-   -   Java Policy: /usr/share/java vs. /u/s/maven-repo (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/690510-java-policy-usr-share-java-vs-u-s-maven-repo.html)

Thomas Koch 08-04-2012 07:59 AM

Java Policy: /usr/share/java vs. /u/s/maven-repo

Hi,

do you think we should change the java policy and relax the requirement to
install java libraries to /usr/share/java in favour of /usr/share/maven-repo?

At least I'd like to see a very strong recommends to install to /u/s/m-r. I
feel like having filled a dozen bugs against java libraries that did not honour
the debian maven repo but on which I depended.

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Sylvestre Ledru 08-04-2012 08:10 AM

Le 04/08/2012 09:59, Thomas Koch a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> do you think we should change the java policy and relax the requirement to
> install java libraries to /usr/share/java in favour of /usr/share/maven-repo?
>
> At least I'd like to see a very strong recommends to install to /u/s/m-r. I
> feel like having filled a dozen bugs against java libraries that did not honour
> the debian maven repo but on which I depended.
I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
might change in the future.

I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.

Sylvestre

Damien Raude-Morvan 08-04-2012 02:37 PM

Le 04/08/2012 10:10, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

Le 04/08/2012 09:59, Thomas Koch a écrit :

Hi,

do you think we should change the java policy and relax the requirement to
install java libraries to /usr/share/java in favour of /usr/share/maven-repo?

At least I'd like to see a very strong recommends to install to /u/s/m-r. I
feel like having filled a dozen bugs against java libraries that did not honour
the debian maven repo but on which I depended.

I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
might change in the future.

I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.

I also support this: /usr/share/maven-repo is only an addition to
/usr/share/java and not a replacement.

IIRC, Debian Java Policy actually require versionned JAR (ie. real file)
to be installed into /usr/share/java and we should keep this.

Cheers,

Vincent Fourmond 08-04-2012 08:48 PM

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@drazzib.com> wrote:
>> Le 04/08/2012 09:59, Thomas Koch a écrit :
>>> do you think we should change the java policy and relax the requirement
>>> install java libraries to /usr/share/java in favour of
>>> /usr/share/maven-repo?
>>>
>>> At least I'd like to see a very strong recommends to install to /u/s/m-r.
>>> feel like having filled a dozen bugs against java libraries that did not
>>> honour
>>> the debian maven repo but on which I depended.
>>
>> I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
>> system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
>> might change in the future.
>>
>> I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.
>

> I also support this: /usr/share/maven-repo is only an addition to
> /usr/share/java and not a replacement.
>
> IIRC, Debian Java Policy actually require versionned JAR (ie. real file) to
> be installed into /usr/share/java and we should keep this.

That said, nothing stops requesting or requiring packages to install
versioned or versionless symlinks in /usr/share/maven-repo.

BTW, why /usr/share/maven-repo isn't simply a symlink to
/usr/share/java ? Would it break something ? (I'm maven-naive).

Cheers,

Vincent

tony mancill 08-05-2012 01:22 AM

On 08/04/2012 01:48 PM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
>>> system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
>>> might change in the future.
>>>
>>> I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.
>>

>> I also support this: /usr/share/maven-repo is only an addition to
>> /usr/share/java and not a replacement.
>>
>> IIRC, Debian Java Policy actually require versionned JAR (ie. real file) to
>> be installed into /usr/share/java and we should keep this.
>
> That said, nothing stops requesting or requiring packages to install
> versioned or versionless symlinks in /usr/share/maven-repo.
>
> BTW, why /usr/share/maven-repo isn't simply a symlink to
> /usr/share/java ? Would it break something ? (I'm maven-naive).

/usr/share/maven-repo has a more complicated layout than /usj, so a
simply symlink won't do. I like to think of the maven-repo as a
namespace/catalog, or view, on top of the actual library of JARs found
in /usj.

+1 for keeping the actual JAR files in /u/s/java. I think this makes it
easier to find them (for non-mavenized toolsets).

But also +1 for Thomas' proposed policy update regarding JARs available
in public maven repositories and making those artifacts available in
/usr/share/maven-repo.

tony