Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
James Page

Default Change in default behaviour in maven-debian-helper

Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello James,

The new behaviour of maven-debian-helper seems more correct. I think
that for most cases, you explicitely add --java-lib option to publish
your jar in /usr/share/java, but there are cases where a jar is
private, for example Ant or Eclipse plugins. In such cases, you can
create a link to a custom location (with the third argument to
mh_installjar) or install the jar in that custom location (using
- --dest-jar=<path>) and let mh_installjar create a link for the jar in
the Maven repository.

Please file bug reports for those packages which are broken by this
change, I tried to fix such packages some time ago but there are still
some problems in packages I don't know.

Ludovic

Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
James Page

Hi Ludovic

On 21/02/12 22:08, Ludovic Claude wrote:
> The new behaviour of maven-debian-helper seems more correct. I
> think that for most cases, you explicitely add --java-lib option to
> publish your jar in /usr/share/java, but there are cases where a
> jar is private, for example Ant or Eclipse plugins. In such cases,
> you can create a link to a custom location (with the third argument
> to mh_installjar) or install the jar in that custom location
> (using - --dest-jar=<path>) and let mh_installjar create a link for
> the jar in the Maven repository.
>
> Please file bug reports for those packages which are broken by
> this change, I tried to fix such packages some time ago but there
> are still some problems in packages I don't know.

It would be nice the m-d-h made more intelligent decisioning on
whether to install to /usr/share/java or not.

For example, if the binary package name that m-d-h is targetting is
named libXXX-java, it would make sense to automatically install to
/usr/share/java. If the package is not a libXXX-java package then it
a) does not want to install to usj or b) has to do it explicitly with
- --java-lib.

Lintian checks that libXXX-java packages install jar files to
/usr/share/java - I don't think mdh should be breaking that rule!

I'd be happy to work up a patch to implement this functionality (feel
it might be a better spend of time rather than continually finding
packages which don't use --java-lib).

Thoughts?

Cheers

James

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer

Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Daniel Thomas

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 13:32 +0100, James Page wrote:
> Hi Ludovic
>
> On 21/02/12 22:08, Ludovic Claude wrote:
> > The new behaviour of maven-debian-helper seems more correct. I
> > think that for most cases, you explicitely add --java-lib option to
> > publish your jar in /usr/share/java, but there are cases where a
> > jar is private, for example Ant or Eclipse plugins. In such cases,
> > you can create a link to a custom location (with the third argument
> > to mh_installjar) or install the jar in that custom location
> > (using - --dest-jar=<path>) and let mh_installjar create a link for
> > the jar in the Maven repository.
> >
> > Please file bug reports for those packages which are broken by
> > this change, I tried to fix such packages some time ago but there
> > are still some problems in packages I don't know.
>
> It would be nice the m-d-h made more intelligent decisioning on
> whether to install to /usr/share/java or not.
>
> For example, if the binary package name that m-d-h is targetting is
> named libXXX-java, it would make sense to automatically install to
> /usr/share/java. If the package is not a libXXX-java package then it
> a) does not want to install to usj or b) has to do it explicitly with
> --java-lib.
>
> Lintian checks that libXXX-java packages install jar files to
> /usr/share/java - I don't think mdh should be breaking that rule!
>
> I'd be happy to work up a patch to implement this functionality (feel
> it might be a better spend of time rather than continually finding
> packages which don't use --java-lib).
>
> Thoughts?

That would be great. I just got bitten by forgetting --java-lib on a
libXXX-java package because mdh was being so wonderfully helpful I
thought it would have done this for me.

Daniel

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Daniel,

If you use a recent version of maven-debian-helper and the mh_make
tool to package your project, then --java-lib option should have been
included in the generated .poms file.

Ludovic