Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 AM
Carlos Álvarez

Default Weather plasmoid

Hi.

Is the weather plasmoid -that was packaged for the 4.2 RC release in
kde42.debian.net- packaged for 4.2 final? I can't find it in the
experimental repo.
I installed kweather, but I can't figure out for what does that
program really serve since I can't find a way to launch it: no menu or
Alt+F2 entry, "command not found" in terminal... Any Kweather user
could give me a hint? I haven't been able to get any reasonably recent
(usage in KDE 4), and clear, info on the net.

Another one: is there any way to get rid of unuseful plasmoids which
appear as alone packages, like Lancelot, without uninstalling almost
all of them? When I try, aptitude says kadeplasma addons depends on
Lancelot.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Alejandro Exojo

El Sábado, 31 de Enero de 2009, Carlos Álvarez escribió:
> Another one: is there any way to get rid of unuseful plasmoids which
> appear as alone packages, like Lancelot, without uninstalling almost
> all of them? When I try, aptitude says kadeplasma addons depends on
> Lancelot.

kdeplasma-addons is a metapackage. That is, you can install it to pull some
packages without having to select them individually, but the package is empty
itself, so it's not a problem removing it.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
David Baron

On Saturday 31 January 2009 07:26:52 Carlos Álvarez wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is the weather plasmoid -that was packaged for the 4.2 RC release in
> kde42.debian.net- packaged for 4.2 final? I can't find it in the
> experimental repo.
> I installed kweather, but I can't figure out for what does that
> program really serve since I can't find a way to launch it: no menu or
> Alt+F2 entry, "command not found" in terminal... Any Kweather user
> could give me a hint? I haven't been able to get any reasonably recent
> (usage in KDE 4), and clear, info on the net.
>
> Another one: is there any way to get rid of unuseful plasmoids which
> appear as alone packages, like Lancelot, without uninstalling almost
> all of them? When I try, aptitude says kadeplasma addons depends on
> Lancelot.
>
> Thanks

Good question. There is a "KWeather", there is a weather dataengine, but no
way or running them. Kweatherservice should simply be running (probably not
the dataengine), and kweatherreport is a command line using the METAR code
(have to find which one to use--flightgear uses this as well to give "real"
weather for your flying fun). Weather icons are now in the stock icons
folders.

There are several weather plasmoids around that take large screen areas with
loads of pretty pictures and information for 5-day forecasts and such. I miss
the old weather applet that gave a picture and optionally a few short bits of
data and you clicked it to get anything more. Too many plasmoids are like
those superkaramba screen-realestate-wasters.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

2009 m. Sausis 31 d., šeštadienis, David Baron rašė:
> There are several weather plasmoids around that take large screen areas
> with loads of pretty pictures and information for 5-day forecasts and such.
> I miss the old weather applet that gave a picture and optionally a few
> short bits of data and you clicked it to get anything more. Too many
> plasmoids are like those superkaramba screen-realestate-wasters.
Add "Weather forecast" to panel and it will become pretty minimal (picture of
current weather conditions).

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

2009 m. Sausis 31 d., šeštadienis, Carlos Álvarez rašė:
> Is the weather plasmoid -that was packaged for the 4.2 RC release in
> kde42.debian.net- packaged for 4.2 final? I can't find it in the
> experimental repo.
It is in NEW and having in mind current NEW processing rate, it will probably
spend there quite a while.

> Another one: is there any way to get rid of unuseful plasmoids which
> appear as alone packages, like Lancelot, without uninstalling almost
> all of them? When I try, aptitude says kadeplasma addons depends on
> Lancelot.
Remove plasma-applet-lancelot. This will surely remove kdeplasma-addons
metapackage. However, if it wants to remove more packages (because it thinks
that they are unused), mark them as manually installed.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Carlos Álvarez

> kdeplasma-addons is a metapackage.

Silly me! :s
I hadn't paid attention to Aptitude which clearly says it's a metapackage...

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Carlos Álvarez

> > Is the weather plasmoid -that was packaged for the 4.2 RC release in
> > kde42.debian.net- packaged for 4.2 final? I can't find it in the
> > experimental repo.
> It is in NEW and having in mind current NEW processing rate, it will > > probably
> spend there quite a while.

Ah. ok, hehe. Anyway thanks for the hint about "Weather forecast", I
guess it's the plasmoid "Simple weather forecast", but it has to be
installed from sources, no?

> > Another one: is there any way to get rid of unuseful plasmoids which
> > appear as alone packages, like Lancelot, without uninstalling almost
> > all of them? When I try, aptitude says kadeplasma addons depends on
> > Lancelot.
> Remove plasma-applet-lancelot. This will surely remove kdeplasma-addons
> metapackage. However, if it wants to remove more packages (because it thinks
> that they are unused), mark them as manually installed.

Yes, I didn't notice it was a metapackage. Thank you.