Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Andreas Tille

Default use of json.org in biojava3-ws

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:18:59AM +0200, olivier.sallou@codeless.fr wrote:
> Would be too bad.... I expect that upstream will take into account my
> request to use a free one.
> In the meanwhile, I could deliver biojava without the library
> biojava3-ws (web service) which is the only one impacted by json lib.

Sounds very reasonable

Andreas.

BTW, I spended another thought on this license and that it is definitely
not applicable: Assume someone would plan a murder using software XY
which is forbidden to use for evil. This murder in spe would read the
license and think: Uhm, I'm not allowed to use this software legally so
I will sit down, delay my plan and will rewrite this software to finally
beeing able to do this murder... I'd call the attempt of this license
something of the kind "Trying to make the world a better place but
fail." The evil users will simply not care and others end up with
non-free software. I'd love to see a re-evaluation of this kind of
licenses.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Alexandre Rossi

Hi,

> I've already seen this library, but it is not a compatible *API.
> I gonna ask to biojava team if they would go to using such library
> instead of org.json one...

For what it's worth, from the work I've begun doing on GWT, which had
the same problem among others, I settled using json-simple and my
patch is available[2] (though the packaging work is not finished).

[1] http://code.google.com/p/json-simple/
[2] http://sousmonlit.dyndns.org/~niol/repositories.git/gwt-debian.git/debian/patches/use-json-simple

And there IS software in Debian using json.org libraries, I know of at
least one popular package that uses it.

Cheers,

Alex

Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM
"olivier.sallou@codeless.fr"

Le 5/30/12 9:33 AM, Alexandre Rossi a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> I've already seen this library, but it is not a compatible API.
>> I gonna ask to biojava team if they would go to using such library
>> instead of org.json one...
> For what it's worth, from the work I've begun doing on GWT, which had
> the same problem among others, I settled using json-simple and my
> patch is available[2] (though the packaging work is not finished).
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/json-simple/
> [2] http://sousmonlit.dyndns.org/~niol/repositories.git/gwt-debian.git/debian/patches/use-json-simple
I gonna use simple_json and patch accordingly, thanks for the hint

Olivier

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Andreas Tille

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:50:38AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:52:02AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > BTW, I spended another thought on this license and that it is definitely
> > not applicable: Assume someone would plan a murder using software XY
> > which is forbidden to use for evil. This murder in spe would read the
> > license and think: Uhm, I'm not allowed to use this software legally so
> > I will sit down, delay my plan and will rewrite this software to finally
> > beeing able to do this murder... I'd call the attempt of this license
> > something of the kind "Trying to make the world a better place but
> > fail." The evil users will simply not care and others end up with
> > non-free software. I'd love to see a re-evaluation of this kind of
> > licenses.
>
> This argument does not help because it intrinsically assumes
> that one can know beforehand what's good and what's evil.
>
> Assume I would license GNUmed in a way as to say:
>
> GPL except you are not allowed to use it to track the
> health of prison inmates.
>
> Now what ?

I do not really like to spend my time on broken licensing but your
example does not fit. You *explicitely* are discriminating fields of
endeavor (item 6. of DFSG) and this would make it clearly non-free which
is not the case for the good-evil-license.

My example was rather like: ... may not be used by people who are
evil enough to disregard licensing statements.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de