Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM
James Page

Default Switching default-java to OpenJDK7

Hi Team

At the Ubuntu Developer Summit last week we had a session to discuss
whether the current development release for Ubuntu was the right point
in time to switch default-java to OpenJDK7.

As OpenJDK7 and Oracle Java 7 are much closer in terms of
codebase/compatibility than OpenJDK6/Sun Java 6 the consensus from the
session was that this would be a good switch to make as this release of
Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years.

However, this was qualified by the need to test compatibility both at
build time and run time to support this transition. The state of Java7
on ARM is also key for Ubuntu (and will feed into this decision).

I have conducted a Ubuntu precise rebuild test with default-jdk switched
to use openjdk-7 and at the moment there are around ~100 packages
which fail to build from source (see [1]).

Is anyone in the team making Java 7 transition plans for Debian? Or
indeed does anyone have any opinion on whether this release of Debian is
the right point in time to switch default-java to openjdk-7?

My current 'feel' is that there is a lot of work to make this transition
happen (and for Ubuntu this would need to be completed by early Feb 2012
due to release milestones associated with new features).

Let me know what you think

Cheers

James

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-java
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=java7-ftbfs

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer

Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Florian Weimer

* James Page:

> As OpenJDK7 and Oracle Java 7 are much closer in terms of
> codebase/compatibility than OpenJDK6/Sun Java 6 the consensus from the
> session was that this would be a good switch to make as this release of
> Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years.

Yes, that appears to be a good reason. JDK 6 is EOLed in mid-2012, so
that's another concern.

OpenJDK 7 is also easier to build that OpenJDK 6. (I'm not sure if this
applies to the IcedTea variants.)

> I have conducted a Ubuntu precise rebuild test with default-jdk switched
> to use openjdk-7 and at the moment there are around ~100 packages
> which fail to build from source (see [1]).

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=java7-ftbfs

I get an "Error ID: OOPS-313e91354c2b7ac8927a9e63d54ff035".

What I've noticed so far are tools which cannot parse the rt.jar from
OpenJDK 7.

> Is anyone in the team making Java 7 transition plans for Debian? Or
> indeed does anyone have any opinion on whether this release of Debian is
> the right point in time to switch default-java to openjdk-7?

wheezy will be released after mid-2012, so the Java 7 transition is
pretty much a unavoidable.

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer@bfk.de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/

Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM
James Page

Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Hi James,

Le vendredi 11 novembre 2011 12:30:43, James Page a écrit :
> I have conducted a Ubuntu precise rebuild test with default-jdk switched
> to use openjdk-7 and at the moment there are around ~100 packages
> which fail to build from source (see [1]).

Launchpad seems to timeout...

Have you noticed a common FTBFS pattern for all this packages ? Or all failure
seems differents ?

> Is anyone in the team making Java 7 transition plans for Debian? Or
> indeed does anyone have any opinion on whether this release of Debian is
> the right point in time to switch default-java to openjdk-7?

I'm using openjdk-7 on daily basis without any problem (desktop and
development env.) but I haven't yet do any load testing on production
applications so I cannot provide real(tm) feedback.

> My current 'feel' is that there is a lot of work to make this transition
> happen (and for Ubuntu this would need to be completed by early Feb 2012
> due to release milestones associated with new features).

Yes, fixing 100+ FTBFS is a huge work and spare time of contributors is
scarce... For example, there is still 26 unfixed RC bugs for Debian Java Team
(not counting Java packages not under team control...).

Cheers,
--
Damien

Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
James Page

Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-11-15 18:25, James Page wrote:
> On 14/11/11 18:46, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
>> Hi James,
>
> [...]

Hi,

>> Have you noticed a common FTBFS pattern for all this packages ? Or
>> all failure seems differents ?
>
> There are some common trends - for example I have seen the following
> issues:
>
> 1) Failures due to source file encoding and default behaviour with javac
> 2) Packaging issues where the package depends on default-jdk but
> JAVA_HOME is set to point at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
> 3) Changes to the JDBC API's causing source incompatibility
> 4) Removal of internal API's causing issues for packages which use them
>
> Cheers
>
> James

2) is a FTBFS in Debian (or it should be already), because
java-6-openjdk does not exist anymore (it is java-6-openjdk-$arch).
Feel free to file (serious) bugs for that in Debian.
I think Ubuntu may have "lowered" requirements here but I am not 100%
sure[1]. At least it could be the reason why you do not see the FTBFS
with the normal openjdk-6 in Ubuntu.

~Niels

[1]

"""
java-common (0.43ubuntu1) precise; urgency=low

* Keep old jvm symlinks in the openjdk-6-jre-headless package.

java-common (0.43) unstable; urgency=low

* Depend on the multiarch aware openjdk-6-jre-headless.
* Default to openjdk-6 on ppc64.
-- Matthias Klose <email address hidden> Thu, 20 Oct 2011 [...]

"""

Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
James Page

Hi Team

On 14/11/11 23:46, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Have you noticed a common FTBFS pattern for all this packages ? Or all
failure
> seems differents ?
I've spent the morning doing more analysis on the bugs detected during
this rebuild and it looks like there are some distinct patterns to the
failures.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+encoding
(40)

error: unmappable character for encoding ASCII either during javac
or javadoc.

This issue constitutes that largest number of build failures;
something has changed with respect to what OpenJDK 7 considers to be an
encoding error rather than warning.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+api
(14)

Package does not implement new public API requirements for Java 7;
normally something JDBC related and relatively easy to fix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+lang
(10)

Some sort of language handling change (typically generics handling)
causes the build failure e.g:

error: name clash: boxedFor(Class<? extends Boxed>,long) in
org.gnome.gdk.Plumbing and boxedFor(Class<?>,long) in
org.gnome.glib.Plumbing have the same erasure, yet neither hides the other

Again needs fixing upstream - I suspect that these again will follow
specific patterns with stock fixes.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+maven
(6)

Maven 2 not parsing warning error message causing failure:
could not parse error message: warning: [options] bootstrap class
path not set in conjunction with -source 1.5

Bug in Maven 2? Might be easily resolvable.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+priv-api
(4)

Package makes use of private API no longer present or changed in
Java 7; harder to fix as requires use of different API or significant
refactoring; best worked out with upstream.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+java-home
(4)

Problems with JAVA_HOME in rules not matching default-java i.e.
using openjdk6 explicitly, fixable in packaging

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+test
(3)

Failure in test suite caused build failure.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?search=Search&field.bug_reporter=james-page&field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=java7-ftbfs+fop
(3)

[exec] org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Can't load standard
profile: sRGB.pf

I think this is related to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=641530 in openjdk-6

I'm aiming to start working through this list next week.

I'll re-confirm each against Debian unstable and aim to get fixes into
Debian first. How would people feel about switching default-java in
experimental to OpenJDK7 to help support this transition?

Anything that can't be resolved above the individual package level i.e.
with a fix in OpenJDK/Maven or suchlike I will raise as a bug in Debian
(and upstream if required) for tracking purposes.

Cheers

James

P.S. Any help much appreciated!

- --