Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Felix Homann

Default KDE4: Umlaute in bookmarks

Hi,

I've just migrated one account of a KDE3 machine to a KDE4 (4.1.3)
machine by copying the whole home directory. No ~/.kde4 directory was
present.

Now umlauts in bookmarks are not displayed correctly in Konqueror 4.1.3.
They are displayed as question marks or question marks in black diamonds.

I can edit the bookmark to show the right character, but the next
instance of konqueror will still have it wrong.

The KDE language is German, kde-l10n-de is installed.

Only one account is affected, there's no problem with my primary account.

Has anyone else suffered from a similar problem? Any ideas how to solve it?

Kind regards,

Felix

Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Felix Homann <fexpop@onlinehome.de> wrote
about 'KDE4: Umlaute in bookmarks':
>Now umlauts in bookmarks are not displayed correctly in Konqueror 4.1.3.
>They are displayed as question marks or question marks in black diamonds.
>
>The KDE language is German, kde-l10n-de is installed.
>
>Only one account is affected, there's no problem with my primary account.

What are their locale settings, specifically? I believe KDE 4 only handles
strings consistently if they are in UTF-8. IIRC, it was related to such a
limitation in Qt4.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Felix Homann

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
What are their locale settings, specifically? I believe KDE 4 only handles
strings consistently if they are in UTF-8.

Ah, thanks! Locale had been de_DE. After setting it to de_DE.UTF-8
everything is working fine.

-- Felix