Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
maurizio

Default KDE4.2 in experimental and kpackage

more details, after mine previous short message
I just installed KDE 4.2 from experimental
(in a sidux amd64 fully dist-upgraded from unstable)
When kpackage is launched, it takes a while (much longer than in kde 3.5.10)
seeming that it's loading the list of the packages (CPU load is about 95%),
after some time it gives up
but nothing is listed in the packages list on the left panel.
the search function gives no results, also with packages installed for sure
this is the output if I run it in konsole
: -----------
kpackage(3597) pkgInterface::ifExe: Program not found: "rpm" kpackage(3597)
KpTreeList::readTreePos: KpTreeList::readTreePos() kpackage(3597)
managementWidget::readPSeparator: managementWidget::readPSeparator()
kpackage(3597) KPKG::setupMenu: kpinterface[DEBt]->makeMenu kpackage(3597)
DEB::makeMenu: DEB::makeMenu kpackage(3597) kpPty::breakUpCmd: kpPty::run
CMD=" "smart query --installed" " pty = kpKProcIO(0x175c470) kpackage(3597)
kpPty::run: return Result= 0 1437 kpackage(3597) kpPty::breakUpCmd: kpPty::run
CMD=" "/bin/sh -c 'smart info --urls >/tmp/kde-mauri/smart.list'" " pty =
kpKProcIO(0x175c470) kpackage(3597) kpPty::run: return Result= 0 0
kpackage(3597) managementWidget::checkMarked: checkMarked() 0 0 kpackage(3597)
KpTreeList::search: KpTreeList::search2 kpackage(3597) KpTreeList::search:
KpTreeList::search2 kpackage(3597) kpPty::breakUpCmd: kpPty::run CMD=" "smart
query --installed" " pty = kpKProcIO(0x175c470) kpackage(3597) kpPty::run:
return Result= 0 1437 kpackage(3597) kpPty::breakUpCmd: kpPty::run CMD="
"/bin/sh -c 'smart info --urls >/tmp/kde-mauri/smart.list'" " pty =
kpKProcIO(0x175c470) kpackage(3597) kpPty::run: return Result= 0 0
kpackage(3597) managementWidget::checkMarked: checkMarked() 0 0 kpackage(3597)
managementWidget::writePSeparator: managementWidget::writePSeparator()
-----
posted also at KDE Bug Tracking System

Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Nick Shaforostoff

I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.

What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else) for you?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
> and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.
>
> What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else) for
> you?

kpackage is the application I was behaved to when I wanted to get a list of packages
and a description of them. Synaptic is good and very similar but it's just for GNOME and it
prevents the use of apt in console. Many times before I checked a package that I was interested to
just using kpackage and then installing it just with apt-get at the same moment. Indeed I use apt
more often than any other else package manager, but with a little help from kpackage when it was
needed.
Another important reason why I liked kpackage was the ability to browse the installed packages and
even the single files. It was very handy to check for README's, configuration samples and so on. It
was a matter of clicking on the file and having it displayed in konqueror, in kwrite or inside ark.
That is why I consider it more useful than synaptic. Another feature that I liked is the ability of
kpackage of displaying at a quick glance any missing file in a package. Last but not least I have
translated its documentation and I'm sorry to see kpackage disappearing.
BTW if it's supposed to remove kpackage, I agree that I should use something different like adept (I
tried it a long time ago and I didn't feel a good impression from it, but now things have changed
for good). Anyhow adept is still missing the features I had mentioned above. I hope to have answered
to your question. Bye

Valerio

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Nick Shaforostoff

On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:04:21 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> > I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
> > and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.
> >
> > What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else) for
> > you?
>
> kpackage is the application I was behaved to when I wanted to get a list of packages
> and a description of them.
apt-cache search <regexp>
I have it aliased to be 'as <regexp>' under root.
alias as='apt-cache search'

plus apt-cache show

> Another important reason why I liked kpackage was the ability to browse the installed packages and
> even the single files.
list packages: dpkg -l <globexp> | grep II
list files: dpkg -L <package>
also see apt-file.

> It was very handy to check for README's, configuration samples and so on. It
> was a matter of clicking on the file and having it displayed in konqueror, in kwrite or inside ark.
> That is why I consider it more useful than synaptic. Another feature that I liked is the ability of
> kpackage of displaying at a quick glance any missing file in a package.
there is a command line expression somewhere for that. googlable.

> Last but not least I have
> translated its documentation and I'm sorry to see kpackage disappearing.
Well, I'm translator myself. A lot of docs bevome obsote with KDE4.

> BTW if it's supposed to remove kpackage, I agree that I should use something different like adept (I
> tried it a long time ago and I didn't feel a good impression from it, but now things have changed
> for good). Anyhow adept is still missing the features I had mentioned above. I hope to have answered
> to your question.
Yes. thank you for the desired features list.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:04:21 Valerio Passini wrote:
> > Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> > > I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
> > > and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.
> > >
> > > What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else)
> > > for you?
> >
> > kpackage is the application I was behaved to when I wanted to get a list
> > of packages and a description of them.
>
> apt-cache search <regexp>
> I have it aliased to be 'as <regexp>' under root.
> alias as='apt-cache search'
>
> plus apt-cache show
>
> > Another important reason why I liked kpackage was the ability to browse
> > the installed packages and even the single files.
>
> list packages: dpkg -l <globexp> | grep II
> list files: dpkg -L <package>
> also see apt-file.
>
> > It was very handy to check for README's, configuration samples and so on.
> > It was a matter of clicking on the file and having it displayed in
> > konqueror, in kwrite or inside ark. That is why I consider it more useful
> > than synaptic. Another feature that I liked is the ability of kpackage of
> > displaying at a quick glance any missing file in a package.
>
> there is a command line expression somewhere for that. googlable.
>
> > Last but not least I have
> > translated its documentation and I'm sorry to see kpackage
> > disappearing.
>
> Well, I'm translator myself. A lot of docs bevome obsote with KDE4.
>
> > BTW if it's supposed to remove kpackage, I agree that I should use
> > something different like adept (I tried it a long time ago and I didn't
> > feel a good impression from it, but now things have changed for good).
> > Anyhow adept is still missing the features I had mentioned above. I hope
> > to have answered to your question.
>
> Yes. thank you for the desired features list.

I agree almost on everything except the fact I would like to use GUI because it's simpler. I had to
learn apt because was a basic tool in Debian, but I dream the day when I could forget about it.
Anyhow, adept too is no more maintained, you can read why here:
http://web.mornfall.net/adept.html
Are you involved in some way with a development of a package manager for Debian?