Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Olivier Sallou

Default java6-runtime on Ubuntu?

Hi,
I have a short question regarding jdk7
I have a package that depends on default-jdk.

An Ubuntu user asks me to depend (also) on jdk7.
Though this can easilly be done by adding a new OR condition to the
dependencies (default-jdk|openjdk7-jdk),
I'd like to know what is the current policy regarding jdk7 with packages
(could be a mess adding versions again and again on packages...)

Regarding java6-runtime, I do not find it on Ubuntu. What happens to
packages using it when "going to" Ubuntu ?

Thanks

Olivier

--

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438 (pgp.mit.edu)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335 D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438

Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Scott Howard

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou@irisa.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a short question regarding jdk7
> I have a package that depends on default-jdk.
>
> An Ubuntu user asks me to depend (also) on jdk7.
> Though this can easilly be done by adding a new OR condition to the
> dependencies (default-jdk|openjdk7-jdk),
> I'd like to know what is the current policy regarding jdk7 with packages
> (could be a mess adding versions again and again on packages...)

I don't think there's a policy against that. Many packages have had
Depends: default-jre | sun-java6 | openjdk-5-jdk,...
or similar lines

> Regarding java6-runtime, I do not find it on Ubuntu. What happens to
> packages using it when "going to" Ubuntu ?

I believe you're looking for this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-December/001528.html

"As of August 24th 2011, we no longer have permission to redistribute new
Java packages as Oracle has retired the “Operating System Distributor
License for Java” "

"If you are currently using the Oracle Java packages from the partner
archive, you have two options:

1- Install the OpenJDK packages that are provided in the main Ubuntu
archive. (icedtea6-plugin for the browser plugin, openjdk-6-jdk or
openjdk-6-jre for the virtual machine)
2- Manually install Oracle's Java software from their web site"

and see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes/Java6Transition

sun-java is removed from Debian too for the same reason:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sun-java6/news/20111025T091708Z.html

~Scott

Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
ciel

> I have a package that depends on default-jdk.
It seems you can change the dependency to java-sdk.

> Regarding java6-runtime, I do not find it on Ubuntu. What happens to
> packages using it when "going to" Ubuntu ?
Use one of these:
https://github.com/cedricpineau/java-package (might be merged to wheezy)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uammywfed6d2rgj oracle-java6-*.deb (this my
implementation is too adhoc and will be superceded by cedric's)
What I mean is that sun-java6-jdk package won't be available any longer.

Sincerely, ciel

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Le lundi 09 janvier 2012 18:09:27, Olivier Sallou a crit :
> Hi,
> I have a short question regarding jdk7
> I have a package that depends on default-jdk.
>
> An Ubuntu user asks me to depend (also) on jdk7.
> Though this can easilly be done by adding a new OR condition to the
> dependencies (default-jdk|openjdk7-jdk),
> I'd like to know what is the current policy regarding jdk7 with packages
> (could be a mess adding versions again and again on packages...)
>
> Regarding java6-runtime, I do not find it on Ubuntu. What happens to
> packages using it when "going to" Ubuntu ?

I think that you mix two things :
1) sun-java6-jre has been removed from Debian unstable [1] and will be removed
from Ubuntu soon, AFAIK [2].
2) java6-runtime is a virtual package provided by some JRE :
aptitude search "?provides(java6-runtime)" -F %p
default-jre
default-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-7-jre
openjdk-7-jre-headless

So, if you build with source/target 1.6, I would recommend something like :
Depends: default-jre-headless (>= 1:1.6) | java6-runtime

(As a side note, openjdk-7-jre provide java6-runtime like openjdk-7-jre)

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/15/#javarm
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes/Java6Transition

--
Damien - Debian Developper