Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Jakub Adam

Default RFS: eclipse-mylyn (2nd try)

Dear java packagers,

I am still looking for a sponsor for package "eclipse-mylyn".

* Package name : eclipse-mylyn
Version : 3.6.4-1
Upstream Author : Eclipse Mylyn Project
* License : EPL-1.0
Section : devel

It builds those binary packages:

eclipse-mylyn - Task-Focused Interface for Eclipse
eclipse-mylyn-context-cdt - Mylyn context integration for Eclipse CDT
eclipse-mylyn-context-jdt - Task support for Eclipse JDT
eclipse-mylyn-context-pde - Task support for Eclipse PDE
eclipse-mylyn-versions-cvs - Mylyn version control integration for CVS
eclipse-mylyn-versions-git - Mylyn version control integration for git
eclipse-mylyn-tasks-bugzilla - Mylyn Bugzilla Connector
eclipse-mylyn-tasks-trac - Mylyn Trac Connector
eclipse-mylyn-wikitext - Mylyn WikiText

Package sources can be accessed at pkg-java git repository:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-mylyn.git

Kind regards,

Jakub Adam

Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-01-04 16:52, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Dear java packagers,
>
> I am still looking for a sponsor for package "eclipse-mylyn".
>
> * Package name : eclipse-mylyn
> Version : 3.6.4-1
> Upstream Author : Eclipse Mylyn Project
> * License : EPL-1.0
> Section : devel
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
> eclipse-mylyn - Task-Focused Interface for Eclipse
> eclipse-mylyn-context-cdt - Mylyn context integration for Eclipse CDT
> eclipse-mylyn-context-jdt - Task support for Eclipse JDT
> eclipse-mylyn-context-pde - Task support for Eclipse PDE
> eclipse-mylyn-versions-cvs - Mylyn version control integration for CVS
> eclipse-mylyn-versions-git - Mylyn version control integration for git
> eclipse-mylyn-tasks-bugzilla - Mylyn Bugzilla Connector
> eclipse-mylyn-tasks-trac - Mylyn Trac Connector
> eclipse-mylyn-wikitext - Mylyn WikiText
>
> Package sources can be accessed at pkg-java git repository:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse-mylyn.git

> Kind regards,
>
> Jakub Adam

Hi,

Did you push your pristine-tar branch here? 3.6.4.orig.tar.bz2 appears
to be available, but your tags suggests that I want
3.6.4+fix1.orig.tar.bz2. On a related note, since 3.6.4 has not been
uploaded to Debian, we can drop the +fix1 part (though it will probably
require some updates to existing tags).

~Niels

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Niels,

Did you push your pristine-tar branch here? 3.6.4.orig.tar.bz2 appears
to be available, but your tags suggests that I want
3.6.4+fix1.orig.tar.bz2.

You are right, I forgot to push it, sorry. It's there already.

On a related note, since 3.6.4 has not been

uploaded to Debian, we can drop the +fix1 part (though it will probably
require some updates to existing tags).

Initially I wanted to delete the upstream/3.6.4 tag and move it to new location,
but on push I got an error that repository does not allow to delete tags.
So I solved it this way. If you know how, feel free to change the tagging.

Regards,

Jakub

Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-01-16 17:04, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
>> Did you push your pristine-tar branch here? 3.6.4.orig.tar.bz2 appears
>> to be available, but your tags suggests that I want
>> 3.6.4+fix1.orig.tar.bz2.
>
> You are right, I forgot to push it, sorry. It's there already.
>
> On a related note, since 3.6.4 has not been
>> uploaded to Debian, we can drop the +fix1 part (though it will probably
>> require some updates to existing tags).
>
> Initially I wanted to delete the upstream/3.6.4 tag and move it to new
> location,
> but on push I got an error that repository does not allow to delete tags.
> So I solved it this way. If you know how, feel free to change the tagging.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jakub

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I cannot build it, it
fails at:

"""
# Regenerate org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.core code from model
eclipse -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner
-buildfile debian/ecoreToJava.xml

-data debian/.eclipse-build

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=debian/.eclipse-build/build/home
-consoleLog -noSplash
<Tons of gdk errors>
Segmentation fault
"""

I suspect the issue was that X11 was not running/available in my chroot.
Maybe even just that $HOME existed but was not writable. Come to think
of it, you are probably missing a -Duser.home=<somewhere> as well.
Eclipse has been notoriously poor at staying out of $HOME in our
automated builds.

