-   -   Packaging a Java program for Debian? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/686792-packaging-java-program-debian.html)

Rogério Brito 07-24-2012 02:28 AM

Packaging a Java program for Debian?

Hi there.

I am a Debian Maintainer and I would like to have a specific program
in Debian, but it is written in Java and I have near zero experience
with the language. It seems to use some embedded libraries that may
already be packaged in Debian.

Would anybody be willing to lend a hand with the program? For the
record, the program is called ABC/HR and it is used to test if a
person can differentiate between an original audio (say, a wav
extracted from a CD) and an MP3 version of such file.

The code is at:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32128

If anybody would be willing to give some directions, then I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: I would appreciate it I could be kept in CC'ies, as I am not
subscribed to the list.
--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog : Projects : https://github.com/rbrito/

Thomas Koch 07-24-2012 09:38 AM

Packaging a Java program for Debian?

Rogério Brito:
> Hi there.
>
> I am a Debian Maintainer and I would like to have a specific program
> in Debian, but it is written in Java and I have near zero experience
> with the language. It seems to use some embedded libraries that may
> already be packaged in Debian.
>
> Would anybody be willing to lend a hand with the program? For the
> record, the program is called ABC/HR and it is used to test if a
> person can differentiate between an original audio (say, a wav
> extracted from a CD) and an MP3 version of such file.
>
> The code is at:
>
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32128
>
> If anybody would be willing to give some directions, then I would
> appreciate.
>

> Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.
>
> P.S.: I would appreciate it I could be kept in CC'ies, as I am not
> subscribed to the list.

Hi Rogério,

the forum entry is from 2005 and just links to two zip files with the binaries
or sources. Isn't there any more recent version? Is the project still active.
Is there a version control system and bugtracker used by upstream?
What is the license of the program?

I'm afraid that you can't motivate me to work on such old software with an
upstream that doesn't seem to apply the most basic rules of free software
project management.

But that's just me. If you really want this software you might start importing
it in a Git repository and push it to github so that one can get a first
impression of the source code. Please also make us of pristine-tar in that
case!

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro