Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Default RFS: lucene3

Le dimanche 21 aot 2011 00:57:31, Mat Scales a crit :
> Hello mentors!

Hi Matt,

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "lucene3".
[...]

You should try to contact directly Debian Java Team on debian-jav@l.d.o for
Java sponsoring.

> This package is an incompatible upgrade from the existing lucene2
> package, though it was built from scratch rather than updating the
> original package. The .changes and .deb files all pass lintian -iI
> --pedantic cleanly.

Why is your package not based on initial work done by Jan-Pascal van Best ?
svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/lucene3

Damien

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Mat Scales

[Forwarded due to not hitting "Reply to all"]

Hi Damien, thanks for your time.

> You should try to contact directly Debian Java Team on debian-jav@l.d.o for
> Java sponsoring.

Ah, thanks, I will!

> Why is your package not based on initial work done by Jan-Pascal van Best ?
> svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/lucene3

My first reason was that when I saw that Jan-Pascal had done some
packaging work I went to see what he had done - and the code was gone!
*I now know that this was actually because of a problem with
anonscm.debian.org/viewvc, but it meant that I started my own work
assuming that Jan-Pascal had removed his when he dropped his ITP.

Secondly, when I did find Jan-Pascal's work I noticed that he was
packaging upstream version 3.0.2 (from June 2010) while I had been
working on version 3.3.0 (from July 2011). Most of the work needed
redoing as there have been a lot of changes upstream in between. *I
have done a thorough examination of Jan-Pascal's packaging, however,
and noted anything that my package is missing. There wasn't a lot but
what there was no longer cleanly applies so they have become TODO
items. Most of the rest is simply not relevant any more.

Finally, I admit, there is a certain amount of personal taste
involved. Jan-Pascal's solution is quite a complicated CDBS affair
that doesn't reflect current policy because it is a direct increment
of a package that has been maintained for 6 years, while my own is a
pretty simple pure debhelper package that is quite clean. A new
maintainer of a new package seems like the perfect opportunity to
bring the package up to date.

Phew, I'm not sure any one expected such a long answer, even me

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Mat Scales

Hello Debian Java Team,

I am looking for a sponsor for the package "lucene3".

I have uploaded the source package to mentors.d.n at:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/lucene3
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lucene3/lucene3_3.3.0+dfsg-1.dsc

The package is also in git at:
git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-java/lucene3.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-java/lucene3.git

Kind regards,

Mat Scales

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Mat Scales

Hello all,

I'm still looking for a sponsor for lucene3:

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
James Page

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 23:49 +0100, Mat Scales wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm still looking for a sponsor for lucene3:

Hi Mat

I'm unable to sponsor your package but I do have the following feedback:

1) FTBFS on javadoc warnings

I was unable to get the package to build as is; the lucene build is
configured to fail on any javadoc warnings - adding
-Dfailonjavadocwarning=false to the ant call in debian/rules worked
around this issue and is probably a sensible default anyway.

2) debhelper + javahelper

I noticed that you have used .install and .links files to install and
link the jar files into /usr/share/java - I would recommend that you use
the javahelper package as it does alot of this work for you and will
deal with new upstream release numbers etc..

See file:///usr/share/doc/javahelper/tutorial.html (when you have it
installed :-)).

3) Repack of orig.tar.gz

The upstream tarball has been repacked to removed bundled libraries
etc.. and given the package a +dfsg version number - however this is not
done automatically through debian/watch or documented in the packaging.

I would recommend looking at automating this process - makes it easier
to pickup future upstream releases.

jh_repack might do enough for you - you can plumb it into the watch
file. I also don't believe that you really *NEED* to have the +dfsg
version number if you are just stripping our bundled jar files - anyone
else please feel free to correct me if this is not the case.

You can also use the git repo to store an upstream and pristine-tar
branch which makes life easier for sponsors - see
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/JavaGit for more details.

4) liblucene2-java Conflicts on -java packages

IMHO it would be better if lucene2 and lucene3 could co-exist on the
same system - they are just libraries so appropriate naming (which could
complicate point 2) i.e. lucene3.jar would be possible.

I'd like to see this package in Debian as I want to look at packaging
OpenGROK which depends on lucene3 so it would be great if someone could
sponsor.

HTH

Cheers

James
--
James Page
Ubuntu Server Developer

Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Le lundi 12 septembre 2011 16:40:32, James Page a crit :
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 23:49 +0100, Mat Scales wrote:
> > Hello all,

Hi Mat,

> I'm unable to sponsor your package but I do have the following feedback:
>
> 1) FTBFS on javadoc warnings
[...]
> 2) debhelper + javahelper
[...]
> 3) Repack of orig.tar.gz
[...]
> 4) liblucene2-java Conflicts on -java packages
[...]

I would like to sponsor your package. Did you had time to review James
comments on your packaging ?

Damien - Debian Developper
http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan

Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Ľuboš Koščo

Hey guys

while at it can you look at / prepare lucene 3.5 too ?
(I see Mat works on 3.3)

James - {OpenGrok 0.11 will be released with lucene 3.0.2
however the new dev version (0.12 most probably) will use lucene 3.5 (I just prepared the patch and will push as soon as we get 0.11 out) - mostly because of performance and less RAM usage

thnx
Lubos

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@debian.org> wrote:

Le lundi 12 septembre 2011 16:40:32, James Page a écrit :

> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 23:49 +0100, Mat Scales wrote:

> > Hello all,

Hi Mat,

> I'm unable to sponsor your package but I do have the following feedback:

> 1) FTBFS on javadoc warnings

[...]

> 2) debhelper + javahelper

[...]