Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Enrico Agliotti

Default l10n

2009/2/2 Christoph Burgmer <christoph.burgmer@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Cédric Boutillier:
>> Christoph seems to have the needed package installed for German
>> translations. His first aptitude command showed that kde-i18n-de was
>> NOT installed (because of the p in the first column of the output). And
>> his second command showed that kde-l10n-de was installed.
>
> Sorry, I tried to make my steps reproducible, not harder to understand.

Ok, but you didn't answered to one question:
what version of kde-l10n-de you have? 3.5.x or 4.2.0?

--
Enrico Agliotti
cell. +39-328-0517312

Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Tuesday, 3. February 2009 schrieb Enrico Agliotti:
> 2009/2/2 Christoph Burgmer <christoph.burgmer@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> > Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Cédric Boutillier:
> >> Christoph seems to have the needed package installed for German
> >> translations. His first aptitude command showed that kde-i18n-de was
> >> NOT installed (because of the p in the first column of the output). And
> >> his second command showed that kde-l10n-de was installed.
> >
> > Sorry, I tried to make my steps reproducible, not harder to understand.
>
> Ok, but you didn't answered to one question:
> what version of kde-l10n-de you have? 3.5.x or 4.2.0?

$ aptitude show kde-l10n-de
Package: kde-l10n-de
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:4.2.0-1
[...]

Furthermore changing my locale information fails as I don't know where I added the current settings the last time. Locale settings is a topic I try to avoid if possible.

Christoph

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Xavier Brochard

Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Xavier Brochard:
>> I would try first to create a new user account to see what happen. If
>> everything works well, the problem is in you user account setup.
>
> I created a new user where the same problem exists. Then removed ~/.kde
> and ~/.kde4,

on a new user account you shouldn't have a .kde directory
(or I misunderstood what you said)

> purged and reinstalled kde-l10n-de and again (after some
> akonadi errors and knotify crashes) the same problem prevails. By default
> no language is set in the settings module under "personal ->
> country/region & language" (translated from German).

same here, default language setting from kde (generic english) but it works
in french without problem

> I'll attach the locales from this users settings.

it looks like a kde problem, but just in case (sorry if it's stupid):
What is the default locale on the system ?
(check the uncommented ones in /etc/locale.gen)
And did you try to install another desktop ?

xavier

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Tuesday, 3. February 2009 schrieb Xavier Brochard:

> Christoph Burgmer wrote:

> > Am Monday, 2. February 2009 schrieb Xavier Brochard:

> >> I would try first to create a new user account to see what happen. If

> >> everything works well, the problem is in you user account setup.

> > I created a new user where the same problem exists. Then removed ~/.kde

> > and ~/.kde4,

> on a new user account you shouldn't have a .kde directory

> (or I misunderstood what you said)

I had kpowerdaemon (or something similarly called) still installed, which might have triggered the creation after login.

> > purged and reinstalled kde-l10n-de and again (after some

> > akonadi errors and knotify crashes) the same problem prevails. By default

> > no language is set in the settings module under "personal ->

> > country/region & language" (translated from German).

> same here, default language setting from kde (generic english) but it works

> in french without problem

> > I'll attach the locales from this users settings.

> it looks like a kde problem, but just in case (sorry if it's stupid):

> What is the default locale on the system ?

> (check the uncommented ones in /etc/locale.gen)

> And did you try to install another desktop ?

$ cat /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#"

de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

de_DE ISO-8859-1

de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8

ko_KR.UTF-8 UTF-8

zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8

zh_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8

zh_SG.UTF-8 UTF-8

zh_TW.UTF-8 UTF-8

reportbug reports the following settings:

Locale: LANG=de_DE@euro, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

I didn't try installing another desktop like gnome.

But, now I just tried resetting my LC_MESSAGES (being default C)

$ LC_MESSAGES=de_DE kwrite

and this gives me a perfect German environment for kwrite.

So I guess that would solve my problem.

Now, am I being unreasonable asking for a consistent useage of languages, or is it a bug?

Christoph

Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Raúl Sánchez Siles

El Martes 03 Febrero 2009, Christoph Burgmer escribió:
> Am Tuesday, 3. February 2009 schrieb Xavier Brochard:
> > Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> > >
> > > I created a new user where the same problem exists. Then removed ~/.kde
> > > and ~/.kde4,
> >
> > on a new user account you shouldn't have a .kde directory
> > (or I misunderstood what you said)
>
> I had kpowerdaemon (or something similarly called) still installed, which
> might have triggered the creation after login.
>
> > > purged and reinstalled kde-l10n-de and again (after some
> > > akonadi errors and knotify crashes) the same problem prevails. By
> > > default no language is set in the settings module under "personal ->
> > > country/region & language" (translated from German).
> >
> > same here, default language setting from kde (generic english) but it
> > works in french without problem
> >
> > > I'll attach the locales from this users settings.
> >
> > it looks like a kde problem, but just in case (sorry if it's stupid):
> > What is the default locale on the system ?
> > (check the uncommented ones in /etc/locale.gen)
> > And did you try to install another desktop ?
>
> $ cat /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#"
> de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
> de_DE ISO-8859-1
> de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
> ko_KR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
> zh_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8
> zh_SG.UTF-8 UTF-8
> zh_TW.UTF-8 UTF-8
>
> reportbug reports the following settings:
> Locale: LANG=de_DE@euro, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
>
> I didn't try installing another desktop like gnome.
>
> But, now I just tried resetting my LC_MESSAGES (being default C)
> $ LC_MESSAGES=de_DE kwrite
> and this gives me a perfect German environment for kwrite.
> So I guess that would solve my problem.
> Now, am I being unreasonable asking for a consistent useage of languages,
> or is it a bug?
>
> Christoph

I'd advice using de_DE.UTF-8 as default.

Raúl Sánchez Siles
----->Proud Debian user<-----
Linux registered user #416098

Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 AM
cobaco

On Monday 2009-02-02, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Since installing KDE 4 with 4.1 I have a joyfull mix of English and
> German strings in all sort of KDE applications having selected German as
> default language. An example is "Primary language [Deutsch]. Add fallback
> language". When installing KDE4 I partially copied old settings from
> ./kde to ./kde4 on an as needed basis.
>
> After waiting 6 months and installing KDE 4.2 nothing has changed now.
> Selecting a specific application language in the help menu and restarting
> doesn't change anything either, even when selecting only US English.
>
> Now things start to bug me, screenshots look bad, the whole system looks
> incomplete and I would be happy for getting a 100% localised KDE in
> whatever language I choose. Help appreciated.

AFAIK KDE apps still ignore the normal LC_* and LANG settings using the
setting in the kdeglobals config file or KDE_LANG variable instead

can you try running 'KDE_LANG=de <appname>' for one of the apps that is
showing the problem?
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009 schrieb cobaco:

[...]

> AFAIK KDE apps still ignore the normal LC_* and LANG settings using the

> setting in the kdeglobals config file or KDE_LANG variable instead

> can you try running 'KDE_LANG=de <appname>' for one of the apps that is

> showing the problem?

As I wrote before:

$ LC_MESSAGES=de_DE kwrite

opens a full German session of kwrite, and my system since then is full German now, as I moved away from having LC_MESSAGES set to 'C'.

Still not happy with it and I believe it is a bug that KDE cannot decide which language to use.

Actually Inkscape (being a Gnome product) since then is German too, so I guess that respecting LC_MESSAGES for menus and stuff is the intended behaviour.

I might ask on kde-devel or look for a bug report to bring this to KDE's attention.

Christoph