Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Mat Scales

Default Apache Solr

Hello all,

I am interested in getting Apache Solr up-to-date in Debian.

The upstream Apache Solr project has been merged with the Lucene Core
project since version 3.1 (the two projects synced version numbers at
this point). The source package for solr contains the full source of
lucene, which is built as a dependency of the solr build.

The latest version of solr (3.3.0) appears to be mostly backwards
compatible with 1.4.1 (the latest version in Debian).

The existing solr package does not appear to be actively maintained.
Does any one else on the team still have an active interest in the
package or am I free to take this one on by myself?

How I would see this proceeding:

* "retire" the current solr source package
* Change the new lucene3 source package to build from the combined
lucene/solr upstream package rather than the lucene only one.
* Make the lucene3 package also produce the solr-common, solr-tomcat
and solr-jetty binary packages.

Alternatives I can think of:
* Keep the current solr package and have the lucene3 package build new
solr3-* binaries instead. Doesn't seem necessary as upgrading from
solr 1.4.1 to solr 3.3.0 appears to be fine with little to no BC
breakage
* Keep lucene3 building from the lucene only source and make the solr
package build from a modified solr-only +dfsg source package. Given
that the upstream plans involve increasing the integration between
solr and lucene, this seems a little short sighted.

Does any one have any comments?

Thanks,

Mat

Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Thomas Koch

Mat Scales:
> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in getting Apache Solr up-to-date in Debian.
> [...]
> Does any one have any comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mat

Hi Mat,

I've done 2 updates of the Solr package when I needed it for my last job. I
also packaged some other things from the ASF. During this I really got shocked
about the cluelessness of ASF people about many things that we in Debian take
for granted.
Me and Jan-Pascal van Best agreed that it may not be worth the effort to
maintain Solr in Debian. Those who need it may be better served by just
grabbing the upstream jar.
On the other hand there's only hope to get some sanity into the ASF if people
constantly remind the ASF about good practice. (sign releases with keys that
are connected with the web-of-trust, don't change your project structure with
every second release, care at least a bit about code quality, give a voice to
people not only to companies, provide reliable and modern tools, don't rely on
proprietary tools for the dev process)

So I don't see anyone holding you back to take care of Solr in whatever way
you like.

Good luck,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Mat Scales

Hi Thomas

On Aug 25, 2011 8:36 AM, "Thomas Koch" <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:

>* During this I really got shocked

> about the cluelessness of ASF people about many things that we in Debian take

> for granted.

> Me and Jan-Pascal van Best agreed that it may not be worth the effort to

> maintain Solr in Debian. Those who need it may be better served by just

> grabbing the upstream jar.

Thank you for the warning

> So I don't see anyone holding you back to take care of Solr in whatever way

> you like.

I'll go ahead with bringing it into lucene3 then.

> Good luck,

Thanks!

Mat

Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Victor Seva

Hi Mat,

2011/8/24 Mat Scales <mat@wibbly.org.uk>:
> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in getting Apache Solr up-to-date in Debian.
>
> The upstream Apache Solr project has been merged with the Lucene Core
> project since version 3.1 (the two projects synced version numbers at
> this point). The source package for solr contains the full source of
> lucene, which is built as a dependency of the solr build.
>
> The latest version of solr (3.3.0) appears to be mostly backwards
> compatible with 1.4.1 (the latest version in Debian).
>
> The existing solr package does not appear to be actively maintained.
> Does any one else on the team still have an active interest in the
> package or am I free to take this one on by myself?

I'm interested in maintain solr in Debian and since it is now orphan
[0]... are you still interested too?

> How I would see this proceeding:
>
> * "retire" the current solr source package
> * Change the new lucene3 source package to build from the combined
> lucene/solr upstream package rather than the lucene only one.
> * Make the lucene3 package also produce the solr-common, solr-tomcat
> and solr-jetty binary packages.
>
> Alternatives I can think of:
> * Keep the current solr package and have the lucene3 package build new
> solr3-* binaries instead. Doesn't seem necessary as upgrading from
> solr 1.4.1 to solr 3.3.0 appears to be fine with little to no BC
> breakage

I need solr 1.4 at my work... so I would like to keep it and create
solr3-* packages.

> * Keep lucene3 building from the lucene only source and make the solr
> package build from a modified solr-only +dfsg source package. Given
> that the upstream plans involve increasing the integration between
> solr and lucene, this seems a little short sighted.
>
> Does any one have any comments?

What are the plans for lucene3?

Greetings, Victor

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/652729

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

I can help with uploading the package. Just contact me.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
James Page

Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Victor Seva

2011/12/23 James Page <james.page@ubuntu.com>:
[...]
> On 22/12/11 11:54, Victor Seva wrote:
> [...]
>> What are the plans for lucene3?
>
> I have picked up on the initial packaging work that Mat completed;
> I've updated to 3.4.0 and pushed all my work to git.debian.org (see
> [0]) - I'm currently working on upgrading again to 3.5.0 but that is
> currently work in progress (there are a couple of minor issues with
> the build process that I need to work on) - hope to have finished in
> early January.
>
> I also want to work on a solr3 package as well once this work is
> complete; happy to help out with maintenance of the existing package
> set as well in the meantime.

Ok. It sounds great.

Now I have access to pkg-java repository so I'll going to work on solr.git

Cheers

Victor

Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Victor Seva

2011/12/26 Victor Seva <linuxmaniac@torreviejawireless.org>:
> Ok. It sounds great.
> Now I have access to pkg-java repository so I'll going to work on solr.git

upps. I've quit the related solr job. So, now I'm more involved on voip stuff.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers

Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Gasol Wu

Hi forks,
I've done the latest release of the Solr package[1],*just feel free to integrate my works to upstream.
Hope it will be useful.
* [1]:*https://github.com/gasol/solr

--*Gasol WuSent with Sparrow