~Niels

Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Niels,

I cannot build it, it fails at:

"""
# Regenerate org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.core code from model
eclipse -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner
-buildfile debian/ecoreToJava.xml

-data debian/.eclipse-build

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=debian/.eclipse-build/build/home
-consoleLog -noSplash
<Tons of gdk errors>
Segmentation fault
"""

I suspect the issue was that X11 was not running/available in my chroot.
Maybe even just that $HOME existed but was not writable. Come to think
of it, you are probably missing a -Duser.home=<somewhere> as well.
Eclipse has been notoriously poor at staying out of $HOME in our
automated builds.

I tried many times but I couldn't reproduce your crash. Can you please describe in
more detail the way how you build the package? This is what I did:

- got Debian testing in virtual machine so that it is independent of my normal
environment, dist-upgraded to latest version
- removed X11 so that it is not running nor installed on the machine
- installed pbuilder, initialized base unstable tarball with

pbuilder --create --distribution sid

- cloned eclipse-mylyn from git.debian.org
- created .orig tarball from latest upstream/* tag
- run

pdebuild --

(user entry in /etc/sudoers required)
- standard procedure of build-dependencies download into chroot and compilation succeeds

I even tried to run (as a regular user)

HOME=/root dpkg-buildpackage

and add -Duser.home=/root to antRunner invocation in d/rules to make it crash because
of inaccessible home location, but with no success.

What am I doing wrong that it doesn't crash?

Regards

Jakub

Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-02-03 19:57, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,

Hi,

Sorry for the latency, but at least I got progress...

>> I cannot build it, it fails at:
>>
>> """
>> [...]
>> """
>>
>> I suspect the issue was that X11 was not running/available in my chroot.
>> Maybe even just that $HOME existed but was not writable. Come to think
>> of it, you are probably missing a -Duser.home=<somewhere> as well.
>> Eclipse has been notoriously poor at staying out of $HOME in our
>> automated builds.
>
> I tried many times but I couldn't reproduce your crash. Can you please
> describe in
> more detail the way how you build the package? This is what I did:
>
> - got Debian testing in virtual machine so that it is independent of my
> normal
> environment, dist-upgraded to latest version
> - removed X11 so that it is not running nor installed on the machine
> - installed pbuilder, initialized base unstable tarball with
>
> pbuilder --create --distribution sid
>
> - cloned eclipse-mylyn from git.debian.org
> - created .orig tarball from latest upstream/* tag
> - run
>
> pdebuild --
>
> (user entry in /etc/sudoers required)
> - standard procedure of build-dependencies download into chroot and
> compilation succeeds
>
> I even tried to run (as a regular user)
>
> HOME=/root dpkg-buildpackage

Sure, see for my build setup/configuration[1]. Also, I am not sure how
much Eclipse (or Java) pays attention $HOME (vs reading it from
/etc/passwd).

> and add -Duser.home=/root to antRunner invocation in d/rules to make it
> crash because
> of inaccessible home location, but with no success.
>
> What am I doing wrong that it doesn't crash?
>
> Regards
>
> Jakub

Meanwhile, I managed to get something comprehensible out of the
eclipse-mylin build. The build failed the same step, but with some
tricks I got an X11 dialog out of it:

"""
The configuration area at
'/home/<user>/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_155965261/configuration'
could not be created. Please choose a writable location using the
'-configuration' command line option.
"""

If I clear my DISPLAY, it goes back to seg. faulting. Anyhow, with this
I am certain it tries to write to my $HOME. :P You may find [3] useful
as inspiration for running eclipse during builds, though it does not set
"-configuration".

~Niels

[1] Build setup:

My chroot is maintained by cowbuilder (using --update). For builds I
copy the "chroot" to a tmpfs. A couple of directories are bind-mounted
into the build-root (/proc, /dev/pts and my debian work-dir). Before
chroot'ing into the build dir, the following ENV variables are changed:

"""
unset LANG
unset DISPLAY
LC_ALL=C
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
export LC_ALL DEBIAN_FRONTEND
"""

Inside the build dir, I install pbuilder + fakeroot and cd to the source
dir (inside the "debian work-dir"). There I run [2] to install
build-deps, create a user inside the chroot (with same ID as my regular
user) and su to that user. From there I use dpkg-buildpackage to build
the package.

My "debian work-dir" is a subdir of my regular user's home and is
mounted as such in the build-root. However, $HOME (inside the root) is
owned by root/root and cannot be written by my user. I have found it
useful in catching eclipse trying to do "naughty" things during
automated builds.

[2] /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends-aptitude

[3] /usr/lib/eclipse/buildscripts/pde-build

Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Niels,

Meanwhile, I managed to get something comprehensible out of the
eclipse-mylin build. The build failed the same step, but with some
tricks I got an X11 dialog out of it:

"""
The configuration area at
'/home/<user>/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_155965261/configuration'
could not be created. Please choose a writable location using the
'-configuration' command line option.
"""

thanks for the instructions, I finally reproduced the crash and pointed -configuration
to some writable location. Current version should be buildable in your chroot now.

