Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Olivier Sallou

Default GWT2 packaging

Hi,
my package (and certainly others) uses GWT 2.
This version is not packaged in Debian, and maintainers did not answered
my requests to know if it was planned (via mail and bug request).

GWT is quite huge and seems really a pain to packagedue to dependencies.
So I wonder if someone is intending to package it, or if it could be a
solution to package it in non-free section with binaries (jar files).

Projects based on GWT 2 could be packaged more easily (though being in
contrib instead of free).

Doing so however raise also the question of package naming. There is a
GWT package. It could be possible to create a GWT2, but what if someday
GWT "official" package is upgraded....

If someone has ideas on the subject.....

Thanks

--
Olivier Sallou

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438 (pgp.mit.edu)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335 D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438

Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Alexandre Rossi

Hi,

> my package (and certainly others) uses GWT 2.
> This version is not packaged in Debian, and maintainers did not answered
> my requests to know if it was planned (via mail and bug request).

Same here.

> GWT is quite huge and seems really a pain to packagedue to dependencies.
> So I wonder if someone is intending to package it, or if it could be a
> solution to package it in non-free section with binaries (jar files).
>
> Projects based on GWT 2 could be packaged more easily (though being in
> contrib instead of free).

This is one idea.

Another would be to package the GWT compiler only which has fewer deps
and not the dev tools.

I have begun working on this. The first problem is that it does not
compile against jdt 3.5 (sid version) but jdt 3.4. The first thing I
wanted to try was to embed jdt 3.4.

I'm very interested in helping bug I haven't found time to go further yet.

Some useful resources :
- Fedora packaging effort ressources :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jlaska/gwt
- Upstream related bug report :
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=4484

Alex

Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 à 09:36 +0200, Olivier Sallou a écrit :
> Hi,
> my package (and certainly others) uses GWT 2.
> This version is not packaged in Debian, and maintainers did not answered
> my requests to know if it was planned (via mail and bug request).
I think they would be happy to have some helps on it

> GWT is quite huge and seems really a pain to packagedue to dependencies.
Do you have a list of missing packages and conflict versions of these
dependencies ?

> So I wonder if someone is intending to package it, or if it could be a
> solution to package it in non-free section with binaries (jar files).
We really prefer to avoid such things...

Sylvestre

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Thomas Koch

Alexandre Rossi:
> I have begun working on this. The first problem is that it does not
> compile against jdt 3.5 (sid version) but jdt 3.4. The first thing I
> wanted to try was to embed jdt 3.4.
Hi Alex,

how's life? And the gwt2 packaging? :-)
I'd also need gwt2 to package gerrit.
Is there an ITP to follow? A GIT repo with your packaging so far? Have you
documented the missing dependencies somewhere?

Thank you for your work!

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Alexandre Rossi

Hi,

> I'd also need gwt2 to package gerrit.
> Is there an ITP to follow? A GIT repo with your packaging so far? Have you
> documented the missing dependencies somewhere?

>From the Debian bug report[1], works seems to be occurring :
$ svn co svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus/gwt/trunk

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/624205

I still do not know if embedding JDT 3.4 is worth trying (from both a
technical point of view as it may bring in all of the eclipse source
code, and from a Debian policy point of view). I really need to find
some time and fire up eclipse in order to make gwt compile against JDT
3.5.

But first, I need to merge my draft work with what exists from the
pkg-eucalyptus repository. I doubt I'll have something interesting,
but who knows.

I did not document the missing dependencies, I was using a
try-to-build and fix approach. I was focusing in getting the compiler
to build, which is what I need. Someone from Fedora did that work[2].

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jlaska/gwt

Cheers,

Alex

Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 05:36:35PM +0200, Alexandre Rossi a écrit :

> >From the Debian bug report[1], works seems to be occurring :
> $ svn co svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus/gwt/trunk
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/624205

Dear all,

I think that if more packages start to depend on gwt, it would be appropriate
to transfer gwt to the Debian Java packaging team, if you accept it of course.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Old 08-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Steffen Möller

I agree, no prob for me since I am with pkg-java already. And given my limited history in gwt maintenance it is very kind of yours to have asked in the first place. The number of esp. external contributors will be lower in git ... if a move towards that could be delayed?

Many thanks and regards

Steffen

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> schrieb:

>Le Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 05:36:35PM +0200, Alexandre Rossi a écrit :
>>
>> >From the Debian bug report[1], works seems to be occurring :
>> $ svn co svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus/gwt/trunk
>>
>> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/624205
>
>Dear all,
>
>I think that if more packages start to depend on gwt, it would be appropriate
>to transfer gwt to the Debian Java packaging team, if you accept it of course.
>
>Have a nice day,
>
>--
>Charles Plessy
>Debian Med packaging team,
>http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med
>Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Alexandre Rossi

Dear all,

Please find attached a patch against the current packaging svn
svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus/gwt/trunk .

It make it possible to build gwt-dev.jar .

I'll continue working towards building gwt-user.jar (when I get the
chance), but I wanted to share my work in case people were tackling
the issue.

Regards,

Alex

Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-08-31 18:46, Alexandre Rossi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Please find attached a patch against the current packaging svn
> svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus/gwt/trunk .
>
> It make it possible to build gwt-dev.jar .
>
> I'll continue working towards building gwt-user.jar (when I get the
> chance), but I wanted to share my work in case people were tackling
> the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex

Hi,

I would probably not use "org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.5.2.v_981_R35x.jar",
since the last part of a version in eclipse jars has been known to be
volatile.
Consider a wildcard like "org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.5.2.*.jar" and please
check it works with eclipse 3.7 (in experimental).

~Niels

Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Alexandre Rossi

Hi all,

I'll now share my work at the following URL:
http://sousmonlit.dyndns.org/~niol/gitweb/?p=gwt-debian.git/.git;a=summary

This also should work :
$ git clone http://sousmonlit.dyndns.org/~niol/repositories.git/gwt-debian.git/.git

(git is easier to work with without commit access, I'll continue to
provide diffs against the current svn when asked, please do not see
this as a unilateral decision of a switch to git, I'll happily
contribute what I can regardless of the SCM)

I'll also follow-up only on debian-java@l.d.o to avoid abusing
cross-posting, and maybe to the bug report for important stuff.

Thanks,

Alex