Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Cédric Pineau

Default Specifying java files encoding through javatools

*Hello.

*I'm trying to package Ejs (http://fem.um.es/Ejs/) and learn the process and tools to use on the way.

*- I downloaded the source package, unzip and rename to ejs-4.3.4

*- I used jh_makepkg to build the debian files skeleton (with debian/rules like : '%: dh --with javahelper $@")
*- I will have to adjust those files, for dependencies at least, and then invoke debian/rules build to get a .deb file (am i right ?)

*
*My blocking problem is I don't see where/how to specify source files are in ISO-8859-1
*
*Also am I on the good path ? Is it better to use jh when possible (Ejs seems to be easy, plain java, no code generation, etc), or should I go for a ant or maven build file immediately (where encoding is easy to handle..)

*Any help appreciated :-)

--
Cédric

Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Matthew Johnson

On Tue Oct 04 16:38, Cédric Pineau wrote:
> I'm trying to package Ejs (http://fem.um.es/Ejs/) and learn the process and
> tools to use on the way.
>
> - I downloaded the source package, unzip and rename to ejs-4.3.4
> - I used jh_makepkg to build the debian files skeleton (with debian/rules
> like : '%: dh --with javahelper $@")
> - I will have to adjust those files, for dependencies at least, and then
> invoke debian/rules build to get a .deb file (am i right ?)

well, dpkg-buildpackage is better than invoking debian/rules directly. You'll
have to tweak several of the files under debian/, including certainly
changelog, copyright and control, probably also including sommme install files.

> My blocking problem is I don't see where/how to specify source files are in
> ISO-8859-1

I thought Java files were always utf8?

> Also am I on the good path ? Is it better to use jh when possible (Ejs
> seems to be easy, plain java, no code generation, etc), or should I go for a
> ant or maven build file immediately (where encoding is easy to handle..)

Well, it should be easy to do with jh_build, but there's nothing stopping you
writing a build.xml for ant - dh7 should pick that up automatically too.
Regardless, you should use the rest of javahelper.

Matt

Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Cédric Pineau

well, dpkg-buildpackage is better than invoking debian/rules directly.

*Ok
*

> *My blocking problem is I don't see where/how to specify source files are in

> ISO-8859-1

I thought Java files were always utf8?

*Class files/java internals are UTF-8, but source files are not necessarily.
--
Cédric

Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Matthew Johnson

On Wed Oct 05 05:30, Cédric Pineau wrote:

> > > My blocking problem is I don't see where/how to specify source files are
> > in
> > > ISO-8859-1
> >
> > I thought Java files were always utf8?
> >
> > Class files/java internals are UTF-8, but source files are not
> necessarily.

override_jh_build:
jh_build -o"-encoding ISO-8859-1"

should do it, you can specify arbitrary extra options to javac this way.

Matt

Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Cédric Pineau

* * * *jh_build -o"-encoding ISO-8859-1"

should do it, you can specify arbitrary extra options to javac this way.

*It works, thank you :-) !

--
Cédric