-   -   openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/570222-openjdk-6-openjdk-7-multiarch-installable.html)

Matthias Klose 08-30-2011 10:52 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 are now multiarch installable, unfortunately only on
distributions having a dpkg supporting these (Ubuntu natty and oneiric). So you
can have now both a i386 and amd64 jvm installed on amd64, and you could install
the i386 jitted jvm on ia64. It is implemented by having the jvm installed into

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.X.0-<deb-arch>

Different directories per architecture are currently necessary:

- the timestamps in jar files differ (Fedora did solve this by
repackaging the all jar files and resetting the timestamps for
every file, so that the jar files are the same across archs).

- some jar files differ, most notably rt.jar (does somebody want
to address this issue?)

- the wrappers are architecture dependent.

The path /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk isn't valid anymore. It currently only
contains common jar files. The config file /etc/java-6-openjdk/nss.cfg is gone,
and replaced by nss-<arch>.cfg. I plan to add the symlink
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk to the default-jre-headless package (this is not
multiarch installable anyway).

Matthias

Torsten Werner 08-31-2011 09:13 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

Hi Matthias,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The path /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk isn't valid anymore. *It currently only
> contains common jar files.

which path should we use now if we want to use openjdk-6 explicitely?

Cheers,
Torsten

Matthias Klose 08-31-2011 09:38 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

The path /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk isn't valid anymore. It currently only
contains common jar files.

which path should we use now if we want to use openjdk-6 explicitely?

why deleting the remainder of the email and not reading the email up to the end?

Torsten Werner 09-01-2011 08:46 PM

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> why deleting the remainder of the email and not reading the email up to the
> end?

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk is the answer? I believe
that we will see some FTBFS problems. But maybe that it might a good
reason the switch to default-java.

Torsten

Sylvestre Ledru 09-01-2011 09:00 PM

Le jeudi 01 septembre 2011 à 22:46 +0200, Torsten Werner a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> > why deleting the remainder of the email and not reading the email up to the
> > end?
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk is the answer? I believe
> that we will see some FTBFS problems. But maybe that it might a good
> reason the switch to default-java.
FYI, I just did that for Scilab itself...
I agree with you we could all switch to it.
With Java 7, it could be the right move to add this into the policy...

Sylvestre

Matthias Klose 09-02-2011 01:06 AM

On 09/01/2011 10:46 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Matthias Klose<doko@debian.org> wrote:

why deleting the remainder of the email and not reading the email up to the
end?

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk is the answer? I believe
that we will see some FTBFS problems. But maybe that it might a good
reason the switch to default-java.

openjdk-6-jre-headless now doesn't use java-6-openjdk anymore. so with the
appropriate conflicts, this symlink can be moved to default-jre-headless.

"Damien Raude-Morvan" 09-21-2011 07:20 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

Hi,

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2011 03:06:47, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> On 09/01/2011 10:46 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Matthias Klose<doko@debian.org> wrote:
> >> why deleting the remainder of the email and not reading the email up to
> >> the end?
> >
> > JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk is the answer? I believe
> > that we will see some FTBFS problems. But maybe that it might a good
> > reason the switch to default-java.
>
> openjdk-6-jre-headless now doesn't use java-6-openjdk anymore. so with the
> appropriate conflicts, this symlink can be moved to default-jre-headless.

Now, in unstable, we didn't have /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/ symlink or
directory anymore. What's current plan ? Reintroduce this symlink with
default-jdk package ?

During build, it's work fine to use something like this :
JAVA_HOME := $(firstword $(wildcard /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-
openjdk-$(DEB_HOST_ARCH) /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk))
to handle both multi-arch and single-arch openjdk..

But for runtime, it's a bit more complicated :
- how to handle this switch in a init.d script (without depending on dpkg-dev)
?
- how to handle this in an /etc/default/file ?

Cheers,
--
Damien - Debian Developper
http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan

Sylvestre Ledru 09-21-2011 08:54 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

Le mercredi 21 septembre 2011 à 21:20 +0200, Damien Raude-Morvan a
écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Le vendredi 02 septembre 2011 03:06:47, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> > >
> > > JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk is the answer? I believe
> > > that we will see some FTBFS problems. But maybe that it might a good
> > > reason the switch to default-java.
> >
> > openjdk-6-jre-headless now doesn't use java-6-openjdk anymore. so with the
> > appropriate conflicts, this symlink can be moved to default-jre-headless.
>
> Now, in unstable, we didn't have /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/ symlink or
> directory anymore. What's current plan ? Reintroduce this symlink with
> default-jdk package ?
Currently, what I am doing now is to add "default-jre-headless" as
dependency and using /usr/lib/jvm/default-java as path.
I know this will probably fail on some archs but I found it easy and not
that dirty.

Anyway, I think we should come up with a better solution... (probably as
a symlink as you suggest).

Sylvestre

Matthias Klose 09-21-2011 09:01 PM

On 09/21/2011 10:54 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le mercredi 21 septembre 2011 à 21:20 +0200, Damien Raude-Morvan a
> écrit :
>> Hi,

>>> openjdk-6-jre-headless now doesn't use java-6-openjdk anymore. so with the
>>> appropriate conflicts, this symlink can be moved to default-jre-headless.

^^^

>> Now, in unstable, we didn't have /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/ symlink or
>> directory anymore. What's current plan ? Reintroduce this symlink with
>> default-jdk package ?
> Currently, what I am doing now is to add "default-jre-headless" as
> dependency and using /usr/lib/jvm/default-java as path.
> I know this will probably fail on some archs but I found it easy and not
> that dirty.
>
> Anyway, I think we should come up with a better solution... (probably as
> a symlink as you suggest).

yes, see above.

Torsten Werner 09-25-2011 06:54 PM

openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

Hi,

I do not think that this is a good solution. IMHO openjdk-6 should
build a package with the generic symlink. As an alternative: would it
be possible to provide an almost generic symlink? Something like
java-6-openjdk-32 or java-6-openjdk-64 depending on architecture?

Cheers,
Torsten