Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Florian Weimer

Default update-java-alternatives in postinst

Why is update-java-alternatives not used in the postinst script of Java
implementations? I guess it's because there is no way to invoke in such
that it makes the required adjustments, and only those. Would it make
sense to enhance update-java-alternatives to install new alternatives,
without switching between manual and automatic mode?

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer@bfk.de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/

Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-11-07 15:39, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Why is update-java-alternatives not used in the postinst script of Java
> implementations? I guess it's because there is no way to invoke in such
> that it makes the required adjustments, and only those. Would it make
> sense to enhance update-java-alternatives to install new alternatives,
> without switching between manual and automatic mode?

Hi,

Presumably because it does not have the same level of sophistication as
update-alternatives. As I see it, it is an "admin"/"end-user" tool to
simplify choosing a java alternative and (looking at the code) I doubt
it satisfies policy requirements for a postinst code (as you mentioned).

Not to mention that java-common is not essential (and it shouldn't be),
so it cannot be relied on in (i.e.) preinst. Thus a maintainer have to
use update-alternatives directly anyway in some cases (look at the
migration code in openjdk-6-jre-headless.preinst for instance).

But what would you hope to achieve by making update-java-alternatives
usable in postinst? What does it do that the current maintainer scripts
cannot (or are not) do(ing) with update-alternatives?

~Niels

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Florian Weimer

* Niels Thykier:

> But what would you hope to achieve by making update-java-alternatives
> usable in postinst? What does it do that the current maintainer scripts
> cannot (or are not) do(ing) with update-alternatives?

We've got our own internal OpenJDK builds, and I noticed that several of
the postinst scripts for JVM packages use roughly equivalent code for
setting alternatives, hence my question. It's true that changing this
is likely not worth the hassle.