Cheers

Jakub

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-02-13 20:13, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
>> [...]
>
> thanks for the instructions, I finally reproduced the crash and pointed
> -configuration
> to some writable location. Current version should be buildable in your
> chroot now.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jakub

Hi,

Thanks for working on this. Indeed, I can build it now.

I noticed some files licensed under Apache 2 (and possible also 1). See
the "license" attachment. Also, the number of matches drastically
increase if you remove the last "grep .java", but I think most of those
matches are just listing of licenses.
I had a look in one of them[1] and it suggests that besides EPL-1,
Apache 1 and 2, we may find "Common Public License Version 1.0", "Metro
Link Public License 1.00" and "Mozilla Public License Version 1.1" in
the source. Of course, it could be the result of copy-waste from core
eclipse bundles (as eclipse itself contains some of those licenses).

Besides those licensed in "license", I also noticed a file called
"junit.jar" (in one of the test bundles). I suspect it is an embedded
copy of junit4, but it has a BSD license file refering to "hamcrest.org" ...

I could recommend using "suspicious-source" for finding questionable
file types in the source package. Though for eclipse-mylyn, its result
apparently consists of 70% "empty files"[2]. >.>
Nevertheless, eclipse upstreams tends to embed one or more 3rd party
Java library jar files (sometimes cleverly disguised as .zip files).
Othertimes they just use them to store various xml files...

Given that eclipse-mylyn appears to have migrated to git[3], I suspect
that debian/get-orig-source is broken.

During build, I noticed two "Java Model Exception: Java Model Status
[org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.core does not exist]" exceptions (with
stack-traces). It might be a non-issue, but I wanted to make sure you
were aware of it.

Other than that, I guess that it is.

~Niels

[1]
org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks/org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla-feature/feature.properties

[2] In case anyone was wondering, I suspect most of them are there to
keep otherwise empty directories tracked in git. Not sure why they have
empty "README.txt" files though. Already filed a bug for it.

[3] http://git.eclipse.org/c/mylyn/

$ grep -r 'Apache' org.eclipse.mylyn* | grep -i 'license' | grep .java
org.eclipse.mylyn.commons/org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.soap/src/org/eclipse/mylyn/internal/provisional/commons/soap/CommonsHttpSender.java: * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
org.eclipse.mylyn.context/org.eclipse.mylyn.java-feature/feature.properties: - Apache Software License 1.1 (available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE)

org.eclipse.mylyn.context/org.eclipse.mylyn.java-feature/feature.properties: - Apache Software License 2.0 (available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)

org.eclipse.mylyn.docs/org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.core/src/org/eclipse/mylyn/internal/wikitext/core/util/XML11Char.java: * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
org.eclipse.mylyn.docs/org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.core/src/org/eclipse/mylyn/internal/wikitext/core/util/XML11Char.java: * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0

Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Niels,

I noticed some files licensed under Apache 2 (and possible also 1). See
the "license" attachment.

From your listing only CommonsHttpSender.java and XML11Char.java are actual
code under Apache license. I added them to a separate section in d/copyright
with their correct license.

Also, the number of matches drastically
increase if you remove the last "grep .java", but I think most of those
matches are just listing of licenses.

I went through the list and it's as you say - license agreement texts and
plenty of lists of possible licenses that may appear.

I had a look in one of them[1] and it suggests that besides EPL-1,
Apache 1 and 2, we may find "Common Public License Version 1.0", "Metro
Link Public License 1.00" and "Mozilla Public License Version 1.1" in
the source. Of course, it could be the result of copy-waste from core
eclipse bundles (as eclipse itself contains some of those licenses).

I searched for all of the mentioned licenses but found no occurrence of
any other than EPL and Apache-2.0. Surely that list was copied from other
project.

Besides those licensed in "license", I also noticed a file called
"junit.jar" (in one of the test bundles). I suspect it is an embedded
copy of junit4, but it has a BSD license file refering to "hamcrest.org" ...

I could recommend using "suspicious-source" for finding questionable
file types in the source package. Though for eclipse-mylyn, its result
apparently consists of 70% "empty files"[2].>.>
Nevertheless, eclipse upstreams tends to embed one or more 3rd party
Java library jar files (sometimes cleverly disguised as .zip files).
Othertimes they just use them to store various xml files...

To the files in question:

* ./org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks/org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.tests/testdata/*.zip
these are zip archives containing test data in xml. I think they can be
left alone.

