Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Matthias Klose

Default openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 multiarch installable

On 09/25/2011 08:54 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,

> I do not think that this is a good solution. IMHO openjdk-6 should
> build a package with the generic symlink.

sure, just check it in.

> As an alternative: would it
> be possible to provide an almost generic symlink? Something like
> java-6-openjdk-32 or java-6-openjdk-64 depending on architecture?

no. doesn't make sense for armel/armhf, and creating almost generic symlinks for
almost all use cases is worse.

Matthias

Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Matthias Klose

On 09/25/2011 10:28 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 08:54 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:
>> Hi,

>> I do not think that this is a good solution. IMHO openjdk-6 should
>> build a package with the generic symlink.
>
> sure, just check it in.

hmm, on second thought, I think this looks wrong. at build time you always have
the output of dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH available, so you can
adjust it. At runtime that should be handled by all our different java wrapper
scripts.

Matthias

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Torsten Werner

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hmm, on second thought, I think this looks wrong. at build time you always have
> the output of dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH available, so you can
> adjust it. *At runtime that should be handled by all our different java wrapper
> scripts.

$ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH
x86_64-linux-gnu

How does that help setting JAVA_HOME? DEB_HOST_ARCH looks better but
my knowledge about multiarch is limited.

Torsten

Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Matthias Klose

On 09/26/2011 07:41 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> hmm, on second thought, I think this looks wrong. at build time you always have
>> the output of dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH available, so you can
>> adjust it. At runtime that should be handled by all our different java wrapper
>> scripts.
>
> $ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH
> x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> How does that help setting JAVA_HOME? DEB_HOST_ARCH looks better but
> my knowledge about multiarch is limited.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-$(DEB_HOST_ARCH)

or backport friendly:

JAVA_HOME = $(firstword $(wildcard /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-$(DEB_HOST_ARCH)
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk))

Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le lundi 26 septembre 2011 à 20:00 +0200, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> On 09/26/2011 07:41 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> hmm, on second thought, I think this looks wrong. at build time you always have
> >> the output of dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH available, so you can
> >> adjust it. At runtime that should be handled by all our different java wrapper
> >> scripts.
> >
> > $ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH
> > x86_64-linux-gnu
> >
> > How does that help setting JAVA_HOME? DEB_HOST_ARCH looks better but
> > my knowledge about multiarch is limited.
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-$(DEB_HOST_ARCH)
Well, at build time, I understand but how do you do at runtime ? There
are programs which need to guess the actual path and which won't depend
on our java wrappers...
Call dpkg-architecture ?

It would have been nice to discuss a bit about that before the
upload ...

Sylvestre

Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Matthias Klose

On 09/26/2011 11:13 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Well, at build time, I understand but how do you do at runtime ? There
> are programs which need to guess the actual path and which won't depend
> on our java wrappers...

which ones? and how do these guess the VM used?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le mardi 27 septembre 2011 à 00:48 +0200, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> On 09/26/2011 11:13 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > Well, at build time, I understand but how do you do at runtime ? There
> > are programs which need to guess the actual path and which won't depend
> > on our java wrappers...
>
> which ones?
It is mixing building and running but it can see a few here:
http://www.google.com/codesearch#search/&q=%
22/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/%22&type=cs

So, the new paths will break some applications.

> and how do these guess the VM used?
They have a static list...
I am maintaining this kind of list myself for Scilab as upstream and I
found it boring to have to update it regularly ...

Sylvestre