Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Torsten Werner

Default dynamic Text in package descriptions

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> wrote:
> ! *This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible
> ! *runtime recommended for the ${jre:arch} architecture,
> ! *which is ${jre} for ${jre:arch}.

the interesting part is ${jre}. It depends on the architecture, too.
What do you suggest? Should we drop that information and force the
user to look at the Depends field? Or we could reference an arch
dependent README.Debian from the Description field. That would work
because nobody translates README.Debian.

Torsten

Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Torsten Werner

Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Colin Watson

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 01:28:59PM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 02:11:27PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > - This make extra load for the translation of this description.
>
> It does and for that reason I'm including debian-i18n in this discussion.
> For the record I support the idea that dynamic descriptions should be
> discouraged unless there is a sound technical reason.

It may well also cause problems for multiarch. apt supports moving long
descriptions to an architecture-independent Translations-en file, which
makes it significantly more bandwidth-efficient to download Packages
files for multiple architectures. Obviously this only works correctly
if descriptions are identical across architectures (which is,
fortunately, mostly true).

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Colin Watson

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Gergely Nagy

Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> wrote:
>> ! *This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible
>> ! *runtime recommended for the ${jre:arch} architecture,
>> ! *which is ${jre} for ${jre:arch}.
>
> the interesting part is ${jre}. It depends on the architecture, too.
> What do you suggest? Should we drop that information and force the
> user to look at the Depends field? Or we could reference an arch
> dependent README.Debian from the Description field. That would work
> because nobody translates README.Debian.

How about something like this:

This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible
runtime recommended for each architecture.

I don't think one needs to repeat parts of Depends in the
description. If one's interested, it's just as easy to look at the
Depends as it is to look at the Description.

In case the Depends is not enough either, then this sounds like perfect
README.Debian material.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Gergely Nagy