* ./org.eclipse.mylyn.builds/.../org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.sample.ant/junit.jar
binary junit4 jar, I will remove this.

* ./org.eclipse.mylyn.commons/org.eclipse.mylyn.discovery.tests/testdata/update/.../*.jar
These jars are in fact zip archives with xml files. As they don't contain any
binaries which would have to be recompiled from source, I'd like to keep them
in place.

* ./org.eclipse.mylyn.context/org.eclipse.mylyn.context.tests/testdata/projects/project*.zip
Two zipped eclipse projects used as test data. They contain both dummy java sources and their
compiled *.class files. Should I remove the binaries or can I keep the archives intact as the
source codes are available?

(I will wait for your feedback before changing the upstream tarball.)

Given that eclipse-mylyn appears to have migrated to git[3], I suspect
that debian/get-orig-source is broken.

Updated the script to download files from new location.

During build, I noticed two "Java Model Exception: Java Model Status
[org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.core does not exist]" exceptions (with
stack-traces). It might be a non-issue, but I wanted to make sure you
were aware of it.

I know about the exceptions, but I checked the generated code and it seems to be correct, also
the compiled plugin works as expected.

Regards

Jakub

Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-02-17 20:50, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,

Hi,

>> I noticed some files licensed under Apache 2 (and possible also 1). See
>> the "license" attachment.
>
> From your listing only CommonsHttpSender.java and XML11Char.java are actual
> code under Apache license. I added them to a separate section in
> d/copyright
> with their correct license.

Thanks,

>> [...]
>> I had a look in one of them[1] and it suggests that besides EPL-1,
>> Apache 1 and 2, we may find "Common Public License Version 1.0", "Metro
>> Link Public License 1.00" and "Mozilla Public License Version 1.1" in
>> the source. Of course, it could be the result of copy-waste from core
>> eclipse bundles (as eclipse itself contains some of those licenses).
>
> I searched for all of the mentioned licenses but found no occurrence of
> any other than EPL and Apache-2.0. Surely that list was copied from other
> project.
>

>> Besides those licensed in "license", I also noticed a file called
>> "junit.jar" (in one of the test bundles). I suspect it is an embedded
>> copy of junit4, but it has a BSD license file refering to
>> "hamcrest.org" ...
>>

>> I could recommend using "suspicious-source" for finding questionable
>> file types in the source package. Though for eclipse-mylyn, its result
>> apparently consists of 70% "empty files"[2].>.>
>> Nevertheless, eclipse upstreams tends to embed one or more 3rd party
>> Java library jar files (sometimes cleverly disguised as .zip files).
>> Othertimes they just use them to store various xml files...
>
> To the files in question:
>
> * ./org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks/org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.tests/testdata/*.zip
> these are zip archives containing test data in xml. I think they can be
> left alone.

I believe it is ok.

> *
> ./org.eclipse.mylyn.builds/.../org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.sample.ant/junit.jar
>
> binary junit4 jar, I will remove this.

Thanks

> *
> ./org.eclipse.mylyn.commons/org.eclipse.mylyn.discovery.tests/testdata/update/.../*.jar
>
> These jars are in fact zip archives with xml files. As they don't
> contain any
> binaries which would have to be recompiled from source, I'd like to
> keep them
> in place.

I believe this is ok as well.

> *
> ./org.eclipse.mylyn.context/org.eclipse.mylyn.context.tests/testdata/projects/project*.zip
>
> Two zipped eclipse projects used as test data. They contain both
> dummy java sources and their
> compiled *.class files. Should I remove the binaries or can I keep
> the archives intact as the
> source codes are available?
>
> (I will wait for your feedback before changing the upstream tarball.)

I suspect it would be easier / faster to remove the class files and
recompile them than clarify to the ftp-masters why there are precompiled
sources hidden in a jar file.

To be honest, I had hoped for a "drive-by" review on this one. I know
we in src:eclipse remove dummy classes / compiled interfaces only to
rebuild them at runtime (but those weren't "tests"). If it FTBFS after
you start recompiling it (due to test failures), let me know.

>> Given that eclipse-mylyn appears to have migrated to git[3], I suspect
>> that debian/get-orig-source is broken.
>
> Updated the script to download files from new location.

Thanks.

>> During build, I noticed two "Java Model Exception: Java Model Status
>> [org.eclipse.mylyn.builds.core does not exist]" exceptions (with
>> stack-traces). It might be a non-issue, but I wanted to make sure you
>> were aware of it.
>
> I know about the exceptions, but I checked the generated code and it
> seems to be correct, also
> the compiled plugin works as expected.
>
> Regards
>
> Jakub

Thought as much. As I recall we have a similar problem in src:eclipse... :P

~Niels