Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Jakub Adam

Default RFS: eclipse (new upstream release with Java 7 support)

Dear java packagers,

I am looking for a sponsor for package "eclipse".

* Package name : eclipse
Version : 3.7.1-1
Upstream Author : The Eclipse project
* License : EPL-1.0
Section : devel

It builds those binary packages:

eclipse - Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE
eclipse-jdt - Eclipse Java Development Tools (JDT)
eclipse-pde - Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment (PDE)
eclipse-platform - Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop any language
eclipse-platform-data - Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop any language (data)
eclipse-rcp - Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP)
libequinox-osgi-java - Equinox OSGi framework

Package source code can be accessed at pkg-java git repository:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git

This is a new upstream release, among standard bugfixes it brings support
for Java 7 development in JDT.

I also included patch from Niels trying to fix the build on additional
architectures and made some changes to make it work with 3.7.1 Eclipse
sources. At least on arm the build process gets past the last point
of failure form 3.7.0-1 release, so hopefully other archs will follow.

Kind regards,

Jakub Adam

Old 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Benjamin Drung

Am Freitag, den 30.12.2011, 15:14 +0100 schrieb Jakub Adam:

Thanks for your work on Eclipse. Two issues come to my mind that we
should fix before the upload: debian/extra/eclipse adds a wrong update
site and the "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true" workaround should be
dropped. For the latter please check the bug report in Ubuntu.

Feel free to ping me on IRC.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer

Old 12-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Jakub Adam

Hi Benjamin,

debian/extra/eclipse adds a wrong updatesite

Changed URL to Indigo update site.

I also changed a bit the way how files to be updated are searched, because
when I run Eclipse for the first time, two files with name
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.prefs are created. So with
regex I pick up the right one in profileRegistry dir.

the "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true" workaround should be dropped.

I tried to run Eclipse without this variable set and found no issues
anymore, so it's removed.

Regards,

Jakub

Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Matthias Klose

On 12/30/2011 03:14 PM, Jakub Adam wrote:
> * Package name : eclipse
> Version : 3.7.1-1
>
> It builds those binary packages:

on which platforms? i.e. are the "architecture templates" updated to build on
more than amd64 and i386?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Jakub Adam

on which platforms? i.e. are the "architecture templates" updated to build on
more than amd64 and i386?

There are arm, ia64, mips, ppc and sparc in the additional architectures - see contents of
debian/eclipse-build-additionalArchs.tar.bz2.

I tried to build the armel variant and successfully compiled org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm
plugin, which failed in previous 3.7.0-1 version[1], though I wasn't able to finish the complete
build because of insufficient amount of RAM (seems it's not possible to use more than 256MB
with arm in qemu).

On the other mentioned architectures compilation was failing in the exactly same location
inside SWT, except powerpc where org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.ppc element was missing so
I created it for this release.

Regards,

Jakub

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=eclipse&arch=armel&ver=3.7.0-1&stamp=1319356889

Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Matthias Klose

On 12/30/2011 11:23 PM, Jakub Adam wrote:
>> on which platforms? i.e. are the "architecture templates" updated to build on
>> more than amd64 and i386?
>
> There are arm, ia64, mips, ppc and sparc in the additional architectures - see
> contents of
> debian/eclipse-build-additionalArchs.tar.bz2.
>
> I tried to build the armel variant and successfully compiled
> org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm
> plugin, which failed in previous 3.7.0-1 version[1], though I wasn't able to
> finish the complete
> build because of insufficient amount of RAM (seems it's not possible to use more
> than 256MB
> with arm in qemu).

currently the heap of a process on ARM is limited to 2GB (which is still not
enough to build eclipse). There is a fix submitted upstream which should help
with this (https://launchpad.net/bugs/861296), although it needs deployment on
the armel and armhf builders as well. This will allow building some more
haskell packages as well.