Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Xavier Brochard

Default l10n

Christoph Burgmer wrote:

> Since installing KDE 4 with 4.1 I have a joyfull mix of English and German
> strings in all sort of KDE applications having selected German as default
> language. An example is "Primary language [Deutsch]. Add fallback
> language". When installing KDE4 I partially copied old settings from ./kde
> to ./kde4 on an as needed basis.
>
> After waiting 6 months and installing KDE 4.2 nothing has changed now.
> Selecting a specific application language in the help menu and restarting
> doesn't change anything either, even when selecting only US English.
>
> Now things start to bug me, screenshots look bad, the whole system looks
> incomplete and I would be happy for getting a 100% localised KDE in
> whatever language I choose. Help appreciated.

I would try first to create a new user account to see what happen. If
everything works well, the problem is in you user account setup.

xavier

Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Ana Guerrero

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:06:52PM +0800, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Since installing KDE 4 with 4.1 I have a joyfull mix of English and German
> strings in all sort of KDE applications having selected German as default
> language. An example is "Primary language [Deutsch]. Add fallback language".
> When installing KDE4 I partially copied old settings from ./kde to ./kde4 on
> an as needed basis.
>
> After waiting 6 months and installing KDE 4.2 nothing has changed now.
> Selecting a specific application language in the help menu and restarting
> doesn't change anything either, even when selecting only US English.
>
> Now things start to bug me, screenshots look bad, the whole system looks
> incomplete and I would be happy for getting a 100% localised KDE in whatever
> language I choose. Help appreciated.

Note that the kde-i18n-XX packages are named now kde-l10n-XX-. Check you are
using kde-l10n-de 4.2.0 and not kde-i18n-de 3.5.10

Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieben Sie:

> Note that the kde-i18n-XX packages are named now kde-l10n-XX-. Check you

> are using kde-l10n-de 4.2.0 and not kde-i18n-de 3.5.10

That's not it:

$ aptitude search kde-i18n-de

p kde-i18n-de - German (de) internationalized (i18n) files

Christoph

Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Xavier Brochard:
> I would try first to create a new user account to see what happen. If
> everything works well, the problem is in you user account setup.

I created a new user where the same problem exists. Then removed ~/.kde and ~/.kde4, purged and reinstalled kde-l10n-de and again (after some akonadi errors and knotify crashes) the same problem prevails. By default no language is set in the settings module under "personal -> country/region & language" (translated from German).
I'll attach the locales from this users settings.

In my account I've set both German and US-English (no more language files installed). Formerly installed (only KDE 3.5 though) were Korean and Chinese.
While menus and buttons seem to be in English, items in the config list from the left side of configuration menues are in German, same as K-Menu entries, the ones under "Leave" are in English though. Right clicking on the taskbar gives me "Remove this Fensterleiste".

Christoph
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:de:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Enrico Agliotti

2009/2/2 Christoph Burgmer <christoph.burgmer@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieben Sie:
>> Note that the kde-i18n-XX packages are named now kde-l10n-XX-. Check you
>> are using kde-l10n-de 4.2.0 and not kde-i18n-de 3.5.10
>
> That's not it:
>
> $ aptitude search kde-i18n-de
> p kde-i18n-de - German (de) internationalized (i18n) files

$ apt-cache show kde-i18n-de
[...]
Version: 4:3.5.5-1
[...]

$ apt-cache show kde-l10n-de
[...]
Version: 4:4.2.0-1
[...]

;-)

--
Enrico Agliotti
cell. +39-328-0517312

Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Ana Guerrero

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:26:55PM +0800, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieben Sie:
> > Note that the kde-i18n-XX packages are named now kde-l10n-XX-. Check you
> > are using kde-l10n-de 4.2.0 and not kde-i18n-de 3.5.10
>
> That's not it:
>
> $ aptitude search kde-i18n-de
> p kde-i18n-de - German (de) internationalized (i18n)
> files

You are still using kde 3 translations, fetch from experimental kde-l10n-de in
the same way you fetched KDE 4.2.
FYI, German is one of the most up to date translations.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieben Sie:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:26:55PM +0800, Christoph Burgmer wrote:

> > Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieben Sie:

> > > Note that the kde-i18n-XX packages are named now kde-l10n-XX-. Check

> > > you are using kde-l10n-de 4.2.0 and not kde-i18n-de 3.5.10

> > That's not it:

> > $ aptitude search kde-i18n-de

> > p kde-i18n-de - German (de) internationalized

> > (i18n) files

> You are still using kde 3 translations, fetch from experimental kde-l10n-de

> in the same way you fetched KDE 4.2.

> FYI, German is one of the most up to date translations.

Sorry, it's late, do I miss something?

$ aptitude show kde-l10n-de | grep State

State: installed

$ aptitude show kde-i18n-de | grep State

State: not installed

Christoph, waiting for the day unstable will be *the* debian archive again

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Enrico Agliotti

2009/2/2 Christoph Burgmer <christoph.burgmer@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> $ aptitude show kde-l10n-de | grep State
> State: installed
> $ aptitude show kde-i18n-de | grep State
> State: not installed

I think you have to do:

aptitude -t experimental install kde-l10n-de

Old 02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Cédric Boutillier

Hi !

Le lundi 02 février 2009 16:03:50 Enrico Agliotti, vous avez écrit :
> I think you have to do:
> aptitude -t experimental install kde-l10n-de

Christoph seems to have the needed package installed for German
translations. His first aptitude command showed that kde-i18n-de was
NOT installed (because of the p in the first column of the output). And
his second command showed that kde-l10n-de was installed.

Christophe, is there another language you know and could try to
install and see if the problem still occurs with this one?

Best,

Cédric

Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Cédric Boutillier:
> Christoph seems to have the needed package installed for German
> translations. His first aptitude command showed that kde-i18n-de was
> NOT installed (because of the p in the first column of the output). And
> his second command showed that kde-l10n-de was installed.

Sorry, I tried to make my steps reproducible, not harder to understand.

> Christophe, is there another language you know and could try to
> install and see if the problem still occurs with this one?

Good idea, I just installed kde-l10n-zhcn: 1. Chinese 2. German 3. en_US. It seems to exactly replace the former German strings with simplified Chinese. I can try to change my locale, adding zh, maybe this influences KDE4's language choice.

Christoph