Bug#675495: OpenJDK-6 should not be released with Wheezy
On 2012-06-07 20:25, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 20:12:07 +0200, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
>> - AFAIK, there is still 50+ FTBFS  :/
> Could somebody verify and file those in the debian bts as a first step?
Status update on this. Thanks to Lucas, we got the FTBFS reproduced.
I have setup a titanpad to coordinate our work in this area . For
already filed bugs, there is also .
As far as I can tell, we have removed about 24 "possible failures" from
the original list  (striked-out in ); this includes some false
positives because gcj-native-helper was uninstallable during Lucas's
test build (my failed to consider that case).
Beyond the FTBFS (which tends to be trivial to fix) there are also a
number of packages explicitly (build) depending on OpenJDK-6. A few of
these have been fixed today as well, but I have given them less
attention. In some cases, the dependency line just needs be updated
(possibly requiring a rebuild with javahelper/0.42). Though I guess
there will be cases where the package breaks/FTBFS if it isn't OpenJDK-6.
All in all; I suspect it is "mostly doable" but I do not think "we"
(i.e. James Page and I) can keep up the pace on our own. For people
wanting to help out; please grab Lintian from git and use its -E flag
for testing the resulting binaries. In some cases the build does not
properly bound the Java versions causing the Java class files to need
Java7. Any of the following tags are "REALLY BAD"(tm):
* javalib-but-no-public-jars (requires -I)
- Happens with maven and a missing "--java-lib" (e.g. #676233)
- Unrelated to Java7, but an RC bug
* incompatible-java-bytecode-format (requires -E)
- Missing -source/-target version.
- Shouldn't happen ever (corrupt class files).
- Can happen if the build does not fail on javadoc errors (seen with
Attached is a dd-list of packages from Lucas's rebuild that have not
been fixed (some of them have bugs already though).
Common failures include:
* "Encoding issue"
- Passing -source 1.5 or -encoding $enc usually fixes it
* API change (new method required in Java7)
- Common one "getParentLogger()".
just add the method that throws SQLFeatureNotSupportedException
* Ambigious class/interface name
- If one of them are in "java." (or javax.) and the other one isn't,
we usually want the "other one".