-   -   FYI: Java cli option parsing in Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/668121-fyi-java-cli-option-parsing-debian.html)

Thomas Koch 05-18-2012 07:29 AM

FYI: Java cli option parsing in Debian

Hi,

I want to introduce a cli option parsing library for maven-debian-helper.
There a tons of such java libraries out there:

http://jewelcli.lexicalscope.com/related.html

Just FYI, I had a look, which of these we have in Debian:

- libcommons-cli-java
- libjargs-java
- libjcommander-java
- libjoptsimple-java
- libgetopt-java
- libargs4j-java
- liboptions-java

Sh...ugar.. I thought looking into what is packaged would make the choice
easier...

rule outs:

- libcommons-cli-java - I don't like Apache Commons stuff
- libargs4j-java - Is modelled after javac's broken options, not GNU style
- liboptions-java - AFAIK only used by one project
- libjargs-java - very low activity upstream, last release 2005?
- libgetopt-java - ancient (2000) Java style, only translation updates since
then

good:

- libjcommander-java - active, documented, Git, Unit Tests
- libjoptsimple-java - active, Git, Unit Tests, Code Quality Tools,
POSIX/getopt style, documented

Jcommander's documentation looks more inviting. So I'll start with that one.

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

James Page 05-18-2012 11:04 AM

FYI: Java cli option parsing in Debian

Hi Thomas

On 18/05/12 08:29, Thomas Koch wrote:
[...]
> rule outs:
>
> - libcommons-cli-java - I don't like Apache Commons stuff

Not sure that is actually a valid reason for ruling it out :-)

> - libargs4j-java - Is modelled after javac's broken options, not
> GNU style - liboptions-java - AFAIK only used by one project -
> libjargs-java - very low activity upstream, last release 2005? -
> libgetopt-java - ancient (2000) Java style, only translation
> updates since then
>
> good:
>
> - libjcommander-java - active, documented, Git, Unit Tests -
> libjoptsimple-java - active, Git, Unit Tests, Code Quality Tools,
> POSIX/getopt style, documented
>
> Jcommander's documentation looks more inviting. So I'll start with
> that one.

I don't have any real preference as to which package you use as I have
not been involved with development of this tool.

However as a maintainer of at least ~40 packages that use it please
make sure whatever you are looking todo is backwards compatible - I
don't think we want to have to update every package that uses m-d-h to
use a new set of CLI options/new style.

Looking forward to seeing what improvements you are going to make.

Cheers

James

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer
Debian Maintainer

"Manfred Moser" 05-18-2012 05:07 PM

On Fri, May 18, 2012 12:29 am, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to introduce a cli option parsing library for maven-debian-helper.
> There a tons of such java libraries out there:
>
> http://jewelcli.lexicalscope.com/related.html
>
> Just FYI, I had a look, which of these we have in Debian:
>
> - libcommons-cli-java
> - libjargs-java
> - libjcommander-java
> - libjoptsimple-java
> - libgetopt-java
> - libargs4j-java
> - liboptions-java
>
> Sh...ugar.. I thought looking into what is packaged would make the choice
> easier...
>
> rule outs:
>
> - libcommons-cli-java - I don't like Apache Commons stuff
> - libargs4j-java - Is modelled after javac's broken options, not GNU style
> - liboptions-java - AFAIK only used by one project
> - libjargs-java - very low activity upstream, last release 2005?
> - libgetopt-java - ancient (2000) Java style, only translation updates
> since
> then
>
> good:
>
> - libjcommander-java - active, documented, Git, Unit Tests
> - libjoptsimple-java - active, Git, Unit Tests, Code Quality Tools,
> POSIX/getopt style, documented
>
> Jcommander's documentation looks more inviting. So I'll start with that
> one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Good choice. I played with it before and it is quite nice.

manfred

Ludovic Claude 05-18-2012 09:55 PM

FYI: Java cli option parsing in Debian

Hello,

I would like to keep the list of dependencies for maven-debian-helper as
small as possible. But on the principle of factoring out code, I'm fine.
There are more libraries available in Debian now than when I started
working on this package.

JCommander looks like a good candidate, but as it's a native Maven
project, you will have to re-package it using maven-repo-helper and
maven-ant-helper only to avoid circular dependencies.

Ludovic