Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Andrew Ross

Default RFS: libpgjava

Dear Debian Java Team members,

I am looking for a sponsor for my update to the package libpgjava.
This is already in Debian - the update fixes the outstanding bugs,
including an update to the latest upstream release. I've renamed the
binary packages as agreed in the bug history of #336245 - could someone
please check I've added the correct conflicts/provides/replaces?

The changelog is as follows:

libpgjava (9.1-901-1) unstable; urgency=low

* New upstream release. (closes: #645854)
* Change binary package name to libpostgresql-jdbc-java.
(closes: #336245)
* Remove Michael Koch from Uploaders. (closes: #654090)
* Bump standards version to 3.9.2 (no changes).

I've uploaded the changes to the Debian Java svn repository at:
Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/libpgjava
Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/libpgjava

The upstream tarball can be retrieved with
uscan --rename --download-current-version

Thanks,
Andy Ross

Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Andrew Ross

Dear Debian Java Team members,

I am looking for a sponsor for my update to the package libpgjava.
This is already in Debian - the update fixes an outstanding bug,
and provides an update to the latest upstream release.

The changelog is as follows:

libpgjava (9.1-902-1) unstable; urgency=low

* New upstream release.
* Provide transitional package libpg-java (closes: #659324)
* Bump standards version to 3.9.3 (no changes).

-- Andrew Ross <ubuntu@rossfamily.co.uk> Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:09:40 -0400

Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-07-21 16:28, Andrew Ross wrote:
> Dear Debian Java Team members,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my update to the package libpgjava.
> This is already in Debian - the update fixes an outstanding bug,
> and provides an update to the latest upstream release.
>
> The changelog is as follows:
>
> libpgjava (9.1-902-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
> * New upstream release.
> * Provide transitional package libpg-java (closes: #659324)
> * Bump standards version to 3.9.3 (no changes).
>
> -- Andrew Ross <ubuntu@rossfamily.co.uk> Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:09:40 -0400
>

> I've uploaded the changes to the Debian Java svn repository at:
> Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/libpgjava
> Vcs-Browser:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/libpgjava
>
> The upstream tarball can be retrieved with
> uscan --rename --download-current-version

> Thanks,
> Andy Ross

Hi,

What does the full source debdiff look like? At this point I am a bit
concerned about uploading a new version of something with new features
in it to unstable. Do all the changes in the package satisfy the freeze
policy[1]?

~Niels

[1] http://release.debian.org/wheezy/freeze_policy.html

Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-07-27 02:13, Andrew Ross wrote:
> On 26/07/12 06:20, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Hi Niels,
>
> I think it's at least worth fixing bug #659324 which is fixed by
> adding in transitional package libpg-java, since this fixes the
> upgrade path for this package. If you prefer I could prepare an
> upload that only contains that change.

Certainly, the transition package should not pose a problem (other
than it has to go through new?).

> Annoyingly since the last release upstream have moved from SVN to
> git and removed all the svn tags from their headers, so the change
> affects the comments in every file. However the changes from [1] of
> any real consequence are: [2] which fixes upstream bug 6293 with
> the following comment:
>
> This solves a major performance problem for ResultSetMetaData
> users which did not cache the ResultSetMetaData object. One of the
> users is the driver's own implementation of updatable ResultSets,
> so this can't be worked around solely in end user code.
>
> and: [3] which corrects a signed/unsigned issue

Will the reverse dependencies handle these changes correctly?
Technically [2] is an API/ABI changes for libraries extending the
AbstractJdbc2ResultSet class (but if nothing extends it directly, it
won't be a problem I guess).
Regarding [3], do clients/rdeps handle negative values correctly (or
are they not exposeed to it)?

