Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Eric Delcamp

Default package "eclipse" for testing

Hum... sorry but this official page ( http://www.debian.org/releases/ ) tells that :

The current stable distribution of Debian is version 6.0, codenamed squeeze.

The current testing distribution is wheezy.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:

Hi Eric,

debian-java@lists.debian.org is the list to go. I forward your message.

> hello, seems that generic package "eclipse" doesn't exists on "testing"

> (wheezy)

> i have on my sources.lists only testing main contrib non-free and it's

> stuck to 3.2.2-6.1 even if squeeze is on 3.5.

> i could install it directly with dpkg, and i think it's the only solution,

> since adding squeeze on sources.lists creates a dep conflict with testing.

> but i guess the easiest way for every user would be to have a clone of

> stable package on testing.

> rgds

> Eric

Testing is Squeeze nowadays. Wheezy has become stable since a couple of

months. You might wanna double-check your /etc/apt/sources.list

Eclipse 3.5 is in testing (=squeeze):

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/eclipse

Trying to install eclipse via dpkg might become a dependency nightmare.

Regards, Thomas Koch

Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Thomas Koch

Eric Delcamp:
> Hum... sorry but this official page ( http://www.debian.org/releases/ )
> tells that :
>
> The current stable distribution of Debian is version 6.0, codenamed
> *squeeze *.

Shii... You're right of course. I got confused. But since you're on testing it
would be easiest for you to install eclipse from unstable.

I have to admit that I'm still using upstream's eclipse in a chroot...

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Eric Delcamp

yes indeed i think i'll end to install it from unstable, but i'll switch back to testing, i don't want to stay on unstable.

but easiest would be to have it on testing, no ?
in fact i was ported on testing, but then removed 09AUG11 :

http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/eclipse.html

Eric Delcamp:

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Thomas Koch

Eric Delcamp:
> yes indeed i think i'll end to install it from unstable, but i'll switch
> back to testing, i don't want to stay on unstable.
>
> but easiest would be to have it on testing, no ?
> in fact i was ported on testing, but then removed 09AUG11 :
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/eclipse.html

Packages don't get "ported" to testing. Packages normally enter the Debian
archive in unstable and when there's no serious bug they'll automatically
migrate to testing.
The reason, why a package does not migrate can also be looked up:
http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=eclipse

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-08-29 10:25, Eric Delcamp wrote:
> yes indeed i think i'll end to install it from unstable, but i'll switch
> back to testing, i don't want to stay on unstable.
>
> but easiest would be to have it on testing, no ?
> in fact i was ported on testing, but then removed 09AUG11 :
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/eclipse.html
>

> [...]

I personally have both "unstable" and "testing" in my sources list and use:

"""
$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02aptlocal
APT:efault-Release "testing";
"""

This allows you to do stuff like

$ aptitude install eclipse-{rcp,platform{,-data},...}/unstable

It does not work super well (unless you use -t unstable, but I do not
like that too much). But it does allow you to cherry-pick packages from
unstable.

Anyhow, eclipse in unstable is probably uninstallable. eclipse 3.7 (>=
3.7~exp-5) from experimental should be working and installable on the
other hand.

~Niels

Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Paul Wise

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Niels Thykier wrote:

> I personally have both "unstable" and "testing" in my sources list and use:
>
> """
> $ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02aptlocal
> APT:efault-Release "testing";
> """

I personally prefer pinning for this. I have set it up such that when
I cherry-pick something from unstable/experimental I get updates,
until the version migrates/moves to testing/unstable, then I get the
updates from there. On servers I do something similar to get cheaper
backports where there are no dependency issues.

pabs@chianamo:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 510

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 550

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Eric Delcamp

ok guys, thanks for your answers.
i still feel would be nice to have eclipse on testing without adding unstable but i'll follow your advices.

take care,
Eric

Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Paul Wise

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Eric Delcamp wrote:

> ok guys, thanks for your answers.
> i still feel would be nice to have eclipse on testing without adding
> unstable but i'll follow your advices.

If you check the PTS you can find out why:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/eclipse.html
http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=eclipse

In this case it seems it needs to be rebuilt for the new xulrunner and
that it also has one new RC bug not yet fixed in unstable:

http://bugs.debian.org/631061