Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Tom Marble

Default openjdk-6 segfaults and gcc-4.6.1 failures

All:

Just a quick note for those interested in building OpenJDK
(6, 7 or 8) in unstable...

I am now getting build failures on amd64... Some of these
seem to be related to gcc 4.6.1 (resolved by using gcc 4.5.3)
and some seem to be a new round of segfaults in
openjdk-6 6b18-1.8.9-0.1.

I will continue to work to find the root cause of the
gcc failure.

I think we need to consider the issues in updating
openjdk-6 to b23 (IcedTea6 trunk). Any opinions on this?

Regards,

--Tom

Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Matthias Klose

On 08/04/2011 05:13 AM, Tom Marble wrote:
> All:
>
> Just a quick note for those interested in building OpenJDK
> (6, 7 or 8) in unstable...
>
> I am now getting build failures on amd64... Some of these
> seem to be related to gcc 4.6.1 (resolved by using gcc 4.5.3)
> and some seem to be a new round of segfaults in
> openjdk-6 6b18-1.8.9-0.1.
>
> I will continue to work to find the root cause of the
> gcc failure.
>
> I think we need to consider the issues in updating
> openjdk-6 to b23 (IcedTea6 trunk). Any opinions on this?

which architectures?
which versions?
do you see additional failures in the jtreg tests?
it may be better to trace this in the debian or icedtea bug tracker.

Matthias

PS: You're still a member of the OpenJDK team afaik

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Tom Marble

On 08/04/2011 02:41 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> which architectures?
Attempting to build on amd64.

> which versions?
I used openjdk-6 6b18-1.8.9-0.1 for bootstrapping, but I'm quite
interested in your opinion of how far we should have openjdk-6
track upstream (IcedTea + Oracle)?

> do you see additional failures in the jtreg tests?
I was attempted to rebuild jigsaw and, alas, as the build
failed I did not get to the jtreg tests.

> it may be better to trace this in the debian or icedtea bug tracker.
Right.. as soon as I have identified a specific cause
I will file a bug.

The purpose for my mail is it seems we're having some
trouble building on mips due to gcc 4.6 as well (and so
I'm wondering if we're tripping over the same gcc issue).

Regards,

--Tom

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Matthias Klose

On 08/04/2011 02:34 PM, Tom Marble wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 02:41 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> which architectures?
> Attempting to build on amd64.
>
>> which versions?
> I used openjdk-6 6b18-1.8.9-0.1 for bootstrapping, but I'm quite
> interested in your opinion of how far we should have openjdk-6
> track upstream (IcedTea + Oracle)?
>
>> do you see additional failures in the jtreg tests?
> I was attempted to rebuild jigsaw and, alas, as the build
> failed I did not get to the jtreg tests.

The build logs for the packages should have the test summaries included.

>> it may be better to trace this in the debian or icedtea bug tracker.
> Right.. as soon as I have identified a specific cause
> I will file a bug.
>
> The purpose for my mail is it seems we're having some
> trouble building on mips due to gcc 4.6 as well (and so
> I'm wondering if we're tripping over the same gcc issue).

seems to be related to gcj-4.6, which apparently works well enough for the
stage2 builds on other architectures.

Please do use the version from experimental for your tests. once this version
builds on mips/mipsel, it should be uploaded to unstable.