Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Jakub Adam

Default RFS: eclipse-cdt-qt

Dear java packagers,

I am looking for a sponsor for package "eclipse-cdt-qt".

* Package name : eclipse-cdt-qt
Version : 1.6.1-1
Upstream Author : Nokia
* License : LGPL-2.1
Section : java

It builds those binary packages:

eclipse-cdt-qt - Qt integration for Eclipse CDT
eclipse-cdt-qt-jni - Qt integration for Eclipse CDT (native libraries)

Files can be accessed at pkg-java git repository:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-cdt-qt.git

This plugin allows one to use standard Qt development tools from inside of
Eclipse environment. The main features of the integration are:
.
* Fully integrated form editor (Qt Designer)
* Wizards for creating new Qt projects and classes
* Integrated .pro file editor
* Automated build setup for moc, uic, and rcc

Kind regards,

Jakub Adam

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-01-12 23:26, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Dear java packagers,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for package "eclipse-cdt-qt".
>
> * Package name : eclipse-cdt-qt
> Version : 1.6.1-1
> Upstream Author : Nokia
> * License : LGPL-2.1
> Section : java
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
> eclipse-cdt-qt - Qt integration for Eclipse CDT
> eclipse-cdt-qt-jni - Qt integration for Eclipse CDT (native libraries)
>
> Files can be accessed at pkg-java git repository:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-cdt-qt.git
>
> This plugin allows one to use standard Qt development tools from inside of
> Eclipse environment. The main features of the integration are:
> .
> * Fully integrated form editor (Qt Designer)
> * Wizards for creating new Qt projects and classes
> * Integrated .pro file editor
> * Automated build setup for moc, uic, and rcc

> Kind regards,
>
> Jakub Adam

Hi,

I am a bit concerned with the patches here. Particularly
"custom-build.patch" contains a lot of code changes and its
description/subject ("custom-build") is completely unhelpful.

The description of "disable-preview.patch" sounds like we need a
README.Debian to document it.

d/rules:
"""
override_dh_makeshlibs:
# Do not call ldconfig in postinst and postrm
"""

By the looks of it, you want "dh_makeshlibs -n" instead of "no-op". I
suspect that the use of the multi-arch'ed JNI dir requires a
pre-dependency of "multiarch-support" (but I could be wrong here).

~Niels

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Niels,

I am a bit concerned with the patches here. Particularly
"custom-build.patch" contains a lot of code changes and its
description/subject ("custom-build") is completely unhelpful.

I split that patch into smaller chunks and added some descriptions, see git.

The description of "disable-preview.patch" sounds like we need a
README.Debian to document it.

Created a readme documenting this and other bigger changes.

d/rules:
"""
override_dh_makeshlibs:
# Do not call ldconfig in postinst and postrm
"""

By the looks of it, you want "dh_makeshlibs -n" instead of "no-op".

Added.

I suspect that the use of the multi-arch'ed JNI dir requires a
pre-dependency of "multiarch-support" (but I could be wrong here).

After I put back dh_makeshlibs, dpkg-gencontrol complained about unused
substitution variable ${misc:Pre-Depends}, so it seems you are right.
Added.

Regards,

Jakub

Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-01-17 22:05, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
>> [...]
>
> Regards,
>
> Jakub

Hi Jakub,

I checked the license notice in qswt/shared/shared_global_p.h of
eclipse-cdt-qa[1] and found:

"""
/************************************************** **************************
**
** Copyright (C) 2009 Nokia Corporation and/or its subsidiary(-ies).
** All rights reserved.
** Contact: Nokia Corporation (qt-info@nokia.com)
**
** This file is part of the Qt Designer of the Qt Toolkit.
**
** Windows(R) users may use this file under the terms of the Qt Eclipse
** Plug In License Agreement Version 1.0 as attached in the LICENSE.TXT
file.
**
** Linux(R) users may use this file under the terms of the GNU Lesser
** General Public License Agreement version 2.1 as shown in the
LGPL-2_1.TXT file.
**
************************************************** **************************/

"""

This license in itself is discriminating against users, so it has to go
in non-free unless we can obtain it under a better license.

There is a potential loop-hole in this license via the LGPL-2.1. A
"Linux user" could take them up on the LGPL-2.1 offer (the file has no
extra restrictions) and via the terms of the LGPL-2.1 distribute the
sources under a LGPL-2.1. The only issue is there is no "definition" of
a Linux user (as far as I can tell), so I am not sure it is a "safe"
work around.

You may want to contact d-legal@l.d.o or/and upstream about this.
Alternatively, perhaps someone on-list has

~Niels

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-cdt-qt.git;a=blob;f=qswt/shared/shared_global_p.h;h=ce42b1fffee39d02caaab366c4fbef c4262d5edb;hb=a20afb4872ce4c128643b1f30bd0ec5a0420 cf09

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi,

This license in itself is discriminating against users, so it has to go
in non-free unless we can obtain it under a better license.

for completeness I paste here a link to analysis I got from debian-legal [1]
(nothing much new there). I will try to contact upstream and clarify the license.

Hopefully Nokia will allow me to use the code under free license because as I
found out some files are already available under LGPL, for example
qswt/shared/shared_global_p.h is a private header distributed with Qt.

Regards

Jakub

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2012/02/msg00002.html

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-02-02 22:41, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This license in itself is discriminating against users, so it has to go
>> in non-free unless we can obtain it under a better license.
>
> for completeness I paste here a link to analysis I got from debian-legal
> [1]
> (nothing much new there). I will try to contact upstream and clarify the
> license.
>
> Hopefully Nokia will allow me to use the code under free license because
> as I
> found out some files are already available under LGPL, for example
> qswt/shared/shared_global_p.h is a private header distributed with Qt.
>
> Regards
>
> Jakub
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2012/02/msg00002.html

Actually, we can replace the private headers with clearly LGPL-licensed
counterparts, it should be ok. I recall doing something like this with
tijmp.

~Niels