Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Cédric Pineau

Default New work on java-package

To build upon several threads regarding java-package, I've played with it on my side with the hope it could find his way back in debian (I too need clean installs of Oracle java on debian, should it only be because it's Oracle one and companies/people don't want to hear about subtle differences, they want the one they used to use, the one everybody use, the one they download and use on their windows, ...)

I put my fork on github for the moment : https://github.com/cedricpineau/java-package
It consists of :
- last codebase of java-package (0.42)

- complete removal of previously supported jvm (blackdown, ibm, sun, etc), to refocus the tool on tested and used contents

- addition of 32bits and 64bits Oracle 7 (jdk, jre, javadoc), with iceweasel and chromium as supported navigators so far.

Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?

Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free software like Oracle JVM ? (http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)

Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I did it ?

Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as I volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

Best wishes to all, thanks for your advices.

--
Cédric

Old 01-01-2012, 08:14 PM
David Gerard

2012/1/1 Cédric Pineau <cedric.pineau@gmail.com>:

> Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed and
> renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?
> Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free
> software like Oracle JVM ?
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)
> Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I did
> it ?
> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as I
> volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

Looking at it, it no longer seems to support Oracle Java 6. Speaking
as a prospective user, it would be wonderful if it did :-) Oracle Java
6 is still a current version, it hasn't been EOLed.

- d.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Cédric Pineau

Looking at it, it no longer seems to support Oracle Java 6. Speaking

as a prospective user, it would be wonderful if it did :-) Oracle Java

6 is still a current version, it hasn't been EOLed.

*You're right, I removed it to get a clean start, but putting it back is on my todo list, say, this week.

--
Cédric

Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Russ Allbery

Cédric Pineau <cedric.pineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed
> and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?
> Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free
> software like Oracle JVM ? (
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)

I don't have a lot of time, but to offer encouragement, I think what
you're doing sounds good (I've not looked at it in detail), and I think
it's absolutely appropriate to provide a tool (in contrib) to install the
Oracle JVM.

Unfortunately, the reality of large-site system administration is that one
often has to work with vendors who simply insist that you run a particular
JVM or they won't provide support, and as annoying and frustrating as that
is, it's something that one has to live with.

> Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I
> did it ?

Java 6 support is important... other than that, I'd have to look at what
you removed, but certainly having something is better than nothing!

> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as
> I volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

I'd *prefer* if someone else did it since I don't have a lot of time, but
I'm willing to sponsor the package if no one else has resources, since
we'll definitely use it.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Matthias Klose

On 01/01/2012 10:00 PM, Cédric Pineau wrote:
> To build upon several threads regarding java-package, I've played with it
> on my side with the hope it could find his way back in debian (I too need
> clean installs of Oracle java on debian, should it only be because it's
> Oracle one and companies/people don't want to hear about subtle
> differences, they want the one they used to use, the one everybody use, the
> one they download and use on their windows, ...)
>
> I put my fork on github for the moment :
> https://github.com/cedricpineau/java-package
> It consists of :
> - last codebase of java-package (0.42)
> - complete removal of previously supported jvm (blackdown, ibm, sun, etc),
> to refocus the tool on tested and used contents
> - addition of 32bits and 64bits Oracle 7 (jdk, jre, javadoc), with
> iceweasel and chromium as supported navigators so far.
>
> Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed
> and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ?
> Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free
> software like Oracle JVM ? (
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html)
> Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I
> did it ?
> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as I
> volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

I didn't like java-package in the past, and I don't like it now, however some
comments:

- priority of java7 alternatives should be higher than
java6 alternatives (i.e. 317 instead of 316)
- please don't provide an alternative for apt anymore. it's
deprecated upstream, and I'll remove it from openjdk as well.
- please support the .jinfo files (update-java-alternatives)
- please install into a multiarch location to allow installing
the i386 client vm on amd64 and ia64.

Matthias

Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Cédric Pineau

- priority of java7 alternatives should be higher than

* java6 alternatives (i.e. 317 instead of 316)

* Priorities were set to 316 for sun-java6-jre and 315 for sun-java6-jdk in java-package-0.42
* Should I follow this, with for example 318 and 317 ?

*- please don't provide an alternative for apt anymore. it's

* deprecated upstream, and I'll remove it from openjdk as well.

*Ok, done.
*

*- please support the .jinfo files (update-java-alternatives)

*Ok. To be done.
*

*- please install into a multiarch location to allow installing

* the i386 client vm on amd64 and ia64.

*Sorry, I don't get it. Can you tell more about this ?
*

Matthias

--
Cédric

Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Cédric Pineau

*I've put back support for oracle-java6 >= update10.
*Do you need previous java6 releases to be supported too ?

*Cédric

Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
David Gerard

2012/1/2 Cédric Pineau <cedric.pineau@gmail.com>:

> *I've put back support for oracle-java6 >= update10.
> *Do you need previous java6 releases to be supported too ?

Me? No, I'm interested in current versions that haven't been packaged
because of Oracle taking back the licence :-)

I'll try it tomorrow (back at work) and will report back!

- d.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
David Gerard

On 2 January 2012 18:29, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/2 Cédric Pineau <cedric.pineau@gmail.com>:

>> *I've put back support for oracle-java6 >= update10.
>> *Do you need previous java6 releases to be supported too ?

> Me? No, I'm interested in current versions that haven't been packaged
> because of Oracle taking back the licence :-)
> I'll try it tomorrow (back at work) and will report back!

It seems to make a functional package. Tomcat starts and two of our
internal apps start, so that's good so far :-)

This is exactly what I did to try it out, using my Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64
desktop as the build box:

1. sudo apt-get install debhelper
2. Get the zip of java-package from github, unzip to a suitable
directory. cd there.
/home/fun/bin/cedricpineau-java-package-b77d4f0
3. Move all files from ./lib/* to the same directory.
4. Edit make-jpkg and change lib_dir="/usr/share/java-package" to
point to /home/fun/bin/cedricpineau-java-package-b77d4f0
5. Download the self-extracting bin file from Oracle to
/home/fun/Downloads/jdk-6u30-linux-x64.bin
6. ./make-jpkg /home/fun/Downloads/jdk-6u30-linux-x64.bin

This gives quite a lot of warnings, which I'll email Cédric directly
if he'd find them useful.

The resulting file has some unresolved dependencies, so I installed it
(on a relatively clean Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64 VM) by:

sudo dpkg -i /home/bmjadmin/oracle-j2sdk1.6_1.6.0+update30_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

- d.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
David Gerard

On 3 January 2012 13:08, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 January 2012 18:29, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Me? No, I'm interested in current versions that haven't been packaged
>> because of Oracle taking back the licence :-)
>> I'll try it tomorrow (back at work) and will report back!

> It seems to make a functional package. Tomcat starts and two of our
> internal apps start, so that's good so far :-)

It appears the following binaries in /usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle
don't get linked properly from /etc/alternatives :

apt (a confusing file name for Java to use in Debian ...)
HtmlConverter
java_vm
jcontrol
jhat