Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
David Gerard

Default New work on java-package

To clarify: these are binaries that the previous 6u26 packages linked
from /etc/alternatives, which running the present Oracle 6u30 JDK
through Cedric's java-package doesn't link.

On 3 January 2012 17:26, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> It appears the following binaries in /usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle
> don't get linked properly from /etc/alternatives :
>
> apt Â* Â*(a confusing file name for Java to use in Debian ...)
> HtmlConverter
> java_vm
> jcontrol
> jhat
> jrunscript
> schemagen
> wsgen
> wsimport
> xjc

- d.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Russ Allbery

David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> writes:

> To clarify: these are binaries that the previous 6u26 packages linked
> from /etc/alternatives, which running the present Oracle 6u30 JDK
> through Cedric's java-package doesn't link.

Per previous discussion on the list, apparently apt is rather obsolete and
has been subsumed into new javac functionality as of Java 6. I'm not sure
about the other ones.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
David Gerard

[to list as well as Russ!]

On 3 January 2012 19:17, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> writes:

>> To clarify: these are binaries that the previous 6u26 packages linked
>> from /etc/alternatives, which running the present Oracle 6u30 JDK
>> through Cedric's java-package doesn't link.

> Per previous discussion on the list, apparently apt is rather obsolete and
> has been subsumed into new javac functionality as of Java 6. I'm not sure
> about the other ones.

apt still exists in 6u30, so should be kept for compatibility (the
entire point of this nuisance).

java_vm is in jre/bin/ rather than bin/ . So it needs special casing.
I've added a whole function for this purpose to keep it in the same
style ...

Here's a (rough) patch for Cédric's consideration. This only handles
Oracle JDK6, I haven't looked at Oracle JRE6/JRE7/JDK7, it could
probably be done better. The only file patched is
lib/oracle-j2sdk1.6/install .

*** oracle-j2sdk1.6/install.old 2012-01-04 12:02:02.707914416 +0000
--- oracle-j2sdk1.6/install 2012-01-04 12:42:19.817241440 +0000
***************
*** 24,50 ****
--- 24,64 ----
"$j2se_base/bin/$program" "$priority"
}

+ # alternative <program> in JRE without man page
+ function program_alternative_jre_no_man() {
+ local program="$1"
+ update-alternatives
+ --install "/usr/bin/$program" "$program"
+ "$j2se_base/jre/bin/$program" "$priority"
+ }
+
# kinit, klist, and ktab not installed at this
# time; handling of /etc/krb5.conf not addressed
# JRE-specific alternatives with JDKs cannot be
# handled by our current approach
program_alternative appletviewer
+ program_alternative apt
program_alternative_no_man ControlPanel
program_alternative extcheck
+ program_alternative_no_man HtmlConverter
program_alternative idlj
program_alternative jar
program_alternative jarsigner
program_alternative java
+ program_alternative_jre_no_man java_vm
program_alternative javac
program_alternative javadoc
program_alternative javah
program_alternative javap
program_alternative javaws
program_alternative jconsole
+ program_alternative_no_man jcontrol
program_alternative jdb
+ program_alternative jhat
program_alternative jinfo
program_alternative jmap
program_alternative jps
+ program_alternative jrunscript
program_alternative jsadebugd
program_alternative jstack
program_alternative jstat
***************
*** 57,66 ****
--- 71,84 ----
program_alternative rmic
program_alternative rmid
program_alternative rmiregistry
+ program_alternative schemagen
program_alternative serialver
program_alternative servertool
program_alternative tnameserv
program_alternative unpack200
+ program_alternative wsgen
+ program_alternative wsimport
+ program_alternative xjc

# derive the architecture-specific
# directory for the plugin

- d.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Matthias Klose

On 01/04/2012 01:51 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> [to list as well as Russ!]
>

> On 3 January 2012 19:17, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> To clarify: these are binaries that the previous 6u26 packages linked
>>> from /etc/alternatives, which running the present Oracle 6u30 JDK
>>> through Cedric's java-package doesn't link.
>
>> Per previous discussion on the list, apparently apt is rather obsolete and
>> has been subsumed into new javac functionality as of Java 6. I'm not sure
>> about the other ones.
>

> apt still exists in 6u30, so should be kept for compatibility (the
> entire point of this nuisance).

no. it's deprecated, and nobody uses it. please do not add it again for this
package. I'll remove that from the openjdk packages, and add conflicts to
earlier versions providing this alternative. and I'll do that for every package
which provides this alternative.

Matthias

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
David Gerard

I've put a description of how I used Cédric's java-package to make a
deb of Oracle JDK 6u30:

http://reddragdiva.dreamwidth.org/574156.html

(I have noted Matthias' strong disapproval of parts of the patch.)

We're deploying this to the template for all our new Ubuntu VMs, so
I'm sure we'll discover new and exciting things to report ...

- d.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Sylvestre Ledru

Bonjour Cédric,

Le dimanche 01 janvier 2012 à 22:00 +0100, Cédric Pineau a écrit :

> To build upon several threads regarding java-package, I've played with
> it on my side with the hope it could find his way back in debian (I
> too need clean installs of Oracle java on debian, should it only be
> because it's Oracle one and companies/people don't want to hear about
> subtle differences, they want the one they used to use, the one
> everybody use, the one they download and use on their windows, ...)
[...]
> Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package
> as I volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?
As the previous maintainer of sun-java6, I am willing to sponsor (and
maintain) it.

Please commit your work in the Debian Java team (git or svn, I don't
mind).

By the way, you should consider switching quickly to Java 7. The EOL of
Java 6 is planned for July 2012 [1].

Sylvestre
[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Cédric Pineau

Le 10 janvier 2012 03:19, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> a écrit :

As the previous maintainer of sun-java6, I am willing to sponsor (and

maintain) it.

Please commit your work in the Debian Java team (git or svn, I don't

mind).

*Great :-) !

*I uploaded it on git. I didn't import previous svn, just put my rework of v0.42.
*Tell me if you think we should keep original work history on hand
*

*I'm now having a look on adding .jinfo support.

--
Cédric

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
David Gerard

2012/1/10 Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org>:

> As the previous maintainer of sun-java6, I am willing to sponsor (and
> maintain) it.

Would you have to hand whatever scripts you used to maintain it? (And
are these releasable?)

- d.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le mardi 10 janvier 2012 à 20:32 +0000, David Gerard a écrit :
> 2012/1/10 Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org>:
>
> > As the previous maintainer of sun-java6, I am willing to sponsor (and
> > maintain) it.
>

> Would you have to hand whatever scripts you used to maintain it? (And
> are these releasable?)
I don't understand your question.

sun-java6 packaging files are still available and public:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-java/trunk/sun-java6/

Sylvestre

Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
David Gerard

On 10 January 2012 20:38, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
> Le mardi 10 janvier 2012 à 20:32 +0000, David Gerard a écrit :

>> Would you have to hand whatever scripts you used to maintain it? (And
>> are these releasable?)

> I don't understand your question.
> sun-java6 packaging files are still available and public:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-java/trunk/sun-java6/

That's exactly what I was asking for. Thank you!

- d.