Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Default Maven 3.x in experimental

Hi Java team!

Maven 3.x is now available in experimental in a new _maven_ debian package.
You'll also need updated _maven2_ package (>= 2.2.1-11) to allow side-by-side
installation (I'm using alternatives to allow user to choose between "mvn" cli
tool).

Please test and report any issue. I'm especially interrested in FTBFS w/ maven
3 or wrong plugin version.

Roadmap (I'm looking for help here :
- update toolchain (maven-ant-helper, maven-debian-helper) to allow packages
to build with maven 3.x
- update plugins to be in sync with upstream (maybe allowing multiple plugins
version in archive... ?)
- made maven 3 default for wheezy (open question... AFAIK, Fedora already
switched)

Damien - Debian Developper
http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan

Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 AM
Manfred Moser

Maven 3.x is now available in experimental in a new _maven_ debian package.
You'll also need updated _maven2_ package (>= 2.2.1-11) to allow side-by-side
installation (I'm using alternatives to allow user to choose between "mvn" cli
tool).

Please test and report any issue. I'm especially interrested in FTBFS w/ maven
3 or wrong plugin version.

Roadmap (I'm looking for help here :
- update toolchain (maven-ant-helper, maven-debian-helper) to allow packages
to build with maven 3.x
- update plugins to be in sync with upstream (maybe allowing multiple plugins
version in archive... ?)

That idea has been shot down many times in the past ... might not be
worth to try for it again..

- made maven 3 default for wheezy (open question... AFAIK, Fedora
already switched)

Maven 3 is MUCH better than Maven 2 and I think it would be a great idea
to make it the default replacing Maven 2 .. upstream has no development
on Maven 2.

manfred
http://simpligility.com

Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Ioan Eugen Stan

2011/12/30 Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@debian.org>:
> Hi Java team!
>
> Maven 3.x is now available in experimental in a new _maven_ debian package.
> You'll also need updated _maven2_ package (>= 2.2.1-11) to allow side-by-side
> installation (I'm using alternatives to allow user to choose between "mvn" cli
> tool).
>
> Please test and report any issue. I'm especially interrested in FTBFS w/ maven
> 3 or wrong plugin version.

Fails to build james-server [1]:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.2.1rocess
(default) on project james-server-jcr: Execution default of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.2.1rocess
failed: For artifact {rome:null:null:jar}: The artifactId cannot be
empty. -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
the -e switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutionException
[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command
[ERROR] mvn <goals> -rf :james-server-jcr

Tried it again at work with binary maven distribution from apache and
it built correctly. You can get the code from here [2] and try to
duplicate the issue.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/
[2] http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html

Should I file bug reports with bugzilla next time?

> Roadmap (I'm looking for help here :
> - update toolchain (maven-ant-helper, maven-debian-helper) to allow packages
> to build with maven 3.x
> - update plugins to be in sync with upstream (maybe allowing multiple plugins
> version in archive... ?)
> - made maven 3 default for wheezy (open question... AFAIK, Fedora already
> switched)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Damien - Debian Developper
> http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan

Cheers,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Damien Raude-Morvan

Ioan,

[...]

Yes, go for it. Please submit a bug to bugs.debian.org.
Please include detailled output of maven with -X -e options and how to
reproduce this.

Cheers,
--
Damien Raude-Morvan