Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Andreas Tille

Default Need help with packaging: what helper should be used (MavenBuilder / JavaHelper)?

Hi,

as a prerequisite for some other packages I need to package options.
I've got this lib via mail from the author (no website so far but I
asked for it.) I just uploaded it here:

http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/options/

Regarding packaging I tried two approaches:

1. MavenBuilder[1]
The Wiki page looks a bit outdated (last change 2010-04-10)
and "TODO: we should support dh in the future" refering to
a 2.5 year old DebConf talk.

After copying the suggested rules file including

JAVA_HOME := /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk

The build ended up very quickly saying:

You must specify a valid JAVA_HOME or JAVACMD!

Hmmm ... Any hint what might be wrong here?

I uploaded the debian/ dir I used to the URL above
in debian_using_mavenbuilder/ as well as the
according build log *.build_using_mavenbuilder.

2. JavaHelper[2]
This went a bit further in the build - however it seems
I did not managed to patch the build.xml properly because
jdom1.jar is obviosely not found. To make this work I
probably need a hint how to build the lib correctly using
Debian packaged jdom1.jar. I uploaded the debian/ dir
as debian_using_javahelper/ and the build log as
*.build_using_javahelper

I'd like to choose the build method which I get working first.
Any help is welcome.

Kind regards

Andreas.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Andreas,

javahelper is a generic collection of scripts for building Java sources,
packaging them into a jar and building a Debian package.

maven-debian-helper is designed for upstream projects which use Maven as
their build tool. The upstream project should contain at leat one
pom.xml file, and the upstream sources should compile using the command
'mvn install'.

So if your project doesn't build with Maven, the choice is easy: use
javahelper.

I have updated the links on the wiki, they seem to have disapeared. The
correct link for Maven-debian-helper is:

http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper

Can you post the url or the sources for the Options project, I cannot
help you further without this information.

Ludovic

Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Andreas Tille

Hi Ludovic,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:50:51PM +0100, Ludovic Claude wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> javahelper is a generic collection of scripts for building Java sources,
> packaging them into a jar and building a Debian package.
>
> maven-debian-helper is designed for upstream projects which use Maven as
> their build tool. The upstream project should contain at leat one
> pom.xml file, and the upstream sources should compile using the command
> 'mvn install'.
>
> So if your project doesn't build with Maven, the choice is easy: use
> javahelper.

Thanks. I've git help via private mail.

> I have updated the links on the wiki, they seem to have disapeared. The
> correct link for Maven-debian-helper is:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper
>
> Can you post the url or the sources for the Options project, I cannot
> help you further without this information.
>
> On 16/01/2012 13:37, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> > as a prerequisite for some other packages I need to package options.
> > I've got this lib via mail from the author (no website so far but I
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > asked for it.) I just uploaded it here:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/options/

So all I have is available here. But as I said the packaging problem is
solved and I'll commit the stuff to Debian Med Git repository using
pristine-tar to enable creating the source tarball. I did not got any
answer from the author about a downloadable version. However the
license is "Apache License Version 2.0" and this we can package it even
without a downloadable source tarball.

Thanks for your hints anyway

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Miguel Landaeta

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> * * After copying the suggested rules file including
>
> * * *JAVA_HOME := /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
>
> * * The build ended up very quickly saying:
>
> * * *You must specify a valid JAVA_HOME or JAVACMD!
>
> * * Hmmm ... *Any hint what might be wrong here?

You probably want to B-D on default-jdk and use
/usr/lib/jvm/default-java as JAVA_HOME.

If you must explicitly use OpenJDK, then your JAVA_HOME has to include
your architecture, something like /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64.

Miguel Landaeta, miguel at miguel.cc
secure email with PGP 0x7D8967E9 available at http://keyserver.pgp.com/