Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Andreas Bourges

Default kde 4.2 beta showstoppers?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Xavier Vello

Hello

> I'm willing to give the 4.2 beta packages a try - as long as my fundamental
> application is still working (kmail).
> What are the experiences? Does kmail run without problems and what is the
> state of akonadi? Is it save to use?

KMail is rock solid here (with pop accounts), and with a lovely new folder
view. It still doesn't use akonadi for email storage.
Only apps using akonadi are kabc and korganiser, data is migrated
automaticaly on first start (keeping the old format as a backup).

As for me kdepim4.2 is ok.

Regards
--
Xavier Vello

Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Kevin Krammer

On Monday 22 December 2008, Xavier Vello wrote:
> Hello
>
> > I'm willing to give the 4.2 beta packages a try - as long as my
> > fundamental application is still working (kmail).
> > What are the experiences? Does kmail run without problems and what is the
> > state of akonadi? Is it save to use?
>
> KMail is rock solid here (with pop accounts), and with a lovely new folder
> view. It still doesn't use akonadi for email storage.
> Only apps using akonadi are kabc and korganiser, data is migrated
> automaticaly on first start (keeping the old format as a backup).

There have been some issues with the Akonadi compatibility plugins, e.g. a
freeze like situation when adding an email address as a new contact into the
addressbook (hopefully fixed that one yesterday).

Obviously we appreciate any form of testing in that area since so much depends
on the actual setup used and users usage patterns.
However, if one rather wants to beta test other areas of KDE, resource
automigration can be disabled [1]

And just to avoid misunderstandings: the change is how the data is accessed by
applications, not how it is stored on disk.
A vcard file will still remain a vcard file even if used by a native Akonadi
storage agent (called Akoandi VCard Resource)

Cheers,
Kevin

[1]
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#How_do_I_disable_automatic_migration_from_ KDE.27s_traditional_framework.3F

Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Stefano Avallone

Hi,

after upgrading to the latest version of kde4.2 from kde42.debian.net, kmail
crashed every time I tried to open a signed message. This issue was easily
solved by upgrading libgpgme11 to version 1.1.8-1. Thus, it would be good to
update the dependency of future versions of kdepimlibs5 from libgpgme11 (>=
1.1.6) to libgpgme11 (>=1.1.8).

Anyway, thanks for packaging kde 4.2 betas.

Stefano

Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2009-01-04, Stefano Avallone <stavallo@unina.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to the latest version of kde4.2 from kde42.debian.net, kmail
> crashed every time I tried to open a signed message. This issue was easily
> solved by upgrading libgpgme11 to version 1.1.8-1. Thus, it would be good to
> update the dependency of future versions of kdepimlibs5 from libgpgme11 (>=
> 1.1.6) to libgpgme11 (>=1.1.8).

Thanks for reporting this.
Bug filed against libgpgme11

/Sune