Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Bruno Miguel

Default No Paste with Dolphin

Hello.

I'm using KDE 4.1 backports in Lenny and, since I updated to KDE 4.1.3, I'm
not able to paste anything with Dolphin. This happens while in KDE 4.1.3 or
Gnome 2.22. I can (i think) copy and cut, but no paste.

For now I can't provide any debug because I don't know which dbg package
install. If anyone can hint me on that, I'll appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Bruno Miguel:

> I'm using KDE 4.1 backports in Lenny and, since I updated to KDE 4.1.3, I'm

> not able to paste anything with Dolphin. This happens while in KDE 4.1.3 or

> Gnome 2.22. I can (i think) copy and cut, but no paste.

Same over here but with experimental 4.1.4, whereas it worked before. There are bug reports on bugs.kde.org, maybe you have the patience to hang on to them. It seems that this behaviour happens for many people on many different systems since the early releases of KDE4. For some it is even an indeterministic occurence.

> For now I can't provide any debug because I don't know which dbg package

> install. If anyone can hint me on that, I'll appreciate it.

Hmm, only helpful if you have a crash I guess?

With Konsole doing wrong window sizes I even have a second regression. Additionally kmail started crashing just now in IMAP, so maybe it's the 3rd one. Eventually we just wait for KDE4.2.

Christoph

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Bruno Miguel

> Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Bruno Miguel:
> > I'm using KDE 4.1 backports in Lenny and, since I updated to KDE 4.1.3,
> > I'm not able to paste anything with Dolphin. This happens while in KDE
> > 4.1.3 or Gnome 2.22. I can (i think) copy and cut, but no paste.
>
> Same over here but with experimental 4.1.4, whereas it worked before. There
> are bug reports on bugs.kde.org, maybe you have the patience to hang on to
> them. It seems that this behaviour happens for many people on many
> different systems since the early releases of KDE4. For some it is even an
> indeterministic occurence.

I took a look at bugs.kde.org and I saw one mentioning the use of Konqueror
for copy/cut and paste files and folders, but I had the same problem I
experienced in Dolphin.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Bruno Miguel:

> > Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Bruno Miguel:

> > > I'm using KDE 4.1 backports in Lenny and, since I updated to KDE 4.1.3,

> > > I'm not able to paste anything with Dolphin. This happens while in KDE

> > > 4.1.3 or Gnome 2.22. I can (i think) copy and cut, but no paste.

> > Same over here but with experimental 4.1.4, whereas it worked before.

> > There are bug reports on bugs.kde.org, maybe you have the patience to

> > hang on to them. It seems that this behaviour happens for many people on

> > many different systems since the early releases of KDE4. For some it is

> > even an indeterministic occurence.

> I took a look at bugs.kde.org and I saw one mentioning the use of Konqueror

> for copy/cut and paste files and folders, but I had the same problem I

> experienced in Dolphin.

I believe Konqueror and Dolphin use the same backends, so that our bug would apply to that. If you feel the Dolphin developer should notice that, maybe you can open a bug report there.

Christoph

Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Christoph Burgmer:

> Am Thursday, 15. January 2009 schrieb Bruno Miguel:

> > I'm using KDE 4.1 backports in Lenny and, since I updated to KDE 4.1.3,

> > I'm not able to paste anything with Dolphin. This happens while in KDE

> > 4.1.3 or Gnome 2.22. I can (i think) copy and cut, but no paste.

> Same over here but with experimental 4.1.4, whereas it worked before. There

> are bug reports on bugs.kde.org, maybe you have the patience to hang on to

> them. It seems that this behaviour happens for many people on many

> different systems since the early releases of KDE4. For some it is even an

> indeterministic occurence.

My local copy&paste problem seems to be related to a only half-done upgrade from 4.1.3 which I didn't realise. The rest of the 4.1.4 packages appeared later including dolphin and konqueror. Once installed it made pasting work again.

Christoph

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Sune Vuorela

On 2009-01-16, Christoph Burgmer <chrislb@gmx.de> wrote:
> My local copy&paste problem seems to be related to a only half-done upgrade
> from 4.1.3 which I didn't realise. The rest of the 4.1.4 packages appeared
> later including dolphin and konqueror. Once installed it made pasting work
> again.

It is a known bug - and actually the reason why the kdebase update was a
few days later than the rest. It was waiting for a patch for this.

/Sune

Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Friday, 16. January 2009 schrieb Sune Vuorela:

> On 2009-01-16, Christoph Burgmer <chrislb@gmx.de> wrote:

> > My local copy&paste problem seems to be related to a only half-done

> > upgrade from 4.1.3 which I didn't realise. The rest of the 4.1.4 packages

> > appeared later including dolphin and konqueror. Once installed it made

> > pasting work again.

> It is a known bug - and actually the reason why the kdebase update was a

> few days later than the rest. It was waiting for a patch for this.

Many thanks then for this thoroughly update. C&P is probably the most important feature of file organisation in Dolphin when even the feature of drag&drop from one tab to another is missing (coming in 4.2).

Christoph

Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Bruno Miguel

> Am Friday, 16. January 2009 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> > On 2009-01-16, Christoph Burgmer <chrislb@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > My local copy&paste problem seems to be related to a only half-done
> > > upgrade from 4.1.3 which I didn't realise. The rest of the 4.1.4
> > > packages appeared later including dolphin and konqueror. Once installed
> > > it made pasting work again.
> >
> > It is a known bug - and actually the reason why the kdebase update was a
> > few days later than the rest. It was waiting for a patch for this.
>
> Many thanks then for this thoroughly update. C&P is probably the most
> important feature of file organisation in Dolphin when even the feature of
> drag&drop from one tab to another is missing (coming in 4.2).
>
> Christoph

Great. Today I received the updates, installed them and everything workd.
Thanks!