Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM
David Gerard

Default Copyright on Debian scripts in non-free Sun JRE?

At work, we've just decided all our new hosting is Ubuntu 10.04 using
Sun Java. This was fine until Oracle declded to rescind the
distributor licenses. We do plan to move to OpenJDK, but only after
the utmost testing.

In the meantime, I'm hand-rolling a deb based on the Oracle download.
This project has attracted a few interested emails, so I'd like to
make my work publicly available - even if I can't distribute a deb,
I'd certainly like to make my recipe available for people in the same
boat as me.[*]

COPYRIGHT:

What is the copyright status of the assorted Debian packaging scripts
in the sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jdk packages?

sun-java6-bin contains no copyright notice. sun-java6-jdk contains one
saying the "Debian packaging" is reusable under an X11-like licence.
Is the Debian material in sun-java6-bin licensed similarly?

I'd like to be able to distribute these files at least. (It's possible
to do a recipe that says "and download these debs", but that's an
annoyance best avoided if possible.)

TECHNICAL:

The copyright notice in sun-java6-jdk hasn't changed since 2008. If I
get Sun files from 6u30 and put them into the corresponding places in
these 6u26 debs, stuff *should* work (Sun Java 6 being in maintenance
mode and changes being minimal). Is there any reason this wouldn't be
the case?

My first hackish attempt at a 6u30 deb is detailed at
http://reddragdiva.dreamwidth.org/573719.html - it's missing a lot,
but tomcat starts and runs, as does ActiveMQ and at least one of our
internal bespoke applications :-)

- d.
[*] yes, I know it's our own silly fault for using proprietary
software. I'm working on this one ...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Russ Allbery

David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> writes:

> At work, we've just decided all our new hosting is Ubuntu 10.04 using
> Sun Java. This was fine until Oracle declded to rescind the distributor
> licenses. We do plan to move to OpenJDK, but only after the utmost
> testing.

> In the meantime, I'm hand-rolling a deb based on the Oracle download.
> This project has attracted a few interested emails, so I'd like to make
> my work publicly available - even if I can't distribute a deb, I'd
> certainly like to make my recipe available for people in the same boat
> as me.[*]

While this doesn't directly solve your problem, the Debian package
java-package was designed to do exactly what you're doing and is therefore
under a clear license in that respect. Maybe it's worth taking a look at
it and seeing if it can be resurrected? It unfortunately hasn't been
maintained for more than three years, and had known bugs (you have to get
it from oldstable at this point), but it may have more of a framework for
doing the thing that you're doing. It's what everyone was using before
the Sun JDK could be distributed in non-free.

The advantage of java-package is that it's set up to be a packagable and
redistributable piece of software, rather than having to distribute the
packaging separately and then explain to people how to glue that together
with the Oracle download.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM
David Gerard

On 31 December 2011 01:36, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> While this doesn't directly solve your problem, the Debian package
> java-package was designed to do exactly what you're doing and is therefore
> under a clear license in that respect. *Maybe it's worth taking a look at
> it and seeing if it can be resurrected? *It unfortunately hasn't been
> maintained for more than three years, and had known bugs (you have to get
> it from oldstable at this point), but it may have more of a framework for
> doing the thing that you're doing. *It's what everyone was using before
> the Sun JDK could be distributed in non-free.

That's most helpful, thank you! I see one outstanding bug, which
includes a patch ... I'll have a play with that.

It occurs to me there must have been some semi-automated way to
produce the recent Oracle Java packages. Were these done with
java-package, or by some other means? Because duplicating that setup
would, of course, produce debs just right to replace the debs of old
Sun versions.

- d.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Russ Allbery

David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> writes:

> It occurs to me there must have been some semi-automated way to produce
> the recent Oracle Java packages. Were these done with java-package, or
> by some other means? Because duplicating that setup would, of course,
> produce debs just right to replace the debs of old Sun versions.

Yeah, I assume there's a packaging repository or something around
somewhere, but I personally don't know how the actual Java packages were
maintained. Maybe someone else on the list can weigh in on that.

I don't think they were done with java-package, since the Oracle Java
packages were maintained for quite some time after java-package was
removed from the archive, including packages of versions that would have
run into that java-package bug. Unless they were done with a version of
java-package that wasn't uploaded, but that seems strange.