Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Mathieu Malaterre

Default Status of jai-imageio-core

Dear all,

I need to work on a jai-imageio-core package for Java. Did anyone
started anything about this package ? This will have to go in non-free
at best.

Thanks much
--
Mathieu

Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Damien Raude-Morvan

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 17:09:33 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I need to work on a jai-imageio-core package for Java. Did anyone
> started anything about this package ? This will have to go in non-free
> at best.

Looking at LICENCE file [1], this clause seems non-free regarding DFSG :
-----------
You acknowledge that this software is not designed or intended for
use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any
nuclear facility.
-----------
=> This is a field of usage restriction (so against DFSG §5).

[1]
http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/sources/svn/content/trunk/LICENSE.txt?rev=254

--
Damien - Debian Developper
http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan

Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Le vendredi 09 septembre 2011 19:56:00, Mat Scales a écrit :
> IANAL, but it reads to me like a warranty disclaimer rather than a
> restriction. It says "it isn't designed to do these things so if you use it
> for these things and your nuclear power plant blows up then it's not my
> fault" rather than "you aren't allowed to use it for these things."

Yes, it seems right to read it this way.
BTW, xmlroff [1] - already in main - as a similar licence.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xmlroff/current/copyright

Cheers,

Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Russ Allbery

Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@debian.org> writes:

> Looking at LICENCE file [1], this clause seems non-free regarding DFSG :
> You acknowledge that this software is not designed or intended for
> use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any
> nuclear facility.
> => This is a field of usage restriction (so against DFSG §5).

Well, except it's not a restriction. Nothing in that says that the
software cannot be used in such a facility, only that the person accepting
the license acknowledges that it was not "designed or intended" for such
use. I think that's benign.