Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Florian Weimer

Default Backporting Eclipse

I'm trying to backport Eclipse from experimental to a squeeze-based
distribution. I would like to relax the build dependencies for Lucene,
but this appears to be problematic. Currently, I get this error:

[symlinkOSGiJars] Export-Package attributes do not match for org.apache.lucene.analysis

I would appreciate pointers why OSGi is doing this, and how I can
disable those hash-based checks. (I assume that minor Lucene versions
are actually binary-compatible.) This OSGi behavior is reminiscent
of bootloaders which verify digital signatures. 8-/

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer@bfk.de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/

Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-09-26 17:07, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I'm trying to backport Eclipse from experimental to a squeeze-based
> distribution. I would like to relax the build dependencies for Lucene,
> but this appears to be problematic. Currently, I get this error:
>
> [symlinkOSGiJars] Export-Package attributes do not match for org.apache.lucene.analysis
>
> I would appreciate pointers why OSGi is doing this, and how I can
> disable those hash-based checks. (I assume that minor Lucene versions
> are actually binary-compatible.) This OSGi behavior is reminiscent
> of bootloaders which verify digital signatures. 8-/

Hi,

Personally I would wait a bit till eclipse 3.7[1] actually reaches
testing (that is an upload to sid + 10 days of wait or so), as there are
some issues with the experimental version as I recall... but I could be
wrong here.

That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
cannot be reason for a failure. Also, this is not OSGi, but
eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.

~Niels

PS: You may need to backport asm3 3.3 as well.

[1] Truth be told, I probably wouldn't backport eclipse 3.7 to a Squeeze
based system at all...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Florian Weimer

* Niels Thykier:

> That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
> cannot be reason for a failure. Also, this is not OSGi, but
> eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.

Yes, the actual build failure was listed below. The Jetty JAR
references include a version number, and we've got a newer Jetty
version, so that broke the build. Would it make sense to file a bug
about this? It's particularly inconvenient because those references are
inside the eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 file.

Thankfully, I've now got a backport which appears to be working. 8-)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-11-10 11:48, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Niels Thykier:
>
>> That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
>> cannot be reason for a failure. Also, this is not OSGi, but
>> eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.
>
> Yes, the actual build failure was listed below. The Jetty JAR
> references include a version number, and we've got a newer Jetty
> version, so that broke the build. Would it make sense to file a bug
> about this? It's particularly inconvenient because those references are
> inside the eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 file.
>
> Thankfully, I've now got a backport which appears to be working. 8-)

Yeah, eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 is a pain to deal with, but
the alternative is to have eclipse Build-Depends on itself. If I
understood the Fedora people right, you generally need the same major
version of eclipse to bootstrap it (i.e. eclipse 3.7 can only be
bootstrapped by eclipse 3.7).
So currently it appears to be the lesser of two evils.

For future reference, regenerateBootstrapFiles.sh can be used to
(partly) automate the process of updating these scripts. The basic
operation is something like:

ant symlinkDeps
./regenerateBootstrapFiles.sh /path/to/eclipse
ant distclean

The major issue here is that you need a functional eclipse of same major
version (in this case 3.7) and the Build-Depends of eclipse (pulled from
a stable{,-backports} repository).

You can also hand-edit the files in
eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2, which was how I prepared the
initial 3.7~exp upload. (Though I guess this is how you did it :P)

~Niels

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Florian Weimer

* Niels Thykier:

> On 2011-11-10 11:48, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Niels Thykier:
>>
>>> That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
>>> cannot be reason for a failure. Also, this is not OSGi, but
>>> eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.
>>
>> Yes, the actual build failure was listed below. The Jetty JAR
>> references include a version number, and we've got a newer Jetty
>> version, so that broke the build. Would it make sense to file a bug
>> about this? It's particularly inconvenient because those references are
>> inside the eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 file.
>>
>> Thankfully, I've now got a backport which appears to be working. 8-)
>>

> Yeah, eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 is a pain to deal with, but
> the alternative is to have eclipse Build-Depends on itself. If I
> understood the Fedora people right, you generally need the same major
> version of eclipse to bootstrap it (i.e. eclipse 3.7 can only be
> bootstrapped by eclipse 3.7).
> So currently it appears to be the lesser of two evils.

Objective Caml and GCJ ship bytecode of the compiler and bootstrap from
that. That's another approach, but it reeks of a DFSG violation.

> You can also hand-edit the files in
> eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2, which was how I prepared the
> initial 3.7~exp upload. (Though I guess this is how you did it
> :P)

Yeah, and looking at #648641, the issue is likely more generic. How
much control do we have over the script generation? I wonder if we
could tweak it to use the shortest possible symlink in /usr/share/java
instead of (essentially) the output of realpath. This way, we wouldn't
have the version number in the the JAR reference, avoiding tight
coupling to a particular library version.

Actually, I don't think installing Java libraries with versioned names
is such a good idea. We don't do proper versioning for incompatible
library upgrades anyway, and need not support parallel installation of
multiple versions.