositories, and any other repositories that are stable and might have neat things in them, I'd appreciate it.
> >

> First, KDE users mailint list is:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/
>
> Second, what does contain yout /etc/apt/sources.list and what kde (and debian
> suite: stable, testing, unstable) do you want to install?
>
> Debian repositories are something like:
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
>
> Please, continue in the user's mailing list.
>
> Ana

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.