Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Onkar Shinde

Default Transition from junit to junit4

Hi all,

We have considerable number of packages (close to 200) in archive
which build depend on junit package (3.x version). Considering that
this version has been unsupported for long time by upstream authors,
do you think it is time to transition packages to junit4 as and when
possible?
junit4 is backward compatible with junit. Also considering that in
most cases this is just a build dependency, as long as build does not
fail with junit4 we are safe with the transition. We need not make
this a compulsion. Just make the change if you are working on other
updates for any package.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Onkar Shinde

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have considerable number of packages (close to 200) in archive
> which build depend on junit package (3.x version). Considering that
> this version has been unsupported for long time by upstream authors,
> do you think it is time to transition packages to junit4 as and when
> possible?
> junit4 is backward compatible with junit. Also considering that in
> most cases this is just a build dependency, as long as build does not
> fail with junit4 we are safe with the transition. We need not make
> this a compulsion. Just make the change if you are working on other
> updates for any package.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.

I haven't received any response on this. Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-05-20 14:55, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have considerable number of packages (close to 200) in archive
>> which build depend on junit package (3.x version). Considering that
>> this version has been unsupported for long time by upstream authors,
>> do you think it is time to transition packages to junit4 as and when
>> possible?
>> junit4 is backward compatible with junit. Also considering that in
>> most cases this is just a build dependency, as long as build does not
>> fail with junit4 we are safe with the transition. We need not make
>> this a compulsion. Just make the change if you are working on other
>> updates for any package.
>>
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> I haven't received any response on this. Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Onkar

Hi,

Sorry for the silence on my part.

Personally I would be okay with migrating to junit4 if junit4 is
backwards compatible and it means we can get rid of junit3. It is
probably too late for Wheezy, but I see no problem in already starting now.

~Niels

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Arnaud Vandyck

Le 6/05/12 15:25, Onkar Shinde a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hi,

> We have considerable number of packages (close to 200) in archive
> which build depend on junit package (3.x version).

Is there a list published on some wiki to know who works on which package?

Are there priority packages?

I'd like to help but I made my last package a long time ago! I first
have to read some docs on the new practices. Any link to help? ;-)

Regards

--
Arnaud Vandyck
http://be.linkedin.com/in/avdyk