Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Matthias Klose

Default Help: symlink problems building openjdk-6

On 03.08.2012 16:33, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Le 03/08/2012 14:36, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Thorsten,
>
>> after doko recommended it to me *way* back then, but only now I’ve
>> got all of its Build-Depends installable, I’m currently trying to
>> build srcpenjdk-6 (with all references to gcj-4.7 changed back
>> to gcj-4.6, and, for consistency, the same with gcc/g++ – but this
>> doesn’t affect the problem) on m68k. Can anyone please help?
>>
>> I’m running into this issue some hours into the process:
>>
>> Linking vm...
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file libjvm.so: Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> This "Too many levels of symbolic links" is not root cause of failure. In fact,
> openjdk $(MAKE) is called twice in case of failure [1] (I don't remember exact
> justification for this...).

this was for spurious build failures on the buildds, which I didn't want to
debug. maybe remove the second invocation if you care about this one.

> In your log file I can see a previous issue during first linker invocation (near
> line 8970) :

this is is a bug in the icedtea build system (both for 6 and 7), which doesn't
stop on the first error. to reproduce, change one of the icedtea patches so that
it fails to apply and look at the build log.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Michael Schmitz

Thorsten,

Is there another thread supposed to join in and break the deadlock? Lock
initialized wrong?

I guess yes at the first one, no at the second one, I didn’t see much
m68k-specific code there, and things appear to work on the other arches
(plus, Qt4 has similar issues). As I said earlier, I have almost zero
skills in parallel programming. My current guess is that when a thread
waits on another thread which wait()s on another program, things lock
up.

Not sure the other thread waits on another program - it may just be late
in starting up (tried to check the timeout?).
If that's not it - maybe things are happening in the wrong order on
m68k. You might be able to find out what happens in which order by
logging messages from all threads involved on a fast architecture, and
m68k.

I'm not an expert in parallel programming by any stretch - though I have
debugged code using SYSV IPC semaphore locking both local and across
networks. Log messages may change timing but if it really is something
like program startup timing this is not going to matter.

(hoping this will reach you via one of the lists, as you appear to refuse mail
from me otherwise)

Not from you specifically, but Google Mail has finally made it onto
the blacklist indeed. (Lots of spam and unresponsive abuse@)

Since gmail is my primary outgoing service, I did tend to notice that a
lot. I'll try via my uni's mailhost (though they get themselves on
blacklists a lot as well, thanks to clever spear-phishing and lotsa
windoze boxes).

Cheers,

Michael