Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Default Future of sun-java6 package ?

Hello,

Dalibor Topic just replied through his blog to one of my question about
the update 27 of sun-java6 being available under the dlj license:
http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html

Guys, what is your opinion about that ?

rm of sun-java6 a target for wheezy if any security alerts come ?

Thanks,
Sylvestre

Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi Sylvestru,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
> Dalibor Topic just replied through his blog to one of my question about
> the update 27 of sun-java6 being available under the dlj license:
> http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html

thanks for the pointer.

> rm of sun-java6 a target for wheezy if any security alerts come ?

I think we should remove it from unstable soon. It is a good question
on how to proceed with (old-)stable in case of security issues. We
have kept sun-java5 for oldstable and maybe we can keep sun-java6 for
both stable and oldstable. I've Cc-ed the release managers.

Torsten

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Julien BLACHE

Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

>> rm of sun-java6 a target for wheezy if any security alerts come ?
>
> I think we should remove it from unstable soon. It is a good question

What's the status of the free JVMs wrt JDBC4?

I know firsthand that JDBC4 doesn't work with OpenJDK6 while it works
flawlessly with Sun Java6. Has this been fixed now?

If not, that's one good argument for keeping Sun Java6 around. Some
stuff just won't work without it (in my case, OpenBravo POS[1]).

JB.

[1] Which means Point-of-Sale here. Well, most of the time anyway.

--
Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: FA1E 5292
GPG Fingerprint : CC1A 2FE4 76FE 444A CD23 A5CD 26E9 8AEA FA1E 5292

Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le jeudi 25 août 2011 à 15:28 +0200, Julien BLACHE a écrit :
> Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> rm of sun-java6 a target for wheezy if any security alerts come ?
> >
> > I think we should remove it from unstable soon. It is a good question
>
> What's the status of the free JVMs wrt JDBC4?
>
> I know firsthand that JDBC4 doesn't work with OpenJDK6 while it works
> flawlessly with Sun Java6. Has this been fixed now?
I don't know for this specific software but I am aware, as a Scilab
developer, that some stuffs related to fonts or Swing do not work very
well with the OpenJDK ...
We should build a list of failing bugs under the OpenJDK while working
under sun-java6.

I don't think we should remove it asap. There is no emergency but I am
pretty sure this is going to happen sooner or later because of security
concerns ...

Sylvestre

Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Tom Marble

On 08/25/2011 08:37 AM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> I don't think we should remove it asap. There is no emergency but I am
> pretty sure this is going to happen sooner or later because of security
> concerns ...

Alas this is the end of the DLJ era.

Ideally we clearly mark bugs in OpenJDK in our (and upstream's)
bugtracker(s) and work to close them.

Completely removing the DLJ bundles really needs
to happen for OpenJDK to be "real" and I expect that
Oracle understands this.

Regards,

--Tom