(For reference, dak finds the following reverse dependencies
Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Depends:
netbeans: libnb-ide14-java
openjpa: libopenjpa-java
osmosis: osmosis
postgis: libpostgis-java

# Broken Build-Depends:
jython: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
netbeans: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
openjpa: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
osmosis: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
postgis: libpg-java
)

> They look fairly safe to me, but I'm happy to go with an update to
> the current upstream version if you think that's better.
>
> Thanks, Andy
>
> [1] https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commits/REL9_1_902 [2]
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commit/1934bf11c792b086dfa6a245fb732a25293ae91b
>
> [3]
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commit/d71fa760c7d99e206cad607913ed75059363bf0b

I am fairly certain a transitional package will be accepted, so I am
okay with just that. For the others, I would like the release team to
pre-approve it before the upload. (i.e. create a full debdiff and
send it as an attachment to a new "unblock" bug against
release.debian.org)

~Niels

Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Andrey Ponomarenko

On 2012-07-21 16:28, Andrew Ross wrote:

[...]

Hello,

I've added this library too:
http://upstream-tracker.org/java/versions/postgresql-jdbc4.html

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, ROSA Lab.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Andrew Ross

On 27/07/12 12:28, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've added this library too:
> http://upstream-tracker.org/java/versions/postgresql-jdbc4.html

Thanks Andrey, that's very helpful. Would it be possible to get the
intermediate versions included too? The source tarballs are all on
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/ despite not being linked from the
download page on the website.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Andrey Ponomarenko

Andrew Ross wrote:

On 27/07/12 12:28, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:

Hello,

I've added this library too:
http://upstream-tracker.org/java/versions/postgresql-jdbc4.html

Thanks Andrey, that's very helpful. Would it be possible to get the
intermediate versions included too? The source tarballs are all on
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/ despite not being linked from the
download page on the website.

Yes, of course. It's updated:

Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Andrew Ross

On 27/07/12 08:15, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2012-07-27 02:13, Andrew Ross wrote:
>> On 26/07/12 06:20, Niels Thykier wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Niels,
>>
>> I think it's at least worth fixing bug #659324 which is fixed by
>> adding in transitional package libpg-java, since this fixes the
>> upgrade path for this package. If you prefer I could prepare an
>> upload that only contains that change.
>>

> Certainly, the transition package should not pose a problem (other
> than it has to go through new?).
>
>> Annoyingly since the last release upstream have moved from SVN to
>> git and removed all the svn tags from their headers, so the change
>> affects the comments in every file. However the changes from [1] of
>> any real consequence are: [2] which fixes upstream bug 6293 with
>> the following comment:
>>
>> This solves a major performance problem for ResultSetMetaData
>> users which did not cache the ResultSetMetaData object. One of the
>> users is the driver's own implementation of updatable ResultSets,
>> so this can't be worked around solely in end user code.
>>
>> and: [3] which corrects a signed/unsigned issue
>>

> Will the reverse dependencies handle these changes correctly?
> Technically [2] is an API/ABI changes for libraries extending the
> AbstractJdbc2ResultSet class (but if nothing extends it directly, it
> won't be a problem I guess).
> Regarding [3], do clients/rdeps handle negative values correctly (or
> are they not exposeed to it)?
>
> (For reference, dak finds the following reverse dependencies
> Checking reverse dependencies...
> # Broken Depends:
> netbeans: libnb-ide14-java
> openjpa: libopenjpa-java
> osmosis: osmosis
> postgis: libpostgis-java
>
> # Broken Build-Depends:
> jython: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
> netbeans: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
> openjpa: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
> osmosis: libpostgresql-jdbc-java
> postgis: libpg-java
> )
>

>> They look fairly safe to me, but I'm happy to go with an update to
>> the current upstream version if you think that's better.
>>
>> Thanks, Andy
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commits/REL9_1_902 [2]
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commit/1934bf11c792b086dfa6a245fb732a25293ae91b
>>
>> [3]
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commit/d71fa760c7d99e206cad607913ed75059363bf0b
>>

> I am fairly certain a transitional package will be accepted, so I am
> okay with just that. For the others, I would like the release team to
> pre-approve it before the upload. (i.e. create a full debdiff and
> send it as an attachment to a new "unblock" bug against
> release.debian.org)
>
> ~Niels

OK, I've updated the SVN repository so that we only add in the
transitional package for now. If someone is able to check it and sponsor
the upload then I'll file an unblock bug against release.debian.org.

Thanks,
Andy