Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Torsten Werner

Default unsupporting Architectu mips

Hi,

we have discussed the problems with mips in New York at DebConf10 last
year. I believe it is time to stop supporting Java on this architecture
because nobody really takes care of it. That is why I want to suggest
the following radical approach, which needs to be discussed with the
release team and the mips porters:

- Remove the binary packages built by openjdk-6 on mips.
- Do no longer built default-jdk/jre/... on mips.
- Keep gcj on mips but don't use it actively for building packages on
this platform.
- Remove *-jni and *-gcj packages on mips.
- Change packages that could build java code optionally to skip the Java
part on mips. Subversion is an example that has already been changed in
such a way.

And later:

- Get icedtea-7-jre-jamvm built on kfreebsd-*.
- Remove *-gcj packages on all architectures except for a minimal set of
*-gcj packages that are needed to bootstrap openjdk.

That would mean that we would no longer support Java on mips at all and
in the longer term we would use gcj only to bootstrap openjdk. What do
you think?

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Rene Engelhard

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 02:58:38PM +0200, Torsten Werner wrote:
> - Get icedtea-7-jre-jamvm built on kfreebsd-*.
> - Remove *-gcj packages on all architectures except for a minimal set of
> *-gcj packages that are needed to bootstrap openjdk.

if openjdk then works (for LibreOffice) on ia64, yes, I could live with that.

Currently the gcj-using archs for LibreOffice are ia64, kfreebsd-%.
mips switched to OpenJDK, mipsel is in limbo...

But, umm, shouldn't you have sent this mail to -mips, too? :-)

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
.'`. René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Rene Engelhard

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

Am 28.07.2011 15:58, schrieb Rene Engelhard:
> if openjdk then works (for LibreOffice) on ia64, yes, I could live with that.

it does not work on ia64?

> But, umm, shouldn't you have sent this mail to -mips, too? :-)

Let me quote myself: "needs to be discussed with the
release team and the mips porters".

I want to get input from the Java people first.

Torsten

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Torsten Werner